Chapter 2 - The Aftermath

The Fallen

Seungri’s POV

Chaerin’s been sitting there beside the hospital bed of the girl in silence for I-don’t-know-how-long-hours, I tried to comfort her earlier but she’s been ignoring me, it’s like she have her own world and don’t want me to enter.

 

Everything that had happened tonight was my entire fault, if I didn’t pester her to see me so that we can “discuss our school project” the accident will never happen. My conscience has been bothering me ever since she told me that she hit someone.

 

I rushed to her location as fast as I can to help her and what I saw was not the Chaerin that I know, her composure was down. She’s been sobbing uncontrollably and trembling due to fear. I tried to call her mother but she grabbed my phone and threw it somewhere, now I no longer have a phone, I sighed.

 

On the other hand, the condition of the girl was worst, there were blood all over, I thought she’s already dead but when I checked her pulse, it was still beating weakly. I was relieved when the ambulance arrived because the girl will be treated for her to survive. We’re about to follow the ambulance when the police patrol car also arrived, we were ushered to the police station instead for questioning of what had happened.

 

During our stay in the police station, Chaerin’s defenses were still down, she just kept on crying while answering each and every question thrown to her, if I could just take her place, I would gladly take it because it was my entire fault anyway.

 

As they were busy doing their thing, I sneakily took Chaerin’s phone in her purse that was left in my car. I’ve got to tell her family of what happened, but who to call? I tried to look for her parents’ phone number but couldn’t find it, I don’t know what name did she name them, so I just scrolled every contact and just picked a random number. I hope it’s her relative at least, here goes nothing.

 

“Yeoboseyo?” someone answered on the second ring.

 

 

“Good evening sir, may I ask if you’re Chaerin’s relative?” I politely asked.

 

“Who are you?”

 

“I’m Lee Seungri sir, Chaerin’s friend, I just want to know if you’re her relative?”

 

“Why?” he rudely asked.

 

Oh my goodness, why can’t he just answer my question, a simple yes or no will do. Why does he have to answer me with another question?

 

“It’s because Chaerin needs help sir, we’re currently here in the police station, there’s an accident that happened. I just want to inform her family of what had happened so that they can attend to her. So for the third time, are you her relative? If not, let’s just end this conversation because we’re just wasting each other’s time.” I irritably explained.

 

“Nice one kid.” He laughed. “I’m Kwon Jiyong, I’m Chaerin’s cousin.”

 

Finally, he answered. I sighed in relief.

 

“You said Chaerin needs help, what happened to her?”

 

“She was involved in an accident, she hit someone on her way to meet me-

 

“What? What do you mean she hit someone? She’s supposed to be in our family gathering tonight, how come she went out?”

 

“About that sir, I asked her to meet me-

 

“Are you her boyfriend?” he growled at me.

 

“No sir, we were partners in our school project, I asked her to meet me to discuss our project but unfortunately the accident happened.”

 

“How is she?”

 

“She’s still in shocked, and I think she’s traumatized. Can you please contact her parents, tell them what happen. I don’t know how to contact them.”

 

“Where are you? I’m going there.”

 

“We’re in the police station right now, they were still interrogating her, but after this we’re going to Seoul National University Hospital, she wants to see the girl she’d hit.”

 

“Okay, I’ll be there and please don’t leave her alone.”

 

“Arasso.”

 

After our conversation, I went back to see Chaerin, to check if the policeman were done interrogating her, fortunately they were and they released us afterwards.

 

We went straight to check the girl, when we arrived, I was so thankful that the doctors were already done treating her. According to them, the girl hit her head pretty bad and suffered a concussion, they were still monitoring her for internal bleeding and hemorrhaging, they already confined her in a nice hospital room, where we’re currently at.

 

Hours have passed and it’s already two in the morning, I’ve told Chaerin to take a rest, that I’ll take in-charge to sit with the girl but she won’t listen to me. I hope her cousin will arrive soon, maybe he can talk some sense to her.

 

I was on the verge of falling asleep when suddenly someone barge into our room ruining the peace and quiet that Chaerin and I worked so hard to get (insert sarcasm in here).

 

“Oppa?” Chaerin said.

 

Oppa? So this must be her cousin, from our conversation earlier, I thought he’s already old but I was wrong. He wears a ripped denim pants and a white shirt, from the way he scowl, he looks very scary, I suddenly felt nervous seeing this guy.

 

He went straight to Chaerin and hugged her tightly.

 

“Oppa, I didn’t mean to hurt her, she suddenly appeared out of nowhere, I didn’t mean to.” She sobbed in his arms.

 

“Ssh, it’s alright, it’s not your fault, it was an accident, nobody wants this to happen so please stop crying.”

 

“There’s so many blood, I thought I already killed her-

 

“Stop.” The guy held Chaerin’s shoulder and looked at her in the eye.

 

Watching them makes me envious, I wish I was the one who’s comforting her.

 

“Stop thinking those kinds of things, it was an accident, the girl survived that’s what matter most. Look at you, you’re a mess Chaerin-ah, you need rest, go home.”

 

“No, I will not leave her-

 

“Go home, your parents are waiting for you-

 

“You told them?”

 

“Yes, after your friend and I talked, I called them to inform them of what had happened. They are very worried, so please go home.”

 

Chaerin looked at me accusingly, I just smiled at her awkwardly.

 

“The girl? What about the girl?”

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll watch over her.”

 

Then the guy turn to me and said “You’re name is Seungri right?”

 

I nodded.

 

“Can you please take her home?”

 

“Sure, anything for her.”

 

As Chaerin collects her things, her cousin, Jiyong is his name I think, approached me.

 

“Thank you for helping her and not leaving her alone. I really appreciate your help.”

 

“No problem.” It was my fault anyway. I added in my mind.

 

“Please drive safely.”

 

I like him, he’s a nice Oppa to Chaerin, but still, I wished I was the one who comforted her during this time when she needed someone. Oh well, it’s all my ‘Wishful Thinking’ now. It’s time to go home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m in the hospital again, my least favorite place, the place where I last was Hyori alive, the place where I don’t want to go back.

 

The most painful chapter of my life happened in this place, we were also involved in an accident that took the girl that I love away from me. As much as I want to avoid this kind of place, I can’t because Chaerin needs me, that’s why I’m here again, watching this girl. I hope she’ll survive, so that my cousin will be able to move on and get on with her life easily.

 

I looked at the girl whose peacefully sleeping, there’s so many tubes attached to her, her head is heavily bandaged and she has a lot of bruises. Even though she’s in her worst condition right now, I still find her cute and pretty, well I guess if I want to see how pretty she is when she’s awake I have to talk to her doctor to know how serious her condition is. As for now, I’ll be content watching the form of the sleeping beauty in front of me and try to shove at the back of mind the painful memories that I don’t want to remember.