--

Warmth

“Yeol…”

A hand softly shakes his shoulder.

“Chanyeol…”

“Hmm?” he answers groggily, his eyes still heavy with sleep.

“I want to eat pajeon… Can you buy it for me?”

“What? Now? Jagi-ya, it’s 2 in the morning. Where can I get pajeon right now?” he asks; half tired and half pissed off because he just went to sleep at 12 earlier. He hasn’t been getting any sleep because of his job, now he has to wake up to fulfill his wife’s cravings.7 months into her pregnancy and the craving still comes up once in a while.

“Everywhere. The food stalls on the streets are still open… Please?”

Chanyeol turns around only to find a pair of pleading eyes he knows he couldn’t say no to. His wife for almost 2 years, looks really beautiful ever since he laid his eyes on her for the first time. And now that she’s pregnant, carrying his own son, sure she got a little chubby and her figure got a little bit rounder, but it only makes her look more amazing to him. He takes a deep breath and sits up.

“I’ll be back later”, he mutters.

He swipes his palm over his face to wipe away the sleepiness and starts looking for his keys and jacket. He goes out to buy what his wife wants and 30 minutes later he comes back. He carefully places them on a plate and gives it to his waiting wife. She takes them with a big grin and starts eating. He watches in silent as his wife eats her pajeon eagerly. He never knows that pajeon could taste that delicious.

“Is it good?” he asks.

“Yes. Do you want some?”

“No, no. Just eat a lot, okay?”

She nods at him and smile, continues to eat her meal. When she’s done, she’s about to get up and put the plate away, but he stops her.  

“No, I’ll put this in the kitchen. It’s already hard for you to get up” he said.

“Thank you…” she said quietly as she watches his leaving back. She sighs and bites her lower lip. Honestly, she has been feeling guilty because she bothers him so much at night. Her hormones are driving her crazy. She often wakes him up for late night meal, late night cravings, late night —not that he’s complaining about the last one, but still. She knows it’s his duty as her husband, and she couldn’t be happier that he does it amazingly. He never gets angry, but she knows from one look on his face that he’s tired even though he does not say it. She wills herself and promises to her unborn son she will make it up to Chanyeol by being a better wife and a great mom for them. Just then, Chanyeol appears from the door.

“Let’s sleep now” he says, lying beside her and pulling the sheets over both of them. He already closed his eyes when he feels her small hand took his own and put it on her stomach. Chanyeol can feel his son kicking softly from inside of her.

“He says, thank you appa” she whispers.

He looks at her and smiles.

It’s all worth it.

 

 

-------

Pajeon is Korean fried pancake (?)