four.

What a Man Wants

A/N: It's only been a day and I'm back with another chapter! Sorry to my Baekchen readers, that story will have to wait for another day.

But enjoy this chapter of What a Man Wants! I love reading all of the comments and seeing new subscribers and votes. ^^


“So do you two have a friends with benefits thing going on?” Yixing asks a day later after yesterday’s “incident”. (Junmyeon wouldn’t really call it an “incident”, but Yixing insists.)

 

“Of course not! That’s absurd,” Junmyeon exclaims.

 

“Then what is it?” Yixing replies, before picking up a pale-gold bowtie. “How does this look?” He asks, holding the small bowtie up against his neck.

 

I have no idea myself, Junmyeon thinks to himself, but the words that come out of his mouth say otherwise.

“Think of it as a wooing,” he says, “and that bowtie looks good. I’m sure Jongin would like it.”

 

“Oh, shut it,” Yixing snaps. Junmyeon would’ve thought that his roommate was actually mad if it wasn’t for the smile playing on his lips. “But then again, I would look pretty hot with this.” Yixing proceeds to check the price of the bowtie before pointing in Junmyeon’s direction. “Aren’t you going to buy something?”

 

Junmyeon scans the racks of suits and ties before giving his friend an innocent shrug. “I have no idea. Plus,” he adds suddenly, “I don’t know what color Jongdae’s wearing. I’ll let him decide.”

 

“Wow,” Yixing says, smirking. “And I thought you couldn’t get any sappier than this. But I’ll send a text asking, since you’re obviously too lazy to do it yourself.” Yixing pulls out his phone and shoots out a text to Jongdae before picking out a suit to go along with his tie. Junmyeon lazily watches his friend go through racks and racks of suits before he feels his phone buzz.

 

Intrigued, he reaches into his pocket and smiles when he finds it’s a text from Jongdae.

 

[140214, 1:34PM]

To: Junmyeon

From: Jongdae

xing told me that i needed to pick a color or something?

 

[140214, 1:34PM]

To: Jongdae

From: Junmyeon

Yeah, for the ball, remember?

 

[140214, 1:35PM]

To: Junmyeon

From: Jongdae

that was an awfully quick reply, but red, obviously.

 

[140214, 1:35PM]

To: Jongdae

From: Junmyeon

Oh, the color for desire, eh? Nice choice ;)

 

[140214, 1:35PM]

To: Junmyeon

From: Jongdae

… arent you supposed to be helping yixing?

 

Junmyeon can’t help but laugh at Jongdae’s evasiveness, but nonetheless, he heeds to Jongdae’s request and picks out a white suit and a red silk tie before being thrown into the dressing room by one excited Yixing.

 

Since when was he a shopping enthusiast? Junmyeon internally groans before putting on the outfit. Given the fact that he has been to countless dinner parties, it took him little to no trouble to dress. After straightening his tie, he steps out and is greeted by someone he didn’t expect to see.

 

“Jongdae?”

 

Said boy is currently sitting on a couch in the dressing room, probably waiting for Junmyeon. “Where did Yixing go?” Junmyeon asks, concerned as to where Yixing could’ve run off to.

 

“He said he had to go meet up with Jongin,” Jongdae replies, “so he asked me to take over for him.”

Junmyeon could’ve sworn that he saw Jongdae’s face flush, but he doesn’t bother mentioning it.

 

“Well?”

 

“Well what?” Jongdae asks, folding his arms across his chest.

 

“How do I look?” Junmyeon replies, moving towards the large body mirror in the middle of the dressing room. “You said red, right?”

 

“Yeah,” Jongdae mumbles. “Junmyeon,” he calls, and said boy turns around to find that Jongdae had moved from his seat to almost directly behind him. He wonders how he didn’t notice him in the reflection of the mirror.

“You… You look nice,” Jongdae says, smiling and making eye contact despite the blush coloring his face.

 

Junmyeon finds himself taken aback from Jongdae’s sudden compliment, but he doesn’t let it faze him. “Thanks,” he replies, flashing the other a stunning smile. “Why don’t you go pick out your own outfit for the ball?”

 

Jongdae nods and proceeds out towards the racks and Junmyeon goes back into the stall to change into his regular outfit. When he comes out, Jongdae’s already in an outfit -- similar to Junmyeon’s, but his suit is black instead and a red bowtie sits snugly around his neck. Junmyeon thinks he looks stunning, as Jongdae turns towards him and shyly smiles.

 

“Does it look okay?” He asks, fidgeting with the buttons of the coat. Jongdae is the sassiest, most charismatic person Junmyeon has ever met, yet, Jongdae looks so insecure and vulnerable at the moment  that it breaks Junmyeon’s heart.

 

So of course, Junmyeon walks right up to Jongdae, placing his hands on the latter’s shoulders, and lowering his face until his lips are just inches away from the other’s.

 

“You. Look. Amazing.” Junmyeon breathes, pronouncing each word softly, as if the words themselves could break.

Junmyeon almost feels like smirking when Jongdae immediately tenses, but he takes a step back before giving the other a genuine smile.

 

“You really do look great,” Junmyeon says. “Red is a good color on you.”

 

Jongdae mumbles a thanks before hurrying into the dressing room to change out of his formal wear. Junmyeon waits for Jongdae, but the time he uses to think is stopped by the entrance of another person to the dressing room.

 

Said person happened to be Sehun, who looks just as shocked as Junmyeon.

 

“Junmyeon?”

 

“Sehun. What are you doing here?” Junmyeon asks curtly, loud enough for Jongdae to hear, who immediately freezes in place inside the dressing stall.

 

“Isn’t a man allowed to shop wherever he pleases?” Sehun replies. “I’m sure you’re shopping for the ball as well, am I right?”

 

Junmyeon gives a short nod, letting a polite, business-like smile grace his lips. “Of course. My apologies,” is all he says in return.

Sehun, on the other hand, grins and takes a step closer towards Junmyeon. “You actually look pretty cute when you smile,” Sehun says innocently. “Speaking of the ball, do you have a date yet?”

 

Junmyeon uncomfortably clears his throat and decides to put some distance between Sehun and himself. “Uh, thanks. And yes, as a matter of fact, I do.”

 

Unfortunately for Junmyeon, Sehun presses on, a devilish smile playing on his lips. “Don’t tell me it’s one of the losers who you sit with. You could do so much better than that.”

 

“Well I don’t know about you, but one of those losers are going with one of your friends to the ball, so I’d watch my tongue if I were you.” Junmyeon retorts, putting as much distance between him and the other as he can.

 

Sehun recoils in surprise, and it’s apparent that Sehun hasn’t found out about Yixing and Jongin yet. “What in the world are you talking about?” He asks Junmyeon in surprise, and Junmyeon has to swallow down the urge to laugh at the stupefied look on the other’s face.

 

“Looks like you’ll just have to see at the ball,” Junmyeon replies. “Now, if you excuse me, I have to meet my date.”

Sehun glares at Junmyeon for a second before throwing him a smirk that throws Junmyeon off.

 

Why in the world would he be smirking? Junmyeon thinks.

 

“Whatever. Don’t say I didn’t make this offer to you,” Sehun mocks, before strolling out of the dressing room.

 

Junmyeon finds himself let out a sigh of relief before walking back towards the stalls.

“It’s okay Jongdae, he’s gone.” He calls, and tentatively, he sees Jongdae poke his head out before walking out and approaching Junmyeon.

 

“That idiot didn’t do anything to you, right?” Jongdae scoffs, eyeing the door, as if said idiot was going to walk back in.

 

“No, no,” Junmyeon chuckles. “Nothing like that happened. Let’s just go,” ignoring Jongdae’s concerned glare.

 

So the two depart the store after paying for their outfits, and much to Junmyeon’s delight, Jongdae asks Junmyeon to go with him to a nearby cafe.

“It’s nothing special,” Jongdae says, “Yixing asked us to meet him there.”

 

“Yixing, hm? Looks like we’ll be meeting a special someone,” Junmyeon replies, pointing to the window where Yixing is currently sitting with a tall, dark, and lean someone.

 

“Wow,” Jongdae says, pushing the door open before making his way towards Yixing.

 

“What’s up, Xing?” Jongdae asks, taking a seat next to Junmyeon.

 

“Hello, Jongin.” Junmyeon greets, flashing him a gentle smile.

 

Jongin nods politely before returning the smile. “Junmyeon. Yixing’s told me about you.”

 

Once all greetings are exchanged, Yixing looks nervously at Jongin, but relaxes once Jongin gives him a soothing smile. Jongdae and Junmyeon exchange knowing looks, but they let Yixing talk anyways.

 

“Well, I guess, I just wanted to say that, Jongin and I are officially a thing.” Yixing says quietly, leaning into the boy next to him.

Jongdae and Junmyeon both beam at the new couple and exchange congratulations with the duo.

 

“Does Sehun know yet? He doesn’t even know that you two are going to the ball together,” Junmyeon asks, recalling his encounter with the platinum haired boy earlier.

 

This time, it’s Jongin who speaks up.

“No, not yet.” He says. “But Luhan knows, and he’s totally chill with it. Besides, if Sehun minds, then that’s his own problem.”

 

“Well, just keep it safe, you two,” Jongdae teases, earning a kick from Yixing from under the table. “Ow! Kidding, kidding.”

 

“Thanks for, you know. Not freaking out.” Jongin says, leaning over to grip Yixing’s hand.

 

“No problem,” Junmyeon replies.

 

The rest of their impromptu lunch consists of topics revolving around the new couple, and everyone at the table finds themselves enjoying the time they spend together. But alas, soon it’s time for Yixing and Jongin to depart for dance class, leaving Jongdae and Junmyeon to stroll back towards the dorms as the sun has just finished setting.

 

“Today was fun,” Jongdae comments on their way back, tilting his head up to look at the stars.

 

“For you, yeah.” Junmyeon laughs. “All you did was tease the hell out of those two. I don’t think I’ve seen Yixing so red before.”

 

“He liked it,” Jongdae gushes, proud of his successful attempts to tease the couple.

 

“Of course,” Junmyeon replies, giving Jongdae a light shove.

 

The two fall silent after the short exchange, but Junmyeon can feel Jongdae sneaking glances at him.

 

So like the gentleman he is, Junmyeon strikes up conversation, a debate between two bands which Jongdae eagerly joins in. (“VIXX doesn’t come anywhere near BAP,” Jongdae protests vehemently, but Junmyeon argues the contrary and the two argue like little kids.)

They’re both so absorbed in their conversation that they don’t realize they’ve stumbled upon Junmyeon’s door to his shared dorm already.

 

“Thanks for today,” Jongdae says. “It was really… enjoyable.”

 

Junmyeon smiles at Jongdae’s sincerity, and he feels warmth bubble up in his stomach.

 

“Of course, the same goes to you.” Junmyeon replies, and with that, Jongdae bids Junmyeon farewell before going towards the elevator.

 

Junmyeon lies flat on his bed and thinks about how exactly he’s going to get out of this mess.

This mess being the mess that Jongdae has caused. The mess that keeps him up at night.

What exactly are we? Junmyeon ponders for a second.

What Jongdae and I have… it’s more than a friendship, but less than a relationship.

How exactly am I supposed to get out of this crazy situation and finally clear the lines that have been blurred during our friendship?

 

Junmyeon is about to think of a solution, when he’s suddenly interrupted by his cellphone.

 

“Hello?”

“Junmyeon.”

“... Father. What can I do for you?”

“We need to talk.”


And there it is! Who would've expected the whole Sehun-Suho exchange thing? (Tbh neither did I, it kinda just happened) and yeah. Kaixing kinda just wormed its way into my story. But nonetheless, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! :D

(PS) I had no time to proof-read, so please excuse any mistakes! uvu