8 TUV

1 4 3

For the next two years, Jongdae worked hard. The thought of graduating and succeeding in life never left his mind. He didn’t want his mother to bother him anymore. His mother never cared for him except for wanting him to become independent and successful. Why? She didn’t want him to rely on her. In his mother’s eyes, he wasn't a son, but an investment; something she could put aside whenever she wanted to. That was what happened to his father and he knew it could happen to him too. The only way to leave his mother’s side before she made him leave would be to become successful, so successful that she can’t interfere in his life anymore.
 
He constantly thought about Soobin and couldn’t wait to see her again. He managed to find out where she was studying but he didn’t look for her, fearing that she would change schools. Sometimes he would hide behind a tree near her apartment building and wait for her to come back. Once he saw walk into the building, he would feel at ease and go home.
 
How was he still confident she was waiting for him, even though they did not contact each other for the past two years? A few months ago, he saw her coming back home a little drunk. She came out from the cab singing and calling out for him. She shouted asking if he was doing well before bursting into sobs. Jongdae very much wanted to go forward and hold her in his arms but he couldn’t.
 
As graduation day drew closer, Soobin got more and more uneasy. She had read the text message from Jongdae two years ago but couldn’t bring herself to reply him. Two years was indeed a long time to keep a promise. She didn't want him to make any promises he couldn't keep. She did not want to get her hopes up only to feel disappointed later. And she didn’t want to make promises too, fearing that she would break them. 
 
These two years, she worked hard at her new school where she majored in drama. She thought about nothing else but her work. She was afraid that if she let her mind wander, she would start missing and thinking about Jongdae. But despite all her effort in trying to not think about him, she refused to change her phone number and delete his number from her contact list. She hadn’t forgotten about him and deep down inside, she was hopeful that he would keep his promise and look for her after they graduated.
 
Jongdae looked at his watch for the umpteenth time that day. It was finally the last day of school. He was graduating. Although the official ceremony wasn’t until the following month, they would all be considered graduates after the last class that day. And all he could think about was Soobin. He planned to wait for her at the fountain in the park beside her apartment building where she would surely see him on her way home.
 
His heart skipped a beat as the final class ended. Would she be excited? Or would he end up disappointed?
 
Soobin’s final class ended and she started to feel nervous. Would he come and look for her that day? She wanted to see Jongdae again but she didn’t know if it was the right thing to do. If she was a hindrance to him becoming successful in the past, wouldn’t she be a hindrance now too? She wouldn’t want him to be distracted, especially since he just graduated and would need to start work. And what made her think that he would even look for her? What if nothing happens? What if he has forgotten about her? All of a sudden, she wasn’t so confident about seeing Jongdae again. It didn't seem possible to just pick things up from where they left off. A lot things can change in two years. What if they were no longer the same? 
 
“Noona!” Soobin turned upon hearing a familiar voice.
 
“Oh? Sehun-ah, what are you still doing here?” She smiled as she spoke.
 
“I had to meet some professors and I’ll be heading to your house for dinner again tonight! Let’s go together!” He beamed as he swung his arm around her shoulders.
 
“Ya! Oh Sehun!” she yelled while flinging his arm off. “How many times must I tell you not to do that?” The younger boy giggled as he hurried to follow Soobin.
 
Soobin and Sehun chatted happily as they walked to her house. Sehun was two years younger than her but he was very much taller.
 
“Noona, the next time my parents are out of town, I’m just going to camp at your house. My house is too far from school.” Sehun whined.
 
Soobin nodded. “Why don’t you do that? I’m sure Aunty wouldn’t mind you staying over. She will be less worried.” She smiled and chuckled but froze when she saw a familiar back view sitting by the fountain. It couldn't be…
 
Jongdae played with his fingers nervously as he waited for Soobin to come home. He heard some people walking by. He looked up and her walking. His eyes widened as he saw her linking arms with another guy. If that wasn’t enough, she tiptoed and gave the guy a peck on his cheek. Jongdae stood up in anger, clenching his fists tightly as he watched them. 


Posted 2nd March 2014

Edited by shockinggreen ♥