I - The President's Son

A Unicorn's Kiss

"With... Unicorn?" I answered. I forgot his name in an instant.

"With a unicorn? You really need to eat, don't you?" my father jokingly asked.

I nodded and smiled. Why did I forget his name? My unnies were waiting for us already at the veranda for our snacks. Thank goodness, we all still managed to have snacks. Lately, the owner of the land of our orphanage plans to sell it to the a rich Chinese family. Of course, we were against it. But we had no choice. The owner was so desperate and he had no considerations for us.

We only had one month to stay. Yes, a month. When the due date comes, we are compulsed to move out. The kids will be brought to different orphanages around Korea and my father, my sisters and I didn't have any clue of where to stay.

A girl orphan of eight, went to me and hugged me. "Unnie, please tell them that we are staying here. I don't want to be separated from all of you."

I couldn't answer. I wanted to cry but I was trying to be strong for the poor little girl.

The next day, I was washing the pillow cases when I heard footsteps aside. I heard them laughed... at me. Yes, people of my age liked me bullied.

"Look at that dark blind girl... So poor..." a female voice said. Her companions laughed.

"Yeah, where the earth did she come from?"

"She doesn't look Korean."

"Maybe her parents didn't like her appearance."

"Duh, her parents are also not Korean!"

"And because her skin is like that, no one would be with her. She's ugly and blind and dark. A total combo."

Their teasings were too harsh and I couldn't take it anymore. I was about to utter a word when...

"Before you guys judge other people, look at yourselves first. I think you guys are just jealous of this beautiful girl."

The voice was familiar. I remembered. It was Unicorn. The guy I met yesterday.

"And who are you?" one of them asked.

"Don't you know, Dah Min? He's... he's..." one of them muttered. She recognized Unicorn. This guy must have been respected. "Oh, Sir, we are so sorry. We will never do it again." And I heard them ran away. I was shocked.

"It's you again, young lady. What are you doing here?" he asked.

"Who are you? Why are they so afraid of you?" I asked him also.

"I'm Lay Zhang."

I paused for a moment. Zhang... was a surname my father would always say that we should respect. His family, as the townsmen said, is one of the richest in China. His father... is the buyer of this land, this land where homeless children stay, this land where I grew up, this land where I feel secure of myself.

"You..." I suddenly kneeled. "Please tell your family not to buy this land. I beg you. Think about the children. Think about our orphanage. I would do anything."

"Why... could you stand up and listen to me?"

I stood up. I was reaching for his hand for mercy. "I can't. My father wanted it and I can't do anything about it."

"Please convince him. You are his son. I mean, Oppa... Sir, please... have mercy."

"Okay... But do me a favor."

I stopped for a moment. What favor?

"Anything, Sir."

"Please join me in the fields everyday for 30 days."

"Wha-what?"

"30 days... You like the fields, right?"

"But... but I can't do that."

"Be my girlfriend."

"I'm sorry, Sir. I really can't-"

"Okay... But you know, I'm really sincere of helping you. If you don't want, it's okay." Then he started to walk away. He was, I think a meter away when I stopped him. "Okay... Please, just help me, Sir. Please don't play with me."

"And Soo Ah, promise me one thing."

"What, Sir."

"Never try to fall in love with me."

"Of course, Sir."

"And don't call me Sir. Just Oppa. Oppa's too cute for me."

"Yes... Oppa."

"Well then, see you tomorrow. Bring some stories with you."