2: Deliverance

Heavenly Agony

CHAPTER 2

 

DELIVERANCE

 

 

Clouds designate the surreal terrain.

The glistening rainbow seems to absorb the particles of light then reflects them through the microprism air. Wind is always a companion for the wings. Bring along its undeviable free movements. Colorless and invisible but the exposure leaves a reminiscence of a yearning.

Kai stops in front of the Gate of Black Heaven. As his stretching black wings close, he walks approaching the disguising dark clouds. Beyond shadows is an entrance. Reo stands there as always with his usual underestimating cold face. Although he never really underestimates anyone, but his sharp and shining Diamond eyes make everyone lose their self-esteem. Because, what is more honored than Diamond? The nobility displays the exclusivity of black angel that becomes Reo’s proud speciality to guard the Gate of Black Heaven.

 

This time Reo is not alone. Kai notices there’s a presence of a very friendly fellow beside him.

“So what has bring you here dear messenger?”

Reo smiles, which is an unusual look. “Lay is here to bring a message of course. Can you accompany him to meet Kris?”

“Sure.” Kai nods. “Hope it’s a delightful news for us to hear.”

As the Messenger of Heaven, Lay was created in a very mysterious way. He has the message, good news or bad news, beyond his purple Tourmaline eyes.

“It depends on how you think about it as good or as bad,” said Lay.

“I’ll take you to Kris then. Follow me.”

The silver gate is opened.

 

When they step in, a great wall surrounds them and the silver gate disappears.

They are in the middle of a great hexagonal labyrinth.

As Kai guides Lay through the labyrinth, Lay’s wings enlighten the way.

The shadows of Black Heaven cannot touch even the smallest particles of Lay’s being. Lay is not made of light and not a shadow either. A Messenger is made of a soundwave, which is unaffected by the light or shadow. The soundwave whose echoes can pass through everything even the deepest heart.

“The labyrinth of Black Heaven is a special path for the black angels. Only the black angels can see the way out. It is practically a trap so that nobody except the black angels can come to the Black Heaven. Such a trick,” Kai explains.

“I see,” said Lay calmly, “The purpose of my being is to bring the message and make sure the message is received. That is why I was created to be able to pass through any possible boundaries.”

They walk from the center to the edge of the labyrinth. Every turn has a mysterious sensation. When they are finally reach the way out, everything looks monochromatic. There are only black and white. Everything feels so sullen and sorrowful.

A couple of crows are squeaking to welcome them. They walk through the garden square that is unlike a garden. The soil is dry and the trees are dead. The air is cold and shadows are everywhere. There is a fountain in the middle of the square that flows a liquid mercury instead of water in it.

There is a building made of granite behind the garden. The building is covered by the shadows. The Palace of Black Heaven.

As if the essential being of the palace already know about the guest, the door opens for Kai and Lay to enter the palace.

“Dear the black angels fellows and the glorious Leader of Black Heaven. I come here to bring a special guest. The Messenger of Heaven,” said Kai while he bows a bit.

As the Leader of Black Heaven, Kris is the tallest and his power is the greatest among the black angels. All black angels listen to his word. His great charisma is on his coldest look, huge black wings and a pair of Topaz eyes.

“May the Messenger of Heaven tells us the message,” said Kris without a blink on his eye.

Lay steps forward.

“I am here to tell the information so that all of you know,” Lay’s voice echoes inside the hall of the palace full of black angels.

“Some newborn white angels have been created today. Means more blessings will be given for the living creatures. The mighty rules that separate the work of white angels and black angels on earth are changed. Every black angel now can choose a white angel as a partner to work together doing their duties on earth. Whenever black angels take souls on earth, they must make sure a white angel also give the blessings upon the creature’s death. The bless for the living, the bless for the surrounding, the bless for the remedy, the bless for every remnants left after the death.”

Lay’s eyes spark a purple shine as he continues, “Furthermore, while working together, every black and white angel must not forget the origin of their being. Black angels are shadows, meanwhile white angels are light. The difference are clear. Do not cross the limit.”

Kris nods gently.

“We understand. We will follow the order and make sure everything works well.”

The hall is in silence. The Messenger stares deeply to Kris. Kris stares back and looks like he is receiving a hidden message through Lay’s Tourmaline eyes. Only Kris and Lay who know the message, that then Kris’s golden Topaz eyes show an aware.

“Everything will be fine,” said Kris.

Lay nods.

“May everything goes well,” as Lay smiles, he tells Kai that he is about to leave.

“Hold on,” said Kris suddenly, “Please tell Michael that I need to talk to him. He knows where we should meet.”

“Michael will be glad to meet you. He was expecting to talk to you after he got this order.”

Lay leaves the palace with Kai.

 

Kai accompanies Lay through the labyrinth again. Reo has waited at the Gate of Black Heaven. After Lay went, Kai tells Reo about Lay’s message.

“Have you decide which white angel you will choose to be your partner?” asked Reo.

“I haven’t. I have no idea.”

Reo scrunches his eyes, “Choose wisely.”

Kai stares to the emptiness, “Well, anyone is fine.”

 

Kai remembers when he and Reo were created together. He thought they will be partner together, but Reo hates the earth so much. Reo could not stand against humans with all the sins and damages they made on earth. He almost abolished half of human population by a hurricane if Kai did not stop him. Hence, Kris told Reo to guard the Gate of Black Heaven and forbid him to go to earth. Ever since, Kai does his duty on earth alone.

Always gets used to the loneliness. Kai doesn’t bother about it anymore.

 

Caress the one,

The never-fading rain in your heart

The tears of snow-white sorrow

Carress the one,

The hiding amaranth in a land of the daybreak...

 

---

 

 

Heavy air filled a messy place in a slum apartment near the railroad. 

A very thin man is lying on a bed in a messy room. He looks like a living bones.

It is almost midnight, Baekhyun cannot sleep. His head hurts, his body hurts, his fever is not getting well that it has been a month. Dashed breathing from his lungs craves for a fresh oxygen. It’s been a week and Chanyeol is still not coming home. Baekhyun waits everyday in anxiety. He wonders what has happened to his husband. Went for days to buy medicine.

“What kind of medicine that he buy? Leaving me alone here for a week. That stupid man!” He groans in his heart.

Baekhyun feels so weak. Even he is too helpless to overcome everything. Nobody comes to see him. All he has is Chanyeol, but Chanyeol isn’t here. He misses Chanyeol, he wants his beloved husband to be by his side.

Tears fall on Baekhyun’s cachectic face. He remembers all of his past. He remembers when he left Chanyeol for another man. Now it’s Chanyeol’s turn to leave him, he thinks. He remembers that his foolish action of an unfaithful heart had caused this pain.

A year ago was the peak of Baekhyun’s boredom. He has married Chanyeol for 3 years. Chanyeol works as a clerk of a cashier in a supermarket and Baekhyun worked as a salesperson in another supermarket before he quitted. It’s hard to get a well-payed job, that they also didn’t have a better education. A couple from a lower class economy. Their marriage was fine but Baekhyun was just bored with everything.

Until one day Baekhyun had an affair with his coworker. He wanted to have a thrill. Playing unsafe . Tried having another pleasure he couldn’t get from Chanyeol.

Baekhyun didn’t know that his coworker was a drug junkie. Baekhyun then realized that he was infected with HIV AIDS when his coworker was dying.

Almost lost his hopes, Baekhyun told about his mistake to Chanyeol.

Baekhyun can never forget the pain in Chanyeol’s eyes. But Chanyeol was too kind that he forgave everything Baekhyun had done. Even Chanyeol was eager to cure the disease. But sadly they are too poor that they are unable to pay for the better medication. It has been a month after Baekhyun was discharged from the local hospital, because he and Chanyeol are running out of money. Baekhyun’s disease is getting worse day by day. Even Baekhyun is unable to eat for days, as he feels nauseous and his mouth sores. He only gets the liquid nutrition and saline injected by the I.V. into his veins.

“I give up,” whispered Baekhyun breathlessly.

The illness makes him dying. The fever is getting higher. His bed is wet of his own sweats. It’s getting hard to breathe. Coughing up blood, he feels like bleeding everywhere. Even his heart is bleeding.

 

A dark shadow is watching him from the ceiling. Baekhyun is scared but he doesn’t care anymore. The disease he feels is too painful.

“Be patient,” said the shadow, “It takes a long time for you.”

The hours walk so slow.

 

When the dawn rises, everything feels so light as if every burden has been taken away.

Baekhyun doesn’t feel the pain anymore. He feels like floating in the air.

But the shadow on the ceiling has not leave him. The shadow approaches him as if he is swallowed by the darkness.

Everything is dark.

 

Burning here, in the room

Feeling that the walls are moving closer

Silent scene the dark takes me

Leads me to the ending of another day...

 

---

 

Peculiar.

The only word to describe it.

The sky is purple.

Baekhyun wonders where he is, while a dark figure with a black wings stands beside him.

“Who are you?” asked Baekhyun, “And where am I?”

The dark figure remains silent. He only stares deeply as if his eyes pierce through Baekhyun’s soul.

Baekhyun sees a bright figure in front of him. Wings are glowing like gold, eyes are crystal-clear marine blue.

“Welcome to Medius Meadow,” said the bright figure.

“All that you have done and said in your life will be counted here. All of your sins will be measured.”

Baekhyun is confused. His mind is aware and scared. Everything feels so surreal for him but he knows this is real although he is never ready for this.

“Who are you?” asked Baekhyun.

“My name is Xiu,” answered the angelic figure with a pair of Aquamarine eyes, “I am the guardian of Medius Meadow. I will take you to the Court of the Last Judgement.”

Xiu takes Baekhyun’s trembling hands. Put him inside the Court.

Then Baekhyun sees a white throne and the Almighty figure who is seated on it. From that mighty presence, the earth and the sky flee away. Some white angels and black angels present at the Court. Some looks fair, some looks cold.

The Court is too bright, Baekhyun feels like he is seeing the sun. He knows that it is not the sun, but he feels something burning above his head. Baekhyun stands in the middle of the court. Not far from him, there is a great book. Then the book is opened, which is the book of life. And Baekhyun is judged by what is written in the book, according to what he had done in his life.

“Byun Baekhyun. You were a good human, but then you did a sin. You cheated your husband. You broke his heart, then you came back to him and brought the suffering to his life. Your sickness was caused by your own mistakes. Your husband had treated you during your sickness until the death came to him,” said the echoes of the Almighty voice.

“He was dead? Chanyeol was dead?!” Baekhyun screams.

The mighty voice echoes again, “Your husband was killed. He died after a thief robbed his money. The money which he got from selling his own kidney, to buy the medicine for you and to get you back to the hospital.”

“Oh Dear God, Chanyeol….” Baekhyun is slumped to his knees, lost for words.

 

“You will be thrown to the lake of fire. As you may taste the flare of Hell,” the Almighty finishes the judgement.

“No! Please! I beg your forgiveness! Please!” Baekhyun shrieks.

But it is too late for him. Everything is too late.

The dark figure that is standing beside Baekhyun opens his black wings. “I am Kai, the black angel, the angel of death. The one who took your soul, and now I will bring you again to your destined place.”

The black angel takes Baekhyun.

 

Leaving the Medius Meadow, Baekhyun is on the brink of Hereafter.

Kai and Baekhyun arrive in front of the Gate of Hell.

The black angel Kai moves forward, “O the Guardian of Hell, here I bring you a human soul. He is Byun Baekhyun, sentenced to the lake of fire.”

The Guardian of Hell is the most terrifying angel. A black angel with a pair of pointy horns on his head.

“Condemned human!” the Guardian which is a black angel glares to Baekhyun’s weary soul. “May the burning fire welcomes you! Remember your sin! Your regret is futile!” exclaimed the loud voice of the Guardian of Hell. He throws Baekhyun relentlessly to the burning lake of fire.

Baekhyun is thrown, burned, torn apart by the fire.

“Forgive me…..! Chanyeol….!!! Help me…!!! Anyone, please… save me…. aaaaaaaaahhh!!!”       

He can’t escape. There is no escape.

Is there anybody who can save him?

 

Tell me who you are. I am spellbound

You cannot have this control on me

Everywhere I go I am spellbound

I will break the spell you put on me...

 

---

 

The blessed souls inside the White Heaven are forever in joy. Forever in eternal happiness.

But there is one soul that is giddy to the happiness.

“Park Chanyeol, why do you look so sad in the middle of these enjoyment and delicacy?”

A white angel approaches Chanyeol’s side.

“Dio, I am worrying Baekhyun. How does he live without me?” Chanyeol furrows his forehead.

Dio touches Chanyeol’s shoulder.

“I have a bad news for you. Baekhyun had died. His disease killed him. His soul had been taken to Medius Meadow and he had been judged in the Court.” Dio tries hard to tell the truth whereas he doesn’t want to make Chanyeol sad, “Sadly, I have to say this to you. He is sentenced to be sent to Hell, because all of his sins and all the mistakes he had done to you.”

Dumbfounded, Chanyeol stands then falls on his knees. “No…” He cannot accept what he have heard.

“No way! Don’t torture Baekhyun!” Chanyeol frowns.

He cries. A cry inside the garden of heaven. So ironic.

“I beg for an amnesty. I had forgiven Baekhyun since I was still alive. I had forgiven everything he had done to me. I forgave him with all my heart and soul! I don’t want to live in Heaven if Baekhyun lives in Hell!”

Dio embrace Chanyeol with his white wings as he wipes Chanyeol’s tears.

“I will try to help you. If you wish to give testimony about your forgiveness towards Baekhyun.”

Chanyeol pulls Dio’s hands, “I will do anything to save Baekhyun. Take me to the Court. I beg you, dear kindhearted angel. Please, let me beg to the Almighty.”

Dio cannot understand why his feelings hurt knowing about the agony of Chanyeol and Baekhyun. He shows a pitious face over their anguish.

“Close your eyes, dear pity soul. Let me fly you to the Medius Meadow.”

 

Sometimes I feel so cold

Like I’m waiting around all by myself

Loneliness gets so old

I’m in the lost and found sitting on the shelf...

 

---

 

“So you had forgiven Baekhyun?” asked a mighty voice echoes.

Fearfully and wonderfully made. The creator of the universe.

“I forgive him with all my heart and soul,” Chanyeol shakes, “I beg for Your clemency.”

Chanyeol can feel somewhat like goosebumps through his ethereal body.

 

But then there is a bright smile. The one that is gracious and merciful.

Chanyeol never sees such mighty smile before. A very comforting smile it can extinguish the lake of fire.

“I accept your plea,” the voice echoes, “I forgive Baekhyun’s sin. I give him amnesty.”

Chanyeol almost screams in front of God. He wants to embrace that Almighty being.

Instead, Chanyeol embraces Dio. The white angel that strives for him.

 

“Hello again, Park Chanyeol,” a dark figure arrives in front of Medius Meadow.

Kai walks to Chanyeol and Dio, “I have been waiting for this time to come. Baekhyun is waiting.”

This time, Kai smiles a very warm smile it soothes Chanyeol’s heart.

“Kai. It was you who took Baekhyun’s soul? Please bring us to him,” Dio walks closer to Kai.

“Did he… did he hurt? Did he suffer when you took his soul?” Chanyeol asks.

Kai looks down, “Everyone suffers.”

Subsequently, Kai takes Chanyeol and Dio to the edge of Hereafter. The edge of a ravine, near the Gate of Hell.

Chanyeol can hear a scream calling on his name. He recognizes the voice. It is Baekhyun’s voice. It screams an agony.

“No! Don’t burn him!” Chanyeol shrieks.

Dio tries to calm Chanyeol down.

“Both of you should wait here,” Kai approaches the Gate of Hell.

 

 

Been stuck for way too long

But I hear Your voice

You’re who I’m counting on...

 

 

Kai is about to ask for a permission from the Hell’s Guardian.

“Dear Tao,” said Kai, “I’m being sent here to fetch a soul. A forgiven soul. May you open the gate and let him free.”

“Forgiven?” asked black angel Tao, the Guardian of Hell.

Tao snorts. “You must go inside to remove his shackles,” said Tao as his green Emerald eyes shine a cold stare.

 

Afterwards, Kai goes inside the Hell to take Baekhyun’s soul. Soon after Baekhyun has been released from the lake of fire, Kai brings Baekhyun to the edge of Hereafter.

“Baekhyun!” Chanyeol runs to reach Baekhyun.

“Chan… Chanyeol…,” Baekhyun is exhausted.

“He is still need to be purified at the Purgatory,” said Kai.

Dio flies them back to the Medius Meadow.

 

 

I know that you can tell

When I start to let my hope fade away

I need to catch myself

Open my ears to hear you calling my name

 

 

 

Under the purple sky. Kai, Dio and Chanyeol sit on a golden bench at the garden of Medius Meadow. Meanwhile, Baekhyun is being purified in the Purgatory.

“I’m still wondering, how can you forgive Baekhyun’s sins?” Kai asks Chanyeol who is already calm.

“Because I love him. He is my other half. He is my soul and everything,” answered Chanyeol.

“Love? But he had unloved you,” asked Dio.

Chanyeol sighs, “Sincere love can forgive everything. I love him unconditionally and I know Baekhyun still loves me as much as I do. He just.. he just lost.”

“How can humans love so sincere, but in the other time become so cruel towards another human? Angels can only feel one feeling,” Dio still confuse.

“Dio,” Kai stares Dio gently. “We just don’t know. Some things are unexplainable. Only the Almighty who knows everything. I have seen, Chanyeol’s sincere love. It is something beyond angels can understand.”

Dio halts. He sees a black angel in front of him who has taken countless human’s souls is talking about human’s love.

“You are right, Kai. Humans are more complex than angels,” Dio agrees.

 

 

Been fighting way too long

But I hear your voice

You had me all along

 

 

Out from the Purgatory, Baekhyun is purified. He can feel his soul is lighter. Soon he is brought to the Court of Medius Meadow again.

There he meets with the one he has been waiting for. A miracle for his forlorn soul.

“Chanyeol…” Baekhyun smiles.

“Baekhyun!” the tall man runs and embraces him as if he never wants to let go.

Baekhyun hugs Chanyeol very tightly. He doesn’t want to let go either. Never again.

 

“As the two souls reunite, let we begin the resolution.”

The mighty voice of God echoes but sounds so melodious.

“Byun Baekhyun. Your soul is forgiven. As your husband, Park Chanyeol wishes, you are released from the Hell. Your soul may remains forever in Heaven.”

The decision is final. A happiness delight illuminates the two souls.

 

Dio brings Chanyeol and Baekhyun to the White Heaven, along with Kai.

But before Lu the Guardian of White Heaven opens the gate, those two humans turn back.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun walk to Kai and give him warm embraces.

“I never know an angel of death can be a very kind angel,” said Chanyeol.

Baekhyun nods as he holds Kai’s hands. “Thank you for saving me, dear black angel,” Baekhyun smiles. “Thank you for saving us.”

That time, Kai only nods without saying a word. A stiff smile he can give.

Dio immediately takes Baekhyun and Chanyeol to enter the White Heaven. Secretly, Dio sees a slight of sparkle on Kai’s Garnet eyes.

“Thank you for helping me, Kai. I will meet you at Medius Meadow after this,” said Dio.

“Alright,” Kai replies as he spread his black wings and flies away.

 

 

When I'm starting to drown

You jump in to save me

When my world's upside down

Your hands, they shake me and wake me

 

---

 

 

The rainbow glows on the purple sky. Somewhere far behind the Judgment Court, there is a garden in the meadow. Where grasses are not only green but also pink and blue. Where there is a huge Tree of Life. Where all names of living creatures on Earth are written on every leaf of the tree. Each destiny has been written for them.

Kai stands near the Tree of Life. He sees Chanyeol’s name beside Baekhyun’s name. They were destined to be together, even in the Afterlife. Kai wonders. He is searching for his name. But he doesn’t find any angel’s names there. The tree is only for the human’s souls. Maybe angels’ destiny are written somewhere else, he thinks. Somewhere only the Almighty knows.

Later on, Dio comes along.

“Watching over humans’ destiny?”

As Kai turns back, Dio feels his own heart flutters. Not the same heart like human’s heart. The heart of angel is something beyond human reasoning. Something divine and transcendental.

“Just seeing how their souls are as fragile as the falling leaves,” Kai denies.

Dio throws a warm smile to Kai.

“You have a warm heart. I know you felt such warm feelings flow through your body when Chanyeol and Baekhyun hugged you.”

“What do you want to conclude?” asked Kai.

“Despite your cold and terrifying look, despite your duty to take human’s souls, basically you care about human’s feelings.”

“Being an angel of death doesn’t mean that I don’t have a heart. I used to see how humans suffer or happy or sad or angry. I feel them. I feel their pains when their souls are being taken inch by inch.”

“But you are just different than the other black angels. You don’t hate humans.”

Kai subsides. Dio is right, he thinks.

“I want to know more about humans,” said Dio. “Even humans can melt the cold heart of a black angel like you, right?” Dio giggles as he continues,“I want to meet humans on the earth. I want to see them not only in heaven. I want to feel how they live. But I never go to the earth.”

Kai stares at Dio.

“Do you know the rules that now every black angel must choose a white angel as partner to accompany on earth?” asked Kai as he tries so hard to hold his grin.

“I do,” answered Dio.

“Then I will choose you,” Kai walks closer to Dio. Their wings meet. “I choose you to be my partner.”

Dio opens his mouth. “Really?” He almost can’t believe what he just heard.

“From now on, everytime I do my duties on earth, you will accompany me. Everytime I take any soul, you give bless to what they leave on earth. Give them hope. Give them miracle. Soothe their sorrow and anger. Give them happiness,” explained Kai.

“I will,” Dio agrees.

“Brace your grace,” Kai smirks as he flaps his black wings.

Kai loves his decision. He thinks Dio is very suitable to accompany him. Although before he thought that anyone was fine, but he doesn’t see anyone more suitable than Dio. He just feels such comfort everytime he sees Dio. Usually he sees other white angels are just the same. Bright, but plain and flat. Dio is just somewhat different. Dio is more passionate, about humans.

Kai hopes his numb feelings caused by pain he feels whenever he takes humans’ soul can be overwhelmed. He hopes Dio can help him enlightened his feelings. Because, even an angel of death needs a miracle. Even a shade of darkness needs a ray of light.

A light that doesn’t hide the shadow, but let the shadow remains there.

 

 

Oh, tell me you're here

That you will watch over me forever

Oh, take hold of my heart

Show me you'll love me, forever...

 

---

 

 

A/N:

Everyone, finally a Chapter 2! ><

I am so sorry that I procrastinate too much to write…………………………………….

o<-<  (drown in laziness)

First, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MY BETA  @Purpleflos

Anita, you revised my fic so fast! How magical… *_*

 

Honestly, I kinda shocked when I saw EXO use Labyrinth concept in their Overdose MV.

Because I had the idea of the maze in the entrance of Black Heaven since a loooong time ago.

Well, it suits EXO now. LOL ^^;

 

Oh, I put some song lyrics in the end of every scene. The song lyrics are from the songs those I mixed as the soundtrack for this story.

You can listen to the songs here:  http://8tracks.com/altair-vega/heavenly-agony

 

I hope everyone will love this story.

Please subscribe, upvote and give comments for the story. (I always love comments)

Thank you so much for your anticipation! ^_^

XOXO