Nu'est - Ren 1 (not requested)

Kpop One Shots

"Noona?" I looked up from my beauty case, and I smiled when I noticed Ren's smiling face. He held out a single rose towards me, and  was a little surprised.

"That's a beautiful flower, Ren, who are you gonna give it to?" It was valentine's day, and the boys had been loudly discussing about what they would want to do, and with who. Of course, most of it had been daydreaming (going on a romantic dinner with Hyuna, for example) so I hadn't really paid attention. The boy in front of me blushed, and looked shyly towards the floor.

"It's for you," he whispered. I looked at him, and I had to say I was very flattered. Sometimes, when I was working for these rascals, I felt quite invisible, as they would just ignore me every now and then. I was just their make up artist. Sure, they talked to me, but the way they talked to everyone. Only Ren had shown a little more interest. He wanted to know which products I used, what would suit his skin tone, how he could make his eyes come out best, things like that. So nothing special. 

"Thank you," I stuttered, "but why?" He gave me the rose, and I couldn't resist smelling it. I loved roses.

"Because I really appreciate you. And it is because of us that you have to work and don't get to go out on valentine's day." I smiled.

"Don't worry about that. I like working for you guys. And it's not like there is someone waiting for me to go on a date together." It was true. I had been single ever since my high school love had traded me in for a college crush. And to be honest, I didn't miss it. Not that much. Sometimes, when I was home alone, watching another chick flick with my polar bear slippers on under a blanket, sharing some one sided affection with my stray cat, I missed someone around me. To hug me. To hold my hand. To kiss my cheek and wish me good night. But I wasn't desperate.

"I can't believe that," Ren muttered. I didn't really know how to respond to that, as I didn't know how he had meant it. So I just carefully put my gift on the table and continued packing my supplies.Ren simply watched me, as he did very often. The boy had a strange patience while watching other people do things that might have seemed pretty boring and useless to him. 

Suddenly, one of the brushes fell out of my case, because I didn't close it. I sighed and kneeled down to pick it up. Meanwhile, Ren seemed to have gotten the same idea, and our hands reached the brush at the same time. I froze in my movement, he smiled at me and took the brush. After that, he got on his feet and gave me his hand to help me get up. I blushed when his fingers touched my skin, but I didn't really know why. 

"Thank you," I said again. Ren didn't let go of my hand, but it was not awkward. His hands were soft and warm, and it gave me a nice feeling.

"Noona, I know you are  few years older. And I also know that you are not looking for someone in your life. But I also know that I really like being with you. I like talking to you and I like watching you work. I like it when you say my name and smile at me, and I like it how you take care of us. But most of all, Noona, I like you. Would you please go out with me tonight after the photo shoot? Because' it's valentine's day. No one should be spending the night alone today." I was absolutely flustered. How come he suddenly said all these things? He liked me? But I am his Noona, I am too old for him. An eighteen year old boy should not think about a woman who was over six years older. And I had no feelings for him.

But when I looked at him, I could see the courage and fear to ask me this, it was written all over his face. He was so innocent, so sincere. How long had he been thinking about this? How long had this moment been haunting his dreams? I would be a monster to decline. He would never even look me in the eyes again out of pure embarrassment. And he was so cute. The way he smiled softly. The way he put his hair behind his ear. The way he still held my hand.

"I guess dinner won't hurt."

 

That evening I was more nervous than I expected myself to be. It was just Ren. We were just going to have dinner. Why did it seem like such a big deal? I had been taken an incredibly long time when I decided what to wear and I had removed and reapplied my make up about four times. I wanted to look perfect. But why? Because this was my first date -was it a real date?- in years? Was it because Ren was both fashionable and critical? No, he would never talk bad about my clothing or make up. Or at least he would not humiliate me while doing it. 

When the doorbell rang, I jumped up from the couch. My cat hissed at my feet when I walked passed her -really, I was the only one who liked her living with me- and I took a deep breath before I opened the front door. Ren was standing there, casually but classy dressed, as always. Dark blue jeans, checkered shirt and a leather jacket to top it all. He looked amazing, as if he didn't have had an exhausting day. He looked me up and down, and then he smiled. 

"You look extra beautiful tonight, Noona. I hope you don't mind it, but we won't go to a very fancy place. Because I was afraid you would say no, I didn't make reservations."

"That's okay, Ren. I'd rather go to some snack bar and have fun with you, than go to a fancy restaurant and have to pretend I'm a decent human being." By saying that, I seemed to have broken the ice, he smiled widely, showing his white teeth.

 

"I had a great night, Ren." It was true. I had never felt so comfortable around someone, he had made me feel alright the whole time. We had been talking about work, of course, but also about a lot of other things. We had talked about our childhood, the people we liked and disliked, our family, even the most random subjects had passed. It had been so easy talking to him. He had refused to let me pay my share, as he had asked me out so he should take care of me. He had been a gentleman, opening doors for me and walking me home. He had held my hand the whole way, and we reached my apartment way too soon. I wanted to spend more time with him, I didn't want this evening to end.

"Me too." He was silent for a few seconds, but then he looked at me and said:

"Forgive me, Noona." I frowned, not knowing what he was talking about. 

"What for?" Instead of answering me, he leaned forward and softly put his lips on mine. There seemed to be an explosion of butterflies in my stomach, I could have never imagined that he would have such an effect on me. I didn't even think about pulling away. This was so wrong, but it felt just so right. As if I had been waiting for him my whole life.

Maybe I had.