First Day

Incomprehensible Love

The day continued, even if time seemed to have stopped for EunHyuk. EunHyuk had been daydreaming throughout all the lessons, to the point SungMin got bored of him and decided to befriend the people sitting on his left. Fortunately, the teachers decided not to teach since it's only the first day of school, and instead briefed the students about what to bring for school the next day... which meant it was okay for EunHyuk to expand his imagination.

Before he knew it, SungMin was nudging him at the sides. "W-what?" EunHyuk questioned, feeling flustered. "EunHyuk, it's lunchtime! Don't you want to grab something to eat?" EunHyuk blinked up at his seatmate who was standing next to his table. "O-Oh...Oh right! I have to go search for KangIn and the others!" EunHyuk gasped as he shoved his stuff into his bag. SungMin laughed and patted his head. They have already settled their age differences, so SungMin started to act like a hyung to EunHyuk. Honestly, EunHyuk doesn't mind; he loves the new kind of attention he's receiving, so it's all fine. "You're gonna go join your other friends for lunch?" SungMin asked while smiling. EunHyuk nodded and smiled back. "Alright then, let's head there together!" Girls started to surround SungMin, but without a care, SungMin dragged his friend out of the classroom, with the bunch of girls trailing behind them.

"You seem...lucky with girls." EunHyuk mumbled just loud enough for SungMin to hear. SungMin laughed and shook his head. "No, not at all. Most of these girls are friends. Too bad no one will like me like that," SungMin huffed, but when he spotted the sign that read [CAFETERIA], a large smile became plastered on hsi face as he bounced away from EunHyuk. The group of girls squealed and ran after SungMin. EunHyuk raised an eyebrow. He wanted to think about what SungMin said to him earlier, but was interupted by a forceful slap on his back. It took no time for EunHyuk to wail, "KangIn~~~ Don't do that!"

The taller male behind him gave a hearty laugh and placed a hand on EunHyuk's shoulders, pulling him close. EunHyuk forgot everything as he chatted with his friend.

EunHyuk's Point of View (P.O.V)

I mentally sighed in relief when KangIn found me at the entrance of the cafeteria. I don't know how many times I have thought over the possibilities of them finding new friends and abandoning me, or that I wouldn't be able to find them in this crowded cafeteria at all. However, KangIn didn't seem the least bothered as he dragged me to stand at the back of one of the long queues. "Hey, help me order a cheese burger. I'll get some coffee for us," KangIn said. I looked at him and replied, "Okay, but... I don't drink coffee...Is it possible for me to get strawberry milk? If there isn't any then I'm fine with chocolate milk," KangIn nodded and left for the other side of the cafeteria that sells drinks.

When I was finally nearing the counter, a hand poked my arm. I almost screamed as I turned to the side. Turns out, it was just LeeTeuk. "Yo! Um, here's some money. Buy what you need, just please do me a favor and order a chicken burger for me and a beef burger for RyeoWook."

Before I could even give a coherent response, it was already my turn to order.


"HyukJae! Here!"

I turned to the source of the voice while struggling to juggle the coins and food in my hands. Why don't they give trays for snacks? Sheesh. Anyway, I saw KangIn and the others sitting at a table near one of the large windows. I maneuvered my way towards the round glass table and sat down, feeling my legs relax. I passed the food around the table, and in return, I got my small carton of strawberry milk. After I passed the change to LeeTeuk, I was about to reach into my pocket to pay him when he stopped me.

"It's fine, it's fine! I seldom treat people, and this might be the only time I'll ever treat you to anything, you don't have to feel guilty~" LeeTeuk chirped without a care in the world. I hummed in response, showing my confusion, but started to dig into my meal as well.

"Okay, friends! We have known each other for a few hours already, but we still haven't introduced ourselves." LeeTeuk said, causing everyone to chuckle at the irony. "I'm Park Jung Soo. In middle school, there was a very pretty girl with the exact same name as me, so I decided to create a nickname for myself. I wanted an innocent and pretty nickname, so my sister started calling me 'LeeTeuk', which basically means 'special'. People around me adapted to my nickname well, so it kind of stayed throughout high school too,"

"Wait, you have a sister?" I asked, feeling curious. LeeTeuk then explained that his parents have divorced when he was 15 years old, but he maintained a very close relationship with his elder sister, Park In Young. "I'm okay, serious." LeeTeuk said when KangIn sympathetically placed his arm around him.

"Since we're in the cafeteria, I shall just go ahead and tell you: I can't eat or drink bitter food and drinks. Guess I have baby taste buds, huh? In high school, my girlfriend used to laugh a lot when we went to coffee shops, because I only bought Iced Chocolate!" We laughed, but I told LeeTeuk that I'm similar to him as well, even the reason why we created our nicknames were similar.

Going in a clockwise direction, the next to speak is KangIn. "I'm Kim Young Woon, but I'm called KangIn by my family and friends. At first, because I was stronger than most kids my age, people seemed to fear me, so my parents gave me the nickname KangIn, which means 'Strong Benevolence'. But similiarly, the name have stuck since elementary school. Oh, and I'm the only child. I don't have any siblings," KangIn said slowly. RyeoWook became excited and raised his hand as he told us that he's also an only child. "As for eating habits, I prefer eating things that manly men would eat!"

The rest of us went quiet as we didn't know how to reply to that, but KangIn didn't seem to notice. He slapped my back to signal that it was my turn to introduce myself. I told them the same things I did to SungMin. "I have an elder sister called Lee So Ra, and I like to eat strawberries, oranges, and gyool. My favourite drink is strawberry milk and um... I don't like seafood."

All of them grinned and nodded in understanding.  We all adverted our attention to RyeoWook, who doesn't have a specific nickname. "I love ice-cream and chocolate, but I basically eat anything that comes my way. I think it's because I love to cook, but I'm not quite sure." RyeoWook finished off with an embarrassed laugh.

"So in conclusion, in terms of age, I'm oldest, KangIn second, EunHyuk third, and RyeoWook youngest?" We nodded to LeeTeuk's statement.

We continued to talk and stopped only when the bell rang, signaling the start of afternoon classes. I met SungMin while I was heading to class and I felt my heart skipping beats when I thought about how I'd be seeing DongHae again. As expected, he was still sleeping with a cap covering his face when I entered the classroom. I tried to control my heavy footsteps so SungMin wouldn't notice anything different, but he did. Luckily, a girl came up to SungMin and distracted him. I left the two to chat and almost ran up to my seat.

But since I was nervous and all, I accidentally hit DongHae's desk with my chair as I pulled it out. The loud sound seemed to have disturbed his sleep as he yawned and stretched. I flinched and froze on the spot, staring at him. He probably felt me staring at him as he looked up at me from under his cap, smirking immediately. I gulped and gave a small bow. "I apologize for waking you up. I-I'm just so c-clumsy sometimes...sorry." I scratched the back of my neck and glanced away from him, feeling awkward and scared for some reason.

The whole time, DongHae simply stared at me. When I finally dared to look at him again, our eyes met and I couldn't look away.

"You have to pay for interrupting my nap, monkey."

Eh?