When The Silence Is Broken

The Mirror

Even with the moon behind the clouds and only a few stars visible in the night sky Eun Sun still found it beautiful and calming. A gentle breeze blew past and Eun leaned her head back closing her eyes as she took a deep breath. After all these years her mom still stood firm in her belief that what Eun did was just a hobby. It felt like yesterday that she was first asked what she wanted to do when she grew older. As she in the cool night she thought back to the memory.

Flashback

Running through the house Eun Sun was wreaking havoc trying to find that something special to finish her latest creation to show to her mom and grandparents. After all, they always loved to see what she made and give her extra hugs and sometimes dessert!

Her search ended when she found a large shiney rose necklace in the guest bedroom. It was a beautifully carved gray stone that appeared to be a rose in midbloom attached to a silver chain. With a smile on her face she happily skipped back to her room ignoring the mess she had created in finding her newest treasure.

She walked around her bed and over to her favorite doll and placed the necklace on the doll smiling at the end result. She had just started to learn to sew a few months ago on her miniture sewing machine she had gotten for Christmas from her grandmother who had explained she thought it would give her something to look forward to when she came home from preschool and was waiting for her mom to pick her up.

Her doll that was lovingly named Soo Mi was dressed in a pink and cream striped skirt and a black top wrapped around the torso held in place with two silver buttons she had sewn on herself. Making sure the extra string had been cut off and the buttons weren't going to fall off she left her room heading towards the living room where her grandparents and mother were sitting. 

As soon as her grandfather saw her he smiled and opened his arms wide signalling he was ready for a hug and she launched herself at her favorite person.

"Eun Sun what have you made this time?"

"I made a skirt and shirt for Soo Mi!"

The adults smiled at her as she told them how long it had taken her and her troubles of finding the perfect buttons and necklace. She left out the fact that she had cut the buttons off of a bright orange and brown sweater her uncle had bought her that she didn't like.

"What do you want to do when you grow up Eun Sun? You really seem to like making outfits."

"I do! It's really fun!"

End Flashback

Eun tended to cut the memory off at that point not wanting to remember hearing her mother say how it was only a hobby and not something she'd be able to make a living off of. She tried for years to make her mom look at it from her point of view and to see that it wasn't just a hobby to her. It was a part of her, it was a way to show the world who she was.

At one point she just gave up trying to reason with her mother and when she was asked what she wanted to do shortly after that she replied with an answer that shocked but made her mom happy, she wanted to be a lawyer.

With her being 19 now her mom didn't have to worry about her setting the house on fire or making arrangements for her to stay somewhere if she had to work later than usual so she began taking on harder cases and tended to come home late and leave early. She had also gotten into the habit of working weekends but always made time for Eun Sun.

Having gotten used to this a long time ago Eun took time to continue following her passion and had taken over most of the guest room turning it into a studio where she could freely work and design clothing and decor to her hearts content. Even though her school had a uniform she stood out from her peers by creating accessories or adding small details that showed she was unique. She had even managed to make a small business out of this with some of her peers so they too could be an individual in a uniform.

Eun had finally managed to build up the courage to tell her mom that she didn't want to be a lawyer she wasn't prepared for the aftermath that soon followed. Now sitting alone in the park that she had found when she was younger she knew it was safe to let her guard down and let everything out. While she was close to her mom she knew her mom didn't realize she wasn't as confident as she looked. She was just as insecure as others and was afraid of her mother's opinion. That's why she had started saying she wanted to become a lawyer just like her mother.

The one thing she knew she couldn't give up however was her passion that she was determined to turn into a career. While she may be insecure with some of her decisions, her determination made up for it. The only problem she continued to run into was trying to convince her mom that she could turn her 'hobby' into a career and she didn't want to become a lawyer.

During her musing a young man had slowly started walking in her direction he paused mid-step when he was only a few meters from her and seeing no reaction from her, continued walking until he took a seat on the bench across from hers. She didn't bother paying any attention to him, he was just another person with something on their mind and she still didn't know what to do about the situation with her mom.

It wasn't until the stranger's phone rang and he hit ignore before turning it off did she really bother to take a good look at him. He had a hood pulled over his head casting shadows across his face that was cradled inbetween his hands as he mumbled incoherently. Eun was momentarily caught off guard when he phone started to vibrate. She pulled her phone out of her pocket and read the text message before sighing and shifting she was laying on the bench with her knees bent. After putting the phone back into her pocket she covered her eyes with her arm.

Emergency at the office don't wait up.

~Mom

It was at times like this one that she wished her grandparents hadn't moved out to the country a few years ago. She could really use some advice from two people who supported her unconditionally and had known about her ambitions.

She continued thinking for a few more minutes, without realizing it she had read the text out loud and her thoughts.

"You know I was once told by a close friend that it helps talking to somebody about your problems."

Eun sat up in a heartbeat with a small tinge of pink dusting her cheeks. "Did I really just say that all out loud?"

Hearing a chuckle was all she needed to hear to know he had indeed heard her. Groaning, she buried her head into her hands. "I'm sorry about that."

The stranger shifted so he was reclined against the back of the bench. "Don't worry about it, you seem to be about as stressed as me and that's saying something."

Eun laughed and rubbed the back of her head sheepishly, "You could say that."

In the distance a roll of thunder could be heard. Eun looked into the distance watching as the clouds began to roll over head.

"Crap."

Switching her attention to the guy in front of her she looked at him in confusion. "What's wrong it's just a storm."

He sighed, "I know but I was hoping to have more time to clear my head before I headed back to my apartment and face my friends. They mean well but they don't know when to give me space and time to think."

Eun nodded her head in understanding and stood up. "Well from what I can tell you are about as stressed as me and there's only one place I go to when I'm stressed and need time to really think. Besides there's a storm rolling in. So what do you say, would you rather go home and not really have time to think things over or trust a complete stranger and have more time to think and someone who's willing to listen?"

~*~

Well, chapter one is done. It's most likely going to be a few days before I post the next chapter because I will have limited internet access. Review and tell me what you think please!