Chapter 3

Will You?

Chu Ga Eul was standing before a metal gate of a double storey house. She had her index finger pressed on the bell, with no intention to let go. Her eyes were red, her cheek moist with tears. Her other hand fiddled restlessly with her satin dress, trying to calm her own anxiety down.

 

She didn't have to wait long before she could hear clapping of footsteps and the opaque metal gate finally opened, revealing Kim Min Seok who looked like he was sleepwalking.

 

"Yes . . . ." he mumbled. His eyes still closed, hair disheveled, and his oversized shirt was completely crumpled.

 

Without warning, GaEul jumped towards him, her arms wrapped around his neck. She hugged him so tight that MinSeok's eyes felt like they bulged out of its sockets. "GaEul" he managed to utter a word, despite being extremely flabbergasted. He was so shocked that his body automatically froze, unable to perform even the slightest movement.

 

After what felt like a thousand years, GaEul finally let go. She looked at him, still immersed in her deep sobbing.

 MinSeok's confused expression turned serious the moment he saw GaEul's soaked face. "Chu Ga Eul. What happened?" he who was already wide awake asked firmly.

GaEul continued to sob without any answer.

"Are you hurt?" his eyes wandered around her, trying to search for any abnormalities but failed to detect even one.

 

"MinSeok ah."GaEul's voice was finally heard.

 

"Why?" he replied softly, genuinely worried.

 

"Finally we are dating"

 

"What?" he asked, still trying to decode her statement.

 

"YiJeong-sunbae finally asked me for a date. A real date" she answered while still sobbing. Her lips gradually curved upwards to form a smile.

 

MinSeok's expression immediately transformed the moment he was able to comprehend GaEul's elaboration. "What?" he asked once again in a lower voice, trying to conform whatever he just heard.

 

''YiJeong-sunbae and I, are finally official'' she squeaked.

 

''Are you drunk?'' he questioned.

 

GaEul's smile immediately turned into a frown. Her sob gradually became stronger until a point where it turned into a loud cry. She didn't stop crying even when MinSeok pulled her inside to sit on the sofa and tried to persuade her using thousand of different ways.

 

''Please. Stop crying. I'm sorry okay? I'm sorry'' he said desperately.

''I am not drunk'' she finally able to calm down.

'' I know. I was joking, why did you have take every single thing seriously?'' he said while being hugely relieved at the same time. ''By the way, why are you mourning?'' he asked. ''Someone died?'' he added.

 

GaEul shook her head.

 

''You have to stop this habit of yours. People could misunderstand if they see you cry like this'' he rolled his eyes while his hand reached for the box of tissues located at the coffee table. ''Wipe your tears.'' he handed the box to GaEul. ''You look terrible'' he mumbled in a whisper so that GaEul couldn't hear him.

 

''What are you doing here this late when we will have to work tomorrow?'' he asked, his eyes fixed on her silky satin dress, something that she would hardly wear.

''JanDi is already at the hospital, my parents are dating somewhere in Taiwan. Who else should I look for to share this historical moment?'' she said.

''Look like there's no tomorrow'' he sarcastically said.

 

''Wait here. I'm gonna make some mushroom soup. Tell your historical story later'' he signed her to sit tight before he walked his way towards the kitchen.

He who apparently has excellent talent in cooking took the mushroom paste and milk from the fridge like it was just a trifling routine.

''MinSeok ah, should I help with anything?'' a late aged woman who had her white hair tied in a bun asked.

''There's no need, ahjumma'' he replied casually.

She nodded at the expected answer. She knew very well that the first son of her late employers love to cook, especially when it comes to cooking for that girl.

''Are you sure you are okay?'' she asked again, her face filled with concern. True that she was supposed to be just the family's maid, but then she had been in the family for too long, and she couldn't help but care for MinSeok and his younger sister like they are her own children.

 

''Sure. Mushroom soup isn't something difficult to do'' he replied simply.

''I'm not talking about the soup.'' she said. ''You know, I kind of heard everything. Are you sure you are going to be okay?''

 

MinSeok who seemed to focus on stirring the soup suddenly stopped. He then heaved a huge sigh before continuing on. '' Off course I am. Why shouldn't I?'' he smiled to her.

 

''Alright then'' she conceded. '' I’ll be in my room if you need me'' she began to make her move, leaving MinSeok alone with his pots and pans.

 

 

 

 

''Miss GaEul, wake up'' a woman's voice floated around GaEul.

GaEul opened her eyes slowly to find herself lying on a bed in a strange room, with Kang ahjumma sitting at the edge of the bed, smiling at her.

She blinked her eyes a few times before abruptly brought herself up to sit.

 

''Kang ahjumma. Why am I. . . . '' GaEul was still in daze.

''You fell asleep on the couch yesterday. Seems like you were really tired, because you didn't move an inch even when MinSeok carried you here'' she replied.

 

GaEul then remembered that MinSeok left for the kitchen before she gradually lost her consciousness.

 

''MinSeok said to hand this to you.'' she continued while giving a fold of yellow fabric which turns out to be a formal dress to GaEul.

GaEul made a confused look.

''You better get going. You don't want to be late right?'' Kang ahjumma urged. Her eyes signed at the wooden clock hanging on the wall before she made her way out of the room.

 

''Ish. Stupid'' she hissed. She suddenly realized how rude she was for trespassing into someone's house that late at night, even when it was MinSeoks. She was too absorbed in her own joy that she seems to forget about something essential called manner.

 

''Urghh'' she growled while literally dragging herself out of bed towards the bathroom. She took a quick shower and two seconds later she was already done, yesterday's pink dress changed into a bright yellow cotton dress. She then slapped a simple make up on her face using whatever she could find in her handbag before she rushed downstairs, not wanting to be late and be a greater nuisance.

 

''You're done'' MinSeok greeted as soon as he saw GaEul walking down the stairs.

''MinSeok ah. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have came here, I don't know what had gotten into me'' she apologized.

''There's nothing to be sorry about. You're always like that, what. No big deal'' he smiled sarcastically.

''But still, I shouldn't have slept in. Why didn't you wake me up? I haven't told anything yet'' she pouted.

''You can do your storytelling later. Now eat first'' he signed at the dining table which was weighted down with lots of delicacies.

''You're going to eat all these?''

''No. You are going to eat it all''

'Are you trying to kill me or what? This early in the morning?'' GaEul smiled before she bowed to Kang ahjumma and joined them at the table. They ate almost silently as the effect of wanting to be fast.

 

''I'm going to take my bag at home, want to tag along?'' she asked MinSeok who was in the midst of letting the car engine to heat up.

He nodded without answering and walked his way out trough the metal gate casually to catch up with GaEul.

 

''Where did you get this dress from?'' she asked the moment her eyes caught his glimpse beside her.

''It is my sisters''

''Ah. . . by the way, wasn't she supposed to come back for summer break last time?'' GaEul s her arm around his to shrug off the morning coldness.

''She didn't want to, saying that this place was too miserably terrifying'' he stares at the tar road beneath him.

''Oh, I, I'm sorry'' GaEul retreated awkwardly when she remembered why his sister left for the States at the first place.

''Don't be'' he answered quietly.

 

''Yah. About yesterday.'' GaEul opened to start her story telling but was put in halt when MinSeok suddenly stopped. They have already reached GaEul's house, which was just five houses away from MinSeoks.

 

GaEul gasped at the view of So YiJeong, leaning against his orange Lotus parked right in front of her house.

 

''YiJeong- sunbae''

 

''GaEul-yang'' So Yi Jeong flashed his sweetest smile