The Response

Incomprehensible Love

Previously...

The KangTeuk parents and the HanKyung-HeeChul pair joined EunHae's discussion.

DongHae finds himself being confessed to in the most absurd, roundabout way (i.e. the last few chapters). What will he say?


EunHyuk attempted to fold into himself so much that he'd disappear, but it didn't work. This was probably the worst day of his life yet.

It's embarrassing enough that his crush now knows the truth, but what makes it worse is he has to wait for the response in front of an audience. He looked around at the two pairs of boys, feeling awkward as heck.

DongHae seemed to notice this right away and felt the sudden urge to mend things.


EunHyuk's P.O.V

Oh. My. Gosh.

What am I supposed to dooo?? Here I am, with DongHae right in front of me, but it's not even a date!
I can accept it if he doesn't like me back, I can even come to terms with him being taken by Kibum already, but... but...

WHY do I have to suffer in front of other people?

1) We're in a public cafe, discussing my pathetic crush nonchalantly
2) DongHae has to answer my "confession" in front of our friends!!

This is the worst, absolute worst day of my life.

Just then, DongHae cleared his throat. I felt a sense of pity; it must be difficult to keep calm when there are two parent-like boys glaring right at you.

"I know I've been a jerk, and I know EunHyuk thinks I'm in love with KiBum. I want to clear the misunderstandings right away, but... i-is it okay if you guys leave?"

LeeTeuk looked like someone just told him he was ugly. His face showed the iconic how-dare-you look.

Before he could open his mouth to complain, DongHae shused him straight away. "Look. I won't hurt him anymore. Could you please just give us some privacy? It feels awkward, for me at least, to have to address this in front of all of you."

My heart skipped a beat. I'm not sure if he intended for that to happen, but it just felt like he knew I was uncomfortable. Forget what I said. I would never ever recover if he rejects my confession harshly. And I'll definitely ugly-sob if he tells me he has been dating KiBum since the first day of school.

I sat there, tensed and silent as I waited for my friends' response. HanKyung-hyung and HeeChul doesn't seem to be too bothered.

...

"Fine. But we're going to move just a few tables down. If he starts crying, you're gonna get it from me!" LeeTeuk huffed, bolting right up. KangIn gave me a partial hug and patted my back. He whispered, "Good luck. We'll be here for you if you need us."

I felt so touched. I really am glad to have met them. These wonderful, wonderful people.

I nodded and returned with a quick hug before he left with the others. The next available table wasn't too far from us, just two tables down. However, there's a large vase of pretty, artificial flowers right between us, so their view must be obscured (if LeeTeuk craning his neck every once in a while is any indication).

I looked down at my cup of hot chocolate, now feeling surprisingly more awkward than before. Maybe I do want my friends here after all? I looked up, about to suggest this, but DongHae was staring right at me.

He seemed to know what I was thinking, as he said: "No, it's definitely better that they're gone." He sighed, and I flinced involuntarily. "EunHyuk... I'm sorry."

My lips trembled immediately, but I tried to look unaffected. I bit them back and attempted a smile. "It's fine, really. I know you and KiBum are together; I don't mean to break you guys up or anything---You... you..." You guys look good together.

I couldn't find it in me to say that. It would betray all of my feelings. As difficult as it was to hear your crush rejecting you, since I've come so far I'm not ready to let these precious feelings disappear anymore.

"... EunHyuk-ah, listen to me."

I shook my head---just the slightest of movements. He went quiet.

I sighed. There's no point dragging this out anymore.

"It's okay. We can end it here. I don't need to hear your answer."

DongHae looked utterly and completely baffled. I must have looked so stupid! I gave an emotionless, breathy chuckle. "Sorry I look like this right now. I... I'll get over this. Maybe. Just, don't think it's anything to do with you. This was my own mistake---"

His hands reached across the table and held my arms firmly. Shocked, I instinctively looked up and we met gazes. This time, his eyes were serious and I couldn't find the will to look away. Will this be the last time I'll be this physically close to him?

"EunHyuk. Listen: It's not what you think. I don't like KiBum. Not even in the slightest sense. I don't understand how you can even conjure up such a disgusting image!"

Blank.

.

.

I blinked, and felt some tears fall. "Eh...?" What's happening? It's not... true? But they looked so close...

"He has been trying to get close to me, but I swear there's NOTHING between us. I don't know what you've heard or seen, but honestly I feel something even close to hatred for that guy really."

I felt as if all the air has been out of me. I just kept staring at this handsome, handsome man, trying to wrap my head around things.

"And... I'm sorry. I'm sorry I had to hear about your feelings in that way. It would've gone so much more smoothly, but it didn't. Do you want me to respond to it now, or do you want me to forget this ever happened? I know you didn't mean for me to hear any of it."

My tongue felt like it was too big for my mouth. I suddenly felt thirsty and a hint of dizziness was starting to hit me. Who is this guy? DongHae isn't a bad person, not in my eyes at least, but he has also never been this thoughtful?

I felt tears welling up again. What a drama queen. How could I ever stop loving this guy? He can be mean, but he can be this sweet too. I don't know how to feel anymore.

Soon, I felt the strong hands letting go of me. I felt a rise of panic in me, and struggled to get the words out. DongHae seemed to interpret this negatively, as he rubbed the back of his head in the way that shows extreme shame. "Yeah, maybe you're right. Do you want to go join them at their table? I'm going to leave."

He started to push his chair back, but just before he managed to stand I pulled him down once more.

"I-I want to hear it. Your response. Please. I really need to know. Sorry about what I said, I---"

His face seemed to light up, looking more pleased than he ever did in the past two hours. He sat back down, one hand still on my hand that stopped him.

I blushed, trying to move away but he held it tight.

"T-thank you for your feelings. I'm sorry I didn't realize. I... still don't know how I feel about you yet, but I don't think I'll like it at all if you left. I know I asked for your opinion, but if you actually chose to forget all of this... I don't know how I'd cope. I think... I think I mightt have gotten used to your presence."

I gulped, digesting all this information. It was very wishy-washy and I didn't know how to feel about it. So I stayed quiet and stared at him, hoping he'd say more.

"... Um... EunHyuk-ah, I don't know what to do. If you'd like, we could give this thing a c-casual try?" He looked away, a blush extending across his well-defined cheeks.

I couldn't breathe.

"Really?"

He glanced at me, staring at the floor right after. He nodded, clearly unsure how this conversation will go.

At this point he wasn't holding my hand anymore, so I retracted it. I stared at my lap, trying to collect my thoughts.

"... if you don't want to, I get it---" DongHae spoke up, but I hated every word that came out of that mouth.

I glared at him, nose scrunching up. "No. Please don't say that. I- I'd love to. Please? Can we really try this out? I'll do my best to be the best boyfriend ever, er... casually, I mean. Yea. Casual."

My face must have been really red as he burst into laughter as soon as he turned to look at me. I became flustered, not knowing how to react.

After wiping a tear, he glanced up at me and gave me the most breathtaking smile I've ever seen. "Sure. Let's."

I nodded wordlessly, lips pressed into a thin line. The worst day has just become one of the best, and I'm not sure how well I can cope with this emotional rollercoaster.

He chuckled again, this time reaching across to hold my head with one hand. I looked up, expecting him to pat my head, but instead, he inched closer and---

"YAA! LEE DONGHAE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO OUR EUNHYUK?!"

LeeTeuk's voice was completely muffled in my ears, and it was probably the same in DongHae's as well.

My first kiss. With my first 'casual' boyfriend.

When he finally got pulled away by a raging LeeTeuk, all he said was: "I can't believe I bullied you into making you my 'monkey', and you actually put up with it."

He looked so puzzled and regretful, I couldn't help but laugh.