The Jungs

Affluenza

The Jungs

 

“Jess, you’ll see that you’ll like it here,” Ambassador Jung assured his scowling daughter who hadn’t stopped protesting the move from start to even then as they were settling in to their new home. It was a big concession, New York and America was all she had known except for the odd trip they made to Seoul, but he’d hoped for understanding.

 

Jessica wanted to huff in indignation, but she was too mature for such a thing. The stress of her father’s lobbying campaign was enough without his bratty daughter throwing a fit, “We’ll see,” Her dismissive acceptance getting a grateful smile from her father.

 

“Why don’t you and Krystal go shopping? I’m sure you will want a new dress for tomorrow,” he suggested, guiding her into the hallway already reaching for his Black Card to facilitate their spending.

 

Whenever there was a bribe for a new dress, especially on his personal card, signaled a dinner or event coming up she’d rather not attend, “Dinner or party?”

 

“Your uncles and cousins will be coming over to officially greet us on our return, along with a few others,” it was better to reveal it out right with Jessica than surprise her, something he’d learnt a long time ago. Frankly speaking though, it was a strategy meeting with his brothers and possible campaign funders and backers, veiled as a welcome party for them with the cautious addition of their children. “Their children are about your age, so I’m sure you’ll make friends tomorrow night.”

 

There were no friends in their world, just strategic alliances that kept you at the top and out of being ostracized. It was like that on the Upper East Side and it would be the same with these Gangnam raised brats. “Then shoes, jewelry and new bags will be essential,” if she had to tolerate guests on what she considered a rest weekend before starting school, then she would milk the bribe for whatever it was worth.

 

“Of course, whatever you want sweetheart,” thankful for his eldest’s less combative stance. Usually it took more to get her to be agreeable, but he wasn’t complaining.

 

She accepted the kiss on her temple before searching out her little sister for the excursion, “Krys, let’s go. We have some shopping to do.” Unlike her, the move was a god send to Krystal who wanted to make it big in the entertainment industry, the Korean market being easier to infiltrate than Hollywood or Broadway.

 

“Didn’t we go shopping yesterday? What’s the occasion this time,” Krystal answered her sister’s call, not opposed to shopping but knowing there was a catch behind it.

 

“We’re having guests over tomorrow,” she replied, calling for the car.

 

Krystal snickered, “and you are still not pitching a fit? This is a surprise.” Her mocking earned her an especially icy glare from her unnie who wasn’t in all that happy a mood despite the looming retail therapy. “Glare all you want sis, but I won’t drop dead.”

 

“Just get in the car, brat,” Jessica ordered, fighting a smile as the car finally pulled up in front of them. She supposed the only upside to all this was having her sister beside her to navigate the impeding hell that was adjusting to cultural difference, and high school.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

“I expect you to be there and welcoming,” Minister Jung informed his son, as the lay-about came sauntering in with a lazy gait and brandishing a guitar case. How this dazed hippie came from him and his wife he had no idea, because other than physical resemblance he had nothing he expected his son to become.

 

Yonghwa gave his father a lazy smile, “Of course abeoji, I can’t wait to see my cousins. It’s been a while.” He didn’t miss his father’s irritation at him. Sometimes he wondered if his mere breathing could set off the man as he seemed almost intolerant of him.

 

“Try not to embarrass me, this is more than just a reunion,” the boy had zero ambition or direction in life and he was already going to be a senior in high school, soon to be gearing up for college exams yet he was mediocre at best.

 

He didn’t strive to be rebellious or embarrass his father, but he guessed having a son with no political ambition was just that in the man’s eyes. Even worse was one interested in the arts, especially the popular musical art that was rock, which he considered as hippie music. “Don’t worry father, I’ll remain silent and follow hyung’s lead.”

 

Yunho was his father’s ideal son when it came to kin. Handsome, driven, charismatic and career bound, where as he was a dreaming fool, with his head in the clouds. But, he also knew the burden of such praise put on his hyung’s shoulders, so he held no envy or resentment toward the man. Only love and admiration existed for Yunho for bearing such a heavy crown so the rest wouldn’t have to do the same.

 

“See that you do,” it annoyed him that his brother had been blessed with such a gem of a son, while he tolerated his son’s inadequacy.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

It was obvious what his father would ask him the minute he settled, and Yunho couldn’t help but dread it. So far the only battle he had ever won was his choice in career, but that victory had come with the consequences of not being able to choose his future wife. Something he chose so Jihye, Jessica, Krystal and Yonghwa wouldn’t have to in his place. The only consolation being that he got to chose –if you could call it that –from an array of women who met his parents’ requirements. His latest marriage meeting was with Lee Yeon Hee, daughter to the Lee Jeong Hee, owner of the second largest law firm in Korea, second only to his parents. While business wise it would be a great gain for his parents given that, Lee, had the strongest team when it came to constitutional and entertainment law, Yeon Hee was too young and too different in the things that mattered. He couldn’t imagine spending forever with her even if he tried.

 

“How was the meeting?” Jung Yanghyun asked his son, ending his conference call.

 

“It went well, abeoji,” it did. She wasn’t an awful girl and the date wasn’t unbearable, but their incompatibility was glaring.

 

The Jung patriarch laughed. “Just not well enough for an engagement,” his chuckle relieving his son of tension. While the alliance would have been extremely favorable to them, the girl didn’t match his son at all –too flighty and undecided. “I told your mother it wouldn’t stand, but she insisted on at least trying. Perhaps the next would be more appropriate.”

 

“Thank you for understanding,” Yunho smiled. His father had always had a strong poker face, making it hard to read him or gauge his reaction.

 

“You’re my son and though it may not always seem like it, I want what is best for you.” Yes, many would choose to think the contrary due to his insistence of an arranged marriage, but it was for his son’s protection.

 

Yunho was intelligent, rich, driven and would be successful in any path he chose to undertake because he not only worked hard, but worked smart. The problem lay with his heart; his son had a soft heart with a generous soul that made him vulnerable to those devious enough to use it against him. And, just like him, Yunho was one who fell hard when in love and it would be unfortunate if the one he loved was there for his status and money rather than for the man he was. It was the only thing he could do for his otherwise capable and independent son. “Jessica and Krystal have returned from the States permanently, and your aunt is holding a dinner as reunion. Please make yourself available.”

 

There had been discussion of his cousins returning to Korea, permanently, now that his uncle was making a play for the Blue House, but nothing had been set in stone. “You don’t have to ask, I’ll be there. It would be nice to see Sica and Krystal again.” Seeing the two girls was a rarity due to their residency in the United States, but was always welcomed. “I have an assignment to hand in, so I’ll leave first,” giving his father a bow before leaving.

 

He was grateful that his father hadn’t pushed Yeon Hee on him and had accepted his choice not to pursue her. But, part of him still wished he had the freedom to really choose the woman he would marry. However, he’d made his bed and now he had to lay in it.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

The last thing Jihye wanted was to attend a pretentious dinner party, but attending would get her parents off her back. It was only the weekend she would have to endure, before University started up again and she would be too busy to disappoint her parents with her chosen internship choice at the Public Prosecutor’s office.

 

At least Soojin had texted her and confirmed her attendance, which meant she would have her best friend to suffer with and she wouldn’t have to endure it alone. She’d just purchased her first cup of coffee and was rushing in hopes of getting to the office 15 minutes early, but she had the unfortunate luck of running into the last person she ever wanted to run into. “Cha Jinyong-sunbae,” she greeted trying to force a smile, she didn’t feel like displaying.

 

“Jung Jihye, it’s my luck to meet like this,” He displayed a bright dimpled smile, that didn’t quite reach his eyes. Not to mention the fact that she believed the ‘coincidence’ excuse as far as she could throw him, which wasn’t all that far. In fact she doubted she could lift him if she tried…let’s just say, she didn’t trust in his innocence. “We’re you about to go to the office?”

 

As always he stated the obvious to stall her with unnecessary conversation, in hopes to slide in a request. “Yes… I’ll –” just when she was going to politely excuse herself and, hightail it out of there, he prevented her by cutting her off.

 

“ –Just a minute, please. I wanted to ask if you’ve forwarded my request. I know it was presumptuous to ask but I would really love to work with Jun Jung & Associates…” and there it was, his request for her use her filial connection to get him a position in her parents law firm for him. It had begun the moment she’d stepped on campus. He’d befriended her, alluded false interest only to show his true colors when he’d slipped in his request to her. From then on she’d done everything to avoid him, but he still shamelessly pursued her, now blatant with his intentions.

 

Taking in a deep breath to calm herself, she spoke. “If you want a position, you’ll have to apply like everyone else. My mother and father don’t do favors for anybody, even me if you recall.” Okay, her case was different. She could have applied and gotten an entry level position at the Law firm, but she wanted to do things on her own merit. Stand on her own two feet without her parents influence to help her, hence the public prosecutors internship she was currently undergoing, and this guy thought it was as easy as romancing her to get a position? It would be a mistake on his part.

 

“But I’m sure a word from their daughter won’t hurt,” he insisted, pulling his smile wider until it looked literary painful to hold.

 

“I’m sorry, I can’t help you,” she told him firmly, eyes hard so he finally understood her ‘I’m busy’ was really, ‘I won’t help you’ and would leave her alone. “I’m late, I’ll leave first.” She side stepped him quickly, and left the café she was suppose to leave minutes ago but delayed by foolish questions from oblivious sunbaes.