one.

What a Man Wants

A/N: I'm finally back on my new story! Suchen, whoo~ This got the most votes on my poll, so here it is! I hope it's not too disappointing. Enjoy! 


“Junmyeon.”

 

A boy with dark, silky hair looks up from the documents scattered on his desk.

 

“Yes, father?” He replies. “If you’re wondering about the documents, I’m just about finished with them. After going over them, I think we need to talk to the Duke of Areanea about trade policies. We can’t have more of their ships taken by pirates.”

 

Junmyeon’s father only chuckles. “That’s not what I wanted to talk to you about, but I’m glad to hear that. I’ll schedule the meeting right away.” Junmyeon immediately straightens up. “I’m here to tell you that I’ve signed you up to go to SM Prep, a prestigious school.”

 

“What?!” Junmyeon exclaims. “I’m sorry father,” he says, “but why? The education I get here at home is sufficient.”

 

“I know this is sudden,” his father explains, “but we can’t afford to shelter you here forever. SM Prep is famous for its excellent education system, and it’ll help you build connections with people around you. You start tomorrow,” and his father walks out, leaving Junmyeon staring after his father in confusion.

 

Junmyeon had always led a bright life. He was born with natural good looks, and was the heir to a famous company dealing with trade. At every meeting, he had always had countless women approach him and drape themselves all over him. He had men approach him with business deals, presenting bribes in the form of cars and estates. Despite the pleasure of everyone’s need to please him, he declined all of them. He had no interest in people as shallow as those looking for only wealth. He may have a kind heart and a kind mind, but he knew how to play the cards to get exactly what he wanted.

 

This was the business world, after all.

 

Still, Junmyeon could never truly detest anyone. It was too much to see hurt flash in people's eyes whenever he was too distant or cold.

 

“One day, that kind heart of yours will only lead to great pain,” Junmyeon recalls what his father had said to him all those years ago as he’s preparing himself for bed.

 

Junmyeon can’t imagine what could possibly happen that would lead to such pain from kind-heartedness.

--

Junmyeon wakes up at exactly 7AM. He does his regular routine -- showering, fixing his hair, adding the slightest bit of makeup on his face, brushing his teeth, etc. But instead of throwing on his regular suit that he wears for business, he stares at the school’s uniform. Perfectly fitting his body, he takes the time to admire and make slight adjustments to the snug navy cardigan. He tightens and straightens his maroon striped tie and pulls on the tight black dress pants.

 

It’s a bit cliche-looking, but it’ll do.

 

“Remember son,” his father says. Junmyeon’s hand freezes at the knob of his door. “If you show that kind heart of yours in school, you’ll only be taken advantage of.”

--

Eyes turn and whispers echo in the halls.

 

“Hey, have you seen the new guy?”

 

“He’s sooo hot!”

 

“What’s his name?”

 

“I heard he’s the heir to some huge company!”

 

Junmyeon rolls his eyes as he walks down the halls.

Don’t let them see, Junmyeon repeats over and over in his head. Don’t let them see how vulnerable you are.

 

“Hey there,” and Junmyeon turns to see a girl leaning on the wall nearby. “You the new kid?”

 

“Yeah.” That’s all Junmyeon says, it’s all Junmyeon can say because he feels so guilty for being so cold.

 

“Well then, new kid,” she says, and he can see the lust oozing out of the words coming out of her painted lips. “How ‘bout I show you around?” She approaches him, so close that Junmyeon can smell the body mist she sprayed on this morning.

 

Hollister, Junmyeon notes. How unclassy. She could’ve at least tried on some Versace.

 

“Thanks, but no thanks.” Junmyeon turns around and walks towards the front office.

He opens the door to see the office almost completely empty. He finds the secretary sitting in her office with a boy at her side.

 

“How many times have I told you,” he hears her say. “You’re making way too much trouble here!”

 

Junmyeon watches the boy inside snort. “All I did what pull a small prank. You can’t suspend me for that.”

 

“You put a pin on Mrs. Park’s chair!” And the two continue to bicker, causing Junmyeon to let out a small laugh. The sound attracts the attention of the two inside, and the secretary immediately clears .

 

“Oh, would you be Mr. Kim Junmyeon?” She asks. Junmyeon nods his head in reply, and she straightens up and flattens her skirt. “Yes yes, we’ve been expecting you. I’m sorry for the lack of staff, it’s lunch hour at the moment.” She quickly signs Junmyeon in. “Come back after classes to get your dorm assignment and keys. For now, you should take a tour of the school. In fact,” she continues, eyeing the boy next to her, “Jongdae here can take you on a tour.”

 

“What?!” Jongdae sputters. “No way am I giving some transfer student a tour! I have better things to be doing.”

 

“Jongdae, you don’t have a choice.” The secretary gives Jongdae a hardened stare and Jongdae eventually complies.

 

“Let’s go and get this over with,” Jongdae says as he pulls Junmyeon with him.

 

They spend majority of the day touring the large campus, but as the sun sets, Junmyeon notices the way the lights bounce off of Jongdae’s strong features and the way his adam’s apple bobs in a way that makes Junmyeon nervously swallow the saliva building up in his throat.

Junmyeon’s never been attracted to men. Ever.

 

“... and that’s it.” Jongdae says, planting himself in front of Junmyeon. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get going.” Jongdae turns around to leave, but Junmyeon wraps his hand around Jongdae’s wrist and whirls him around. Junmyeon finds Jongdae’s surprised eyes stare back into his own and his eyes soften. Just for a second.

 

“I’m interested in you,” Junmyeon blurts out.

 

He’s surprised when Jongdae simply lets out a laugh. “Interested? In me? I’m flattered, but no thanks. I have no interest in a rich pretty boy like yourself,” and he yanks his wrist away before walking off to his dorm.

 

Junmyeon is completely stumped. Someone is not interested in him? He may be kind-hearted, but he knows how to get what he wants. There was a reason for the facades of fake smiles and little white lies.

The older boy feels a grin grace his lips.

For once in his life, things could actually get interesting.


And that's it! I know Junmyeon's personality seems to go from one extreme to another in some parts of this story, but shh. It's our little secret! (; In any case, I hope you all enjoyed the start of this fic. Be on the lookout for more updates soon!