Chapter 41

Road of Destruction

“Drop the gun!” Bosco ordered loudly then suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

Everyone turned to look at him. Surprise registered on Raymond’s face when he saw the target of Bosco’s gun was Michael and not them. Derek and Joe looked warily at Bosco trying to figure out what he was up to.

Michael, however, was the only one who didn’t seem surprise by Bosco’s action. “You let her go didn’t you?” he asked with accusation, his eyes shooting daggers at him.

Bosco nodded and took a step forward, his gun steady in his hands. “It’s over Michael. Drop the gun now.”

Michael laughed and shook his head, lowering his armed hand at the same time, “Why?” he asked quietly. His eyes bored into Bosco then at Raymond. “I trusted both of you!”

“I’m a cop,” Bosco stated flatly, advancing towards him in small steps. “It’s my duty to arrest guys like you.”

Raymond turned to look at Bosco in shock, “You’re a cop?!”

Bosco lifted his mouth in a smile and smugly said, “Never could have guessed it couldn’t you. I played the part so well, in fact too well. Sometimes I even forget myself that I’m one of the good guys.”

Just then they heard sirens outside and a voice through a loud speaker said, “You are surrounded. Please come out with your hands up.”

Michael suddenly turned and pointed his gun at Derek. Bosco saw his intentions and without thinking pulled his trigger firing at Michael. The bullet killed him instantly and Michael fell to the ground with a loud thud. Seconds later dozens of cops came charging in with shields and guns aimed at them.

Bosco dropped his hand with the gun and pulled out his badge with the other, “I’m a cop too. We have one down over here. Call an ambulance. There are more of them. They’re locked in the basement.” When the officers went about their work, Bosco walked over to where Raymond, Derek and Joe stood. “You guys have to come back to the station with me.”

“We’re the victims here,” Joe said with irritation, “What are you arresting us for?”

Raymond stared at Bosco and without emotion said, “You can’t charge us with anything.”

Bosco smirked, “Who said anything about arresting you guys? Charmaine is at the police station waiting for you.” With relief, they began to file out of the house and Bosco pulled Raymond to the side. “Listen, I’m sorry about acting like a jerk towards you. I needed it to seem real and the only way was to make it seem as if I was in competition with you since you were Michael’s number one man. I hope you won’t be mad.”

Raymond didn’t know what to make of his apology then his thought turned to Charmaine and what he did to her. “The person you should be apologizing to is Charmaine, not me. You mistreated her and what you did was cruel.”

Bosco winced at the reminder. “I know. I overdid that and I’ve already apologized to her. She said that she’ll forgive me if I bring you back to her in one piece.”

“If she’s able to forgive you then I could too,” Raymond said then the two men shook hands.

--------------------------------------

Charmaine paced the waiting room of the police station and when she saw Bosco walk in she quickly ran to his side, “Where’s Raymond?”

“Back here,” Raymond said softly and he gave her a loving smile.

With her eyes only on Raymond, Charmaine ran to him and threw her arms around him, “Thank God you’re alright.”

Derek walked up beside them and sighed dramatically, “Oh Charmaine, Joe and I are alright too in case you care.”

Charmaine stepped out of Raymond’s arms and was stunned to see Derek and Joe, “What are you guys doing here?”

Joe chuckled, “It’s a long story but this is not the place for it. We’ll tell you all about it on our way home.”

Charmaine took Raymond’s hand and with all the love sparkling in her eyes said, “Let’s go home.”

Raymond nodded and the four of them turned to leave but Bosco stopped them. He stood in front of Raymond and said, “I’m a cop and I arrest the bad guys. I sincerely hope that you guys would make a change for the better. I don’t want to have to arrest you guys in the future.”

Derek and Joe exchanged looks and an unspoken understanding was passed between them. Looking meaningfully at Charmaine, Derek said, “After this we realized what is most important.” He patted Bosco on the arm and added, “You won’t be getting any trouble from us.”