Chapter 7

Getting There

 

            It was already bright outside when Yuri woke up. She got up from bed and started towards the kitchen, the smell of bacon, eggs and coffee luring her in. Taeyeon was already up and making breakfast.

            Kim Taeyeon has always been the “mother” of the house which made this a normal occurrence. Because Taeng was the oldest among the girls, she always took upon herself to take care of her best friends, which she treated almost as sisters. But what surprised Yuri was not the sight Taeyeon at the kitchen counter, but the presence of her other roommate sitting next to her.

            “Jessica? What are you doing awake? It’s only 7 in the morning!” Yuri said.

            “Taeyeon woke me up and told me that you were in a bit of trouble with the whole Taecyeon assignment. How can you not tell me this last night?” Jessica replied, a hint of disappointment in her voice.

            “I came home late last night and I really didn’t want to disturb you. We all know that it’s a bit of a challenge trying to wake you up.”

            “A bit of a challenge? It’s almost impossible, that’s what it is!” Taeyeon butted in “It took me forever trying to get her up this morning. She only came round when I told her that you had some really juicy news from last night.”

            “Which brings us back to the matter at hand,” Jessica said. “What happened to you? And don’t spare me any details.”

            Yuri narrated everything that happened to Jessica, who was listening closely. At the end of the story, however, she had a different reaction to what Yuri was expecting.

            “This sounds great, Yuri! I don’t see why you’re so upset about this…”

            Yuri was staring at Jessica. “Great? There’s nothing great about my situation! Can you please tell me one thing that is positive from everything that’s happened?”

             “Well, do you remember why you came and started working for Taecyeon in the first place? It’s because you wanted to write an investigative piece, right? Being his ‘girlfriend’ will give you more opportunities to make your story better. You can work more closely and find out more things about him. Maybe even get to the bottom of the whole Yoona-Taecyeon love story.”

            “Sica’s got a point you know. This can make your story great, like a behind-the-scenes thing. Your readers will get to know the real man behind Ok Taecyeon, from the perspective of someone who’s actually part of his personal life.” Taeyeon said.

            Yuri was thinking about what her best friends said. She hated to admit that there might actually be something good in her existing condition, but the pair of them had a point. She needed to talk to Sooyoung though, to make sure that whatever she decided on was the right choice.

            At that moment, the doorbell rang. Yuri stood up to get the door and found a chubby-cheeked man standing outside.

            “Hey Wooyoung! Come on right in; Taeyeon’s in the kitchen making breakfast. Why don’t you join us for a bit?”

            Jang Wooyoung has been one of the girls’ oldest friends. The four of them grew up together and even went to the same elementary and high school. Despite being the same age as them, he always acted like an oppa, making sure that all of them didn’t get into any trouble. To put it simply, he was the male version of Taeyeon.

            Because of this, it came as no surprise to Yuri and Jessica when Wooyoung and Taeyeon announced last year that the two of them were going out. In fact, the two girls were questioning the couple what took them so long. It was obvious that the two of them had a thing for each other, even when they were kids. Although it is true that the couple wasn’t perfect (they’re always bickering at each other because both acted like ajuhmmas at times) but somehow, they worked well together and made each other happy.

            “Good morning girls!” Wooyoung said brightly as he entered the kitchen. He walked over to where Taeyeon was standing next to the sink and gave her a light peck on the lips.

            “Ew guys, it’s too early in the morning for PDA.” Jessica commented.

            “Come on Sica, it’s only a small kiss. And besides, the two of us barely show any form of affection in front of you guys.” Taeyeon said, her arm already around Wooyoung’s waist.

            “That’s true. I’ve never seen the two of them do anything more than a few kisses at most. And besides, it won’t matter if they kiss in front of us. It’s natural for couples to do that.” Yuri added.

            “Yuri! You’re supposed to be on my side! We singles have to stick together!” Jessica said.

            Yuri let out a small laugh. “I think you’re being like this because you’re a bit of a man-hater, Sica. Unlike you, seeing couples act sweet don’t bother me and I actually won’t mind if I had a boyfriend.”

            “I’m not a man-hater! It’s just that all the single men I’ve met are lazy, incompetent and still rely on their parents for money. There’s nothing wrong with having a couple of preferences when it comes to finding boyfriends. And you’re not really one to talk Yuri! You’re just as boyfriend-less as me!”

            “It’s not that I don’t want a boyfriend, it’s just that I have better things to do right now. Romance can wait, right?”

            “I don’t think you’re going to have to wait much longer though, Yuri” Taeyeon said “Seeing as you’re about to be Ok Taecyeon’s girlfriend soon.”

            “What?!” Wooyoung exclaimed “Yuri, you can’t have a relationship with Taecyeon when you’re spying on him for a cover story! That’s just…wrong!”

            Jessica chuckled and explained the whole situation to Wooyoung.

            “Wow,” he said. “That’s pretty complicated. What are you planning to do now, Yuri?”

            “I think I need to go and talk to Sooyoung first, and then I’ll make my move.” Yuri said.

 

Author's Notes:

Here's another update guys! Sorry if this is a bit late...to tell you honestly, a new term just started for me, and my professors are being relentless and giving me tons of work (even if it just the first week). But you guys don't have to worry much about that. I write my chapters in  advance (so that i can edit them) and I just need the time to post them. :D

Anyway, I REALLY loved writing this chapter! Mainly because of the addition of 2 new characters, Jessica and Wooyoung! I kinda figured that the story, so far, has been pretty heavy and that it would be nice to see a lighter side of things. Also i really wanted to have a peek at Yuri's life outside her assignment.

And let me tell you, I was dying to put a Wootae scene there! I love Wooyoung and Taeyeon together (as you can probably notice). For those who are as big of a Wootae fan as me, I'm going to publish a fic (probably a one-shot collection) about them in the next week, so look out for that :D

As usual, comments are really appreciated! I hope you guys enjoyed the chapter, and please continue on supporting the fic :D

P.S. Comment Replies below :D