9 WXYZ

1 4 3

It was a week after graduation and she was looking for jobs. After transferring and changing to major in drama, it had become her dream to act on stage in local musical productions. But being a fresh graduate, it wasn’t easy getting a role on the first try.
 
Soobin walked into the cafe where she was meeting Sehun. “What did you want to tell me? I’m in the middle of searching for a job.”
 
“Noona,” Sehun whined, “You’re stressed out so your mum asked me to meet you outside so you can relax.”
 
She stared at him, “No, really. What is it?” She knew her cousin well. They grew up together and there was no way he could lie to her.
 
“Well,” he shifted nervously in his seat, “I just wanted to know why were you acting that day? Are you in some kind of trouble?”
 
“It’s not like that,” she sighed, “I was just trying to distract someone.”
 
“Who?” He sat forward in his seat, ready to listen to whatever she had to say.
 
“It’s just this guy… He told me to wait for him for two years and I did. Well, sort of. But now I don’t think that I’m right for him so I had no choice but to do what I did. Hopefully he will get the message and put all his focus on his own life. I don’t want to be a distraction to him.”
 
Sehun shook his head in frustration. “That guy remembered you and came for you after two years and yet you don’t want him? Isn’t that sad.”
 
Soobin felt bad for doing what she did. She shouldn’t have ended things with Jongdae this way. But that moment, it seemed like it was the only way. She wouldn’t have the courage to reject him or break up with him if she met him again. She wasn’t strong like that. But, she still felt like she did the right thing. For the sake of Jongdae becoming successful, she was willing to sacrifice her happiness.
 
Jongdae stopped the music and sat down exhausted. Ever since he saw Soobin with another guy, he had been dancing daily without much rest. Way before graduation, he received countless job offers from various dance companies. They had seen him perform during a dance competition and were immediately captivated by his dance skills. He had always wanted to pursue dance so jumping at the opportunity, he accepted the job offer from a local theater. He would be the main dance choreographer for their musical productions.
 
In a few months, the theater he was working for would be staging a musical and he would have to come up with all the choreography as well as stage directions for the actors and dancers. He had a few dancers in his dancing team to help him with the choreography and teaching it to the actors and dancers but he still felt as though he had a lot to do. This was his first real choreography job and the first opportunity to showcase his talent.
 
He had been working with the director and the crew for the past week and he had a few ideas for how the musical would go but he could only see the whole stage picture once the auditions were over and the main actors were selected.
 
Soobin nursed her heartache by practicing lines from her favorite musical Les Miserables. She wouldn’t know what she would need to perform for the auditions so she worked on everything. She sang, she recited lines and she practiced her crying. Though, now, she didn’t have problems feeling sad and teary. It wasn’t easy not thinking about Jongdae. The best way to forget about him would be to find a job.
 
She flipped through the advertisement page of the newspaper circling the various advertisements related to theater and musicals. She managed to find a few auditions happening that weekend and decided that she would attend all the auditions she possibly could until she found a job.
 
That weekend, Soobin dressed up nicely and went for her auditions. The first audition she attended rejected her as soon as she started because she didn’t have the style to play the part they were offering. The second audition had all their parts taken up, including understudies, but they would love to have her audition for their next musical the following year. She was feeling discouraged and exhausted from all the waiting. She decided to go for one more audition before calling it a day. 
 
By the time she arrived at the theater, they were almost done with the auditions. She didn’t have to wait long before they called her on stage. This stage light was brighter compared to the previous two audition venues so she couldn’t see the audience. Not being able to see the audience reduced her nervousness and gave her a little bit more confidence.
 
“Go ahead and perform what you’ve prepared. Something short will do,” someone instructed.
 
She nodded, cracking her brains to think of what she should perform. What would showcase everything in a short time? She thought of singing while acting a short scene from Les Miserables. She took a step forward and transformed into the character. She couldn’t see the faces and expressions of the audience so she could focus on her acting.
 
When she was done, she bowed. She played with her fingers as she waited for the final decision. Was she in or out?
 
All of a sudden, the stage lights dimmed. “I’m sorry but thank you for coming. That’s a wrap. Auditions will continue tomorrow.” A deep low voice came from the audience. Her heart sank as it was yet another rejection. She squinted to locate the source of the voice. Her eyes widened in shock. Jongdae? 


Posted 6th March 2014