Chapter 1

Definition of Love

 

Yoona bolted up from her lying position on the bed. Her eyes scanned her room frantically, looking for any signs of the man that haunted her dreams. Her body was covered in a cold sweat, and she could hear her heartbeat in her ears.
 
"Morning, Sleeping Beauty." she heard a voice from behind her. Turning her head, she saw her roommate laying down on the same bed.
 
"Y-Yuri?! What are you doing in my bed?!" Yoona gasped, jumping out of the covers and stumbling onto the floor.
 
Yuri laughed and propped herself up on her shoulder. "Don't you mean my bed? You came in here last night and got in right next to me." she explained. It seems that Yoona's nightmare had caused her to unconsciously make her way to Yuri's bed.
 
Yoona stood up and adjusted her pajamas. "Sorry.." she mumbled.
 
"It's okay.. Was it that dream again?" Yuri asked, knowing all too well what had frightened her dear roommate. She received a small nod from the girl. "Well, don't worry about it. Let's just get ready for class. Jessica's waiting for me after all." Yuri smiled giddily, jumping out of bed to get dressed.
 
"Just don't go making out in front of me again." Yoona made kissy faces at Yuri, who threw her clothes at the mocking girl. But before they had a chance to hit her, she ran back to her own room. 
 
Ever since the start of her high school life, Yoona had been living with her close friend Yuri. Before that she had lived with her grandparents, but their home was too far from the high school she attended now.
 
Yoona's mind drifted off as she changed into her school uniform. She had that dream occasionally ever since those events had occurred. Even though they had found the culprit, it still haunted her. Those rough hands touching her face, coating it with blood. It made the girl shiver at the thought.
 
"Yoona! Are you done yet? We're going to be late!" she heard Yuri call her name from the hall, snapping her out of her reverie. She finished buttoning her blazer before grabbing her school bag.
 
"Coming!" Yoona replied, opening the door to her room. As she made her way to the door, Yuri tossed her a piece of bread for breakfast. She nodded, munching thankfully on the bread.
 
On days like this, the best remedy were her friends.
 
 
 
 
 
The duo finally reached their school, a few moments before the bell rang.
 
"Phew, barely made it!" Yuri panted, tired from running through the halls of her school, SM High(name subject to change). She and Yoona made their way to their seats at the back of the room, where a sleeping angel was already situated.
 
Seeing the cute blonde, Yuri smiled and walked up quietly to her desk so as not to wake her. "Wake up, Sica-baby." she cooed into the girl's ear. She received no response, however. Undeterred, Yuri tried once more. "Sica, your Yul is here, wake up!" she said a bit louder this time, but still no response.
 
Out of options, Yuri had to resort to her final trick. "Sica! There's a cucumber on your desk!!" she screamed, making the blonde's head shoot up. She looked frantically at her desk, and when there was no green vegetable visible, she turned her icy glare to Yuri.
 
"Yah! Yuri! Don't scare me like that!" she yelled, crossing her arms over her chest, eliciting a laugh from Yuri.
 
"Sorry, I didn't want to wake you, but class is about to start." Yuri said, leaning in close to kiss Jessica on the cheek. The blonde blushed at the sudden display of affection. She reciprocated the feeling by kissing Yuri chastely on the lips. It would have gone farther had it not been for Yoona's interjection.
 
"Ahem.. Sorry guys, but I'm still here, y'know." she said sarcastically, seated in her desk next to Jessica.
 
"Heheh.. Sorry Yoona.. I just lose track of things when I'm around my adorable Sica-baby." Yuri said, kissing Jessica on the cheek one more time.
 
"Yah! Can you stop that? Jeez, why don't you guys just get married already?"
 
"You know Yoona, you wouldn't act like that if you had a lover too." Jessica said, playing with Yuri's fingers, their hands interlocked.
 
"Yeah! Sica-baby is right. If you had a lover, you'd see why we always act like this around each other!" Yuri added, thinking for a moment for someone suitable for Yoona. "Ah! What about Sooyoung?!"
 
"What? Are you serious? Sooyoung is just a friend! Besides, I don't have feelings for that shikshin." Yoona replied.
 
"Then who do you have feelings for?" Yuri asked, picking up the subtle hint from Yoona. She had a devious grin on her face.
 
"N-No one in particular.." Yoona said, turning her head the other direction so the two lovebirds would not see her pink cheeks.
 
"Oh my god! Sica-baby! Yoona's got someone she likes!" Yuri exclaimed. "Who is it?!"
 
Yoona was about to say something when the door to the class open, and two more people walked into the class, drawing her attention.
 
The two girls had their hands locked together as they walked to their seats on the other side of the class. One girl was short, and one had crescent-shaped eyes whenever she smiled. The latter noticed Yoona looking at her, then smiled at her warmly.
 
Did she just smile at me? Yoona wondered to herself, unsure of whether or not she should smile back. Before she could think of an answer though, the companion the girl was with turned and glared at her. I guess not...
 
She heard Yuri laugh from behind her. "Taeyeon's as cold as ever when it comes to her Tiffany." she commented. "She's almost as scary as Sica when she gets angry!"
 
Her last comment earned a glare from her girlfriend. Jessica tightened her grip around Yuri's hand, making the tan girl whimper. "I'm sorry Sica-baby.." she mumbled an apology, the grip on her hand lightening.
 
Yoona laughed at her two friend's antics, before stealing one last glance at Taeyeon's girlfriend, Tiffany Hwang. She was one of the most popular girl in schools, and had the pleasure of going out with the Student Council president. She came from a rich family, and her grades were almost the top of the class, only bested by Jessica. Tiffany had everything, and Yoona envied her for that.
 
"Yoona's been staring at Tiffany for while now, hasn't she?" Jessica commented.
 
Yuri nodded. "Maybe she's got the hots for her?" she whispered back.
 
"But Tiffany has a girlfriend... I hope she doesn't like her.."
 
"Let's ask! Hey Yoo-"
 
Before Yuri had a chance to finish her statement, the teacher entered the room. "Alright class! Get to your seats! Class is now in session!" he called out.
 
 
 
 
The bell rang, signaling lunch time. "Hey Yoona, you coming with us to the cafeteria today?" Yuri asked, gathering her things together.
 
"Uh... Sure, but I have to go to the bathroom first. I'll meet you guys there!" Yoona said hurriedly, collecting her belongings and heading out the door before anyone else.
 
She pushed her way past the waves of teenagers in the hallway until she reached one particular locker. She took a moment to adjust her uniform and fix her short auburn-colored hair.
 
Just then, a girl arrived at the locker she was waiting at. She had long black hair and soft facial features, making her look innocent and delicate.
 
"H-Hi Seohyun!" Yoona greeted, a large smile on her face. The other girl smiled back.
 
"Hello Yoona." Seohyun replied rather formally. She had always been a mature girl, and stuck to formalities as much as possible.
 
"F-Fancy seeing you here, huh?" Yoona said, a small blush playing on her features.
 
Seohyun giggled. "This is my locker, I'm not surprised."
 
"Oh, yeah. You're right, huh? Heheh.." Yoona said, scratching the back of her neck awkwardly. Smooth one.
 
"So, what are you doing for lunch today?" she continued, trying to prevent herself from making another mistake.
 
"I'm going to the Student Council room for a meeting today." Seohyun said, finished with what she had to do at her locker. She didn't notice the saddened expression Yoona had.
 
"I see.. Well, I'll see you around then!" Yoona replied, trying to hide her disappointment. She had forgotten that Seohyun was on the Student Council and they had meetings nearly every lunch break. The other girl bid her farewell and turned the other direction, oblivious of Yoona's feelings for her.
 
Yoona stood there, watching her leave, leaning her head against the locker. How can I get her to notice?!
 
 
 
 
 
"I'm sorry you can't attend the meeting Fany.." the short girl, Taeyeon, said to her girlfriend, holding both her hands in her own.
 
Tiffany smiled, eyes turning into crescents. "Don't worry about it! I'll just go have lunch with my friends."
 
Not thoroughly convinced by her girlfriend's response, Taeyeon stood on her tip-toes and kissed Tiffany briefly on the lips. "It's for the talent show... And we can't have students outside the Student Council knowing about it... I'm sorry!"
 
"It's fine! Now stop apologizing and go do your work, President." Tiffany replied, adjusting the tie around her girlfriend's neck. She kissed her once more before turning around to go to the cafeteria.
 
 
 
 
 
"Hey! Tiffany! Over here!" a girl with a sandwich in one hand and chopsticks holding onto some fried egg in the other had called to her. She smiled to her before walking over to where she was sitting.
 
"Hi Sooyoung. A lot for lunch again I see." Tiffany joked, putting to attention the girl's lunch. She had one lunch box filled to the brim with various appetizers and two sandwiches.
 
"Of course! They don't call me the shikshin for nothing, right Sunny?"
 
The girl who was called looked up from her own lunch box before nodding in agreement. "Yeah. Oh, and next time you come to my house, eat first! My mom got so angry when you nearly cleared out our pantry." she quipped, causing the short-haired girl to blush.
 
"H-Hey! That was one time! And I couldn't help it! I just got out of dance practice with Hyoyeon. It was unavoidable." Sooyoung tried to defend herself, but found herself failing when Sunny glared at her rather cutely. "F-Fine."
 
Tiffany laughed at the two as she took out her own lunch Taeyeon had made for her. She opened its lid to reveal rice, fried egg, and some chicken. On the rice, the words 'Taeyeon loves Fany' was written with sesame seeds. Taeyeon's adorable action caused her to giggle. "She's so cute."
 
Just as she was about to dig into her lunch, a boy bumped into her table, causing her lunchbox to fall to the ground.
 
"Ah!! My lunch!" she yelped, picking up the box. But many of its contents had already spilled to the ground. 
 
"Sorry about that!" the boy yelled, not seeming to be all that sorry. As soon as he appeared, he had vanished in the crowd of people in the cafeteria.
 
Tiffany looked as if she were on the verge of tears. The wonderful lunch her girlfriend had made her was gone, and now she had nothing to eat. She looked to one of her dear friends to help her, giving her an adorable puppy dog pout.
 
"D-Don't look at me!" Sooyoung looked away in the other direction. It was difficult to deny Tiffany when she used her infamous puppy dog pout.
 
Seeing as Sooyoung was not about to make eye contact with her again, the girl switched her prey to Sunny, who was slowly nibbling on some bread.
 
"Sorry Tiffany, if it was any other day I would. But this is all I've got and I have to stay here and paint the backdrop for the talent show." Sunny explained. She was chosen to help paint the backdrop of the talent show due to her amazing art skills. She was one of the best in the school.
 
"What am I gonna eat then.." Tiffany pouted, staring at the remains of her lunch. There was only a bit of rice left, not nearly enough to satiate her.
 
"Here, you can have mine." an unfamiliar voice said to Tiffany, dropping a small lunch box in front of her. She looked up to see who the voice belonged to.
 
She's the girl who was staring at me this morning. She looks a bit... sad. Tiffany thought as she looked back down to the lunch box and opened it. 
 
There was fried omelet, some vegetables, rice, beef stew sitting in the box. Tiffany looked back up at the girl. "Are you sure I can have all this? What are you going to eat?"
 
"It's fine. I'm not that hungry..." the girl replied quietly.
 
Tiffany eyed her. She was dashing. Her short orange hair complimented her deep brown eyes. Her skin was creamy smooth as well. "Th-Thank you.." Tiffany mumbled as she caught herself staring at her for too long. "Um.. What's your name?" she wanted to know the name of this beautiful girl and her lunchtime savior.
 
"Im Yoona. Well then, I'll see you around." Yoona replied before walking off to her own table, head hung low in depression.
 
"I didn't know you knew Yoona." Sooyoung's voice chimed in, snapping Tiffany out of her momentary daze. "You okay? You're cheeks look kinda red."
 
"Huh? O-Oh, yeah. I'm fine.." Tiffany said, catching herself once more. She took a bite into Yoona's lunchbox. It was delicious. "I wouldn't say I know her. She's just in my class, but we've never really talked... Do you know her?" she was now curious about that girl.
 
"Yeah, we both work at Golden Cafe together on the weekends." Sooyoung said, nonchalantly biting into her sandwich.
 
"Really?! What's she like?"
 
"Hmm, well, she's got a nice personality. Funny, a real choding. She's also a great artist. You can see some of her paintings hanging in the cafe. Say.. Why don't you drop by tomorrow?" Sooyoung suggested.
 
Tiffany took a moment. She had plans with Taeyeon tomorrow, but maybe she could convince her to go to the cafe. She was intrigued with this Yoona girl, but she couldn't understand why. "Sure! I'll be there!" she exclaimed, happily taking another bite into Yoona's lunch. 
 
 
 
 
 
"Hey Yoona, why the long face?" Yuri asked Yoona who was approaching their table. She was currently being fed some rice by Jessica.
 
"Nothing.. Just that I'm a total failure and my life ." Yoona said as she sat down, dropping her head on the table.
 
"Doesn't sound like nothing." Jessica remarked sarcastically, taking a bite of her lunch herself.
 
"Really Yoona, what's the problem? Was it Tiffany? I saw you talking to her over there."
 
"It wasn't her... I just gave her my lunch since some guy dropped hers.." Yoona replied.
 
Yuri was a bit taken aback. Yoona never gave anyone her food. The shikshin wouldn't even let her have a piece even though they lived together and practically ate together every night. Something must have happened to the girl before she got to the cafeteria, but Yuri decided not to prod the girl further. "Well, you hungry? I made a lot of lunch for me and Sica."
 
"It's okay, I'm not hungry." Yoona sighed, thoughts focusing on only one thing; Seohyun.
 
Yuri turned to her girlfriend, looking for any helpful advice. Jessica just nodded her head and fed her more rice, as if telling her not to worry about it. The trio remained quiet the rest of the lunch hour, allowing the sounds of the cafeteria to surround them.
 
 
 
 
 
School was over now, and Yoona was among the few students left packing up her belongings. She could see Taeyeon and Tiffany at the corner of her eye. Taeyeon was waiting for her girlfriend to finish grabbing her things before the two walked out of the class, hand in hand. Before they were out the door, however, Tiffany turned back and looked at Yoona. "Thanks again for earlier! I owe you one!" she waved, giggling as she did.
 
Yoona looked up. Tiffany's crescent-shaped eyes never ceased to draw her in. She smiled back as the two made their way out the door. She finished packing up and headed out a few moments after.
 
She walked down the almost empty hallways, thoughts of Seohyun still running through her mind. She had been infatuated with the girl for quite some time now, since the beginning of this school year, and she had only gathered up the courage to talk to her only recently.
 
"Hey, Seohyun, you want to go to that cafe near our school tomorrow?" a girl's voice echoed through the hall. Yoona's eyes darted up to see Seohyun and one of her friends exiting the girl's bathroom. She looked around for a place to hide, and ended up hiding behind a door to a random classroom.
 
Why am I even hiding? Yoona mentally slapped herself as she peeked her head out to see the two. She felt like a stalker right at that moment.
 
"Sure, I'd love to Hyoyeon." Seohyun replied. "What's the place called?"
 
"Golden Cafe. My friend Sooyoung works there and she says it's great!" Hyoyeon replied, happily thinking back to what Sooyoung had told her.
 
"Golden Cafe? I'll ask my parents if I can go, I hope they let me..!" Seohyun said a bit apprehensively.
 
"Don't worry! You got the highest mark on that test, I'm sure they'll let you go out!" Yoona could hear Hyoyeon say before the two walked out of the school, out of her ear-shot.
 
It seems the two would be going to the Golden Cafe tomorrow, the same cafe Yoona worked part-time at. She could hardly hold in her excitement as she began to dance in the empty hallway.
 
"Ahem..." she heard from behind her, making her eyes dart towards the sound of the voice. It was Tiffany and Taeyeon. "What're you doing?" Tiffany laughed at Yoona, who had just been dancing awkwardly.
 
"U-Uhh..." Yoona stammered, not sure how to explain it herself. She blushed red when Tiffany only laughed harder, but her laughter was contagious and soon she was laughing as well.
 
"I don't get it." Taeyeon said bluntly, killing the light mood. Tiffany smiled at her short girlfriend.
 
"Oh TaeTae..." she said, grabbing her hand and walking past Yoona. "Bye Yoona~" she whispered to the tall girl as she walked by.
 
Yoona watched them go, taking a moment to notice how pretty Tiffany was. "Bye!" she called out. Her day had begun quite badly, but now she couldn't stop herself from smiling.