The Beautiful Stranger, Ghost, and The Jerk

Suspicious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Dr.Hong, the patient has been unconscious for a year now. What will we do if she never wakes up?" The nurse said after wiping off the sweat that is appearing on Yumi's forehead.

 

"Relax, she has been doing fine since the past year. Why wouldn't she wake up? It's normal if the patient is in a coma for a year." Dr.Hong chuckled. Then the chuckle slowly faded. "She reminds me of someone we used to hospitalized."

 

"Oh, him?" The nurse exhaled softly and looked at Yumi. "Yeah, she does..."

 

Suddenly, the machines Yumi was plugged into slowly started to beep. Dr.Hong and the nurse grew alerted as they checked to see what's going on.

 

"Dr.Hong, her hand is moving! She's going to be awake anytime now!" the nurse said, relieved. Dr.Hong just silently smiled as they processed Yumi waking up.

 

Yumi's eyes opened gently, "Mom..." The nurse looked at Dr.Hong with sad eyes when Yumi said the word 'mom'.

 

"Dr.Hong..." the nurse said wistfully. Dr.Hong nodded, gesturing the nurse to leave. Once the nurse left the room, Dr.Hong helped Yumi sat up on her bed.

 

"Who are you?" Yumi asked suspiciously. She viewed the room she is in, "Where am I?"

 

"This is the hospital and I am your doctor. You had been unconcsious for a year after the..." he paused explaining. "...car accident. Do you remember?"

 

"Car accident? No, the last time I remember I..." Yumi tried to recall the time the accident.

 

 

 

"Mom, stop the car. I don't want to go to your stupid engagement ceremony." Yumi said in a harsh tone. She stared out of the car window helplessly, wishing for the time to be faster.

 

"Park Yumi, I am your mother. Don't talk to me in that tone." her mom said sternly.

 

"Fine, then I just won't talk to you." Yumi said. "It's your fault because dad died and now you have to marry that son of a ." she said even harsher than the other one.

 

"PARK YUMI, I AM WARNING YOU." her mom said, raising her voice. even though it's quite dark, Yumi can still see the redness visualizing on her mom's face.

 

"Don't make me go then I'll stop."

 

SLAP!

 

Her mom slapped her hard right across her face, leaving a mark. Tears threatened to fall out of Yumi's eyes, but she stubbornly won't let it do so.

 

Yumi laughed half-heartedly, "Are you really my mom now?" She looked at her mom with eyes full of hurt before she opened the car door.

 

"Yumi, I am still driving! We are still in the middle of the road!" her mom stopped her from opening the door.

 

"Does it looks like I care?" Yumi glared at her mom. It was not the first time she did that.

 

"It's dangerous!" her mom shouted. One hand on the steering wheel and the other on Yumi, preventing her from opening.

 

But what they didn't realized was that the red light showed up, yet the car was still running. When they noticed, it was too late. A truck was also running from the opposite road, and they ended up crashing into each other.

 

"MOM!"

 

 

 

 

Yumi's eyes widen with hung opened, "Where is my mom? Where is she..?" she asked rapidly. Dr.Hong kept in silence, which made Yumi furious. "WHERE IS SHE?!" she held onto his shoulder and shook it multiple of times.

 

"She..." Dr.Hong paused. "She passed away..." he said with sadness on his face. Yumi was surprised and shaken up, but suddenly, all in a moment.

 

"Miss Park Yumi! Please calm down!" Dr.Hong said.

 

"That can't be... Please tell me you were kidding, doctor... This is not funny..." Yumi said with a scoff and tears streamed down her face.

 

"I'm very sorry..."

 

 

 

✡✡✡

 

 

 

Putting down a bouquet of white roses on her mom's grave, Yumi wiped off her tears. Yumi kneeled down on her knees.

 

"Mom, I am sorry... I-I shouldn't have done that... I am sorry..." then she silently cried to herself. Her supposed-to-be step-father hasn't even gone to see her or her mom. But she didn't give about that right now. That bastard can go die in the hellhole.

 

The sky is getting darker as the time passes by rapidly. Then, in front of Yumi but far, she saw a person, probably also visiting her or his dead love. Yumi closed her eyes and then opened them, but the person disappeared from her sight.

 

"What the hell..." she managed to say without cracking her voice from crying too much. She threw her thoughts away and stood up from the ground. "I will visit you again, mom. Take care."

 

She was about to walk, but she heard a rustling sounds coming behind of her back. She instantly turned back to look, but there's nothing. Is someone here?

 

She shrugged, "Probably just the wind." She started to walk again, leading to the bridge. There is barely anybody here at the sidewalk, after all it's kind of late.

 

Again, she heard suspicious footsteps from behind. she turned around carefully. All she sees is a person; a girl's back profile from afar. Weird...

 

She turned around to walk again, but ended up bumping into someone else. She gasped in shock.

 

After she finished bowing an apology, she looked up to see who the stranger is. It's like time has stopped, even her heart. "It's okay." the guy said. Indeed, he is so gorgeous even in the dark. The moonlight made his eyes twinkled, which is ten times ier.

 

His eyes locked into hers, and she tried to escape because damn, he is so beautiful. Yumi's leg suddenly feels like jelly under his sudden stare. "Um, I will be going now." she bowed once again and walked away.

 

After walking away, far enough from the stranger, he broke into a big smile. "I found you."

 

 

 

 

✡✡✡

 

 

 

"I feel so lazy to go to school tomorrow..." Yumi said as she jumped onto her bed. Good thing she is 18, she's legal now to take care on her own without a guardian. She closed her eyes for a minute and opened them again. 

 

Greeted by somone. Someone. Wait, someone?! Yumi screamed at the top of her lungs. It's not just someone, it's more horrifying. It's someone, someone who looks like a zombie... or a ghost.

 

"W-who are you?" Yumi asked, terrified written all over her face. Her face become paler than ever.

 

"Please help me." the 'someone' said. Soon, the horrifying face is gone, replaced by a beautiful face; a girl. Yumi suddenly loosen her stiffness, somehow, she felt safe.

 

 

 

 

"So you are like a what... A ghost?" Yumi asked as she pour a glass of water.

 

"You could say that."  the girl chuckled.

 

"What's your name?" Yumi asked.

 

"I... I don't know... That's why I came to you, since you are the only one that can see me."

 

"Am I imagining things?"

 

"No."

 

"Can you even hold a glass of water?"

 

"I guess... Give me it, I am going to try." the girl said. Yumi hesitated a bit before giving her the glass, but it failed at the end. The glass dropped on the ground and it breaks into pieces when it reached it surfaces.

 

" it up, buttercup." Yumi blew raspberry. "I am going to call you... Park Soomi for now." she picked up the broken pieces of shattered glass on the ground and threw them into the garbage can. Then, she scanned Soomi's face carefully.  "You know, you look like you could be in my age."

 

"Really?" Soomi said full of hope. "I want to know everything about me before I go back to heaven. Age, name, birthdate, how I died, stuff like that."

 

"Yah, is it only me that can see you? I am pretty sure there is more people that is similar to me out there." Yumi said, showing boredom in her eyes.

 

"The people up there," Soomi pointed up at the cieling. Probably talking about heaven. "told me that one person can only see one ghost. Possibly 2 person can see me."

 

"Then go find that other person." Yumi dryly stated.

 

"It's going to be hard, though. There's a chance that there's no other person. I am sticking with you since I already found one." Soomi explained with a grin. "Whether you like it or not, I am staying. Too bad too sad." she stuck her tongue at Yumi.

 

"Whatever you want. I am sleeping now." Yumi yawned again as she walked. She stopped her tracks and turned to Soomi, "If you scared me like you did a little while ago, I will find my way to cut your head off. Even if you are a petty little ghost." She gestured her thumb and swiped it on her neck with a 'I-will-kill-you' look.

 

When Yumi is out of Soomi's sight, she started to mock her in a higher-pitched voice.

 

"Yah, I heard you!"

 

 

 

✡✡✡

 

 

 

It's going to be a tiring day for Yumi because she have to enroll herself for high school. Because she was in a coma for a year, she had to take an exam to see if she still can go through the senior year.

 

Fortunately, she passed the exam. It is already 5 months since school started, and she has way more to catch up with. Soomi always followed Yumi like a ghost she is. Even when she needed privacy, she will always be there.

 

Yumi went to the bus stop on the way to school. She knew Soomi was following her, so she got annoyed with that. "Yah, stop following me!" she whispered. She tried so hard not to look crazy in front of people when she was talking to Soomi, but unluckily, some strangers passing by heard her.

 

She grew embarassed and glared at Soom

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter