Chapter 19

Players of Deception

By the next morning Charmaine was feeling a whole lot better. She had an uninterrupted restful night and that might have done the trick. Not once during the night did she have any head pains. Perhaps it was lack of sleep that was behind her headaches. Pleased with her own analysis, she swung her feet off the bed just as there was a knock on the door. She opened the door and was surprised to see Raymond. Bewildered she asked, “What are you doing here?”

Walking in past her stunned face, Raymond said, “I told you last night that I was coming over with breakfast this morning.”

“I thought you were joking,” Charmaine said following him to the small sitting area in the corner of the room.

Raymond placed the delicious smelling bag onto the coffee table and said, “I don’t joke with my patients.” He was about to take the food out but stopped to give her a long look and asked, “How are you feeling?”

“Good. A good night’s sleep was all I needed,” said Charmaine.

Raymond continued to search her face and saw signs of lingering fatigue on her that made him question whether she was telling the truth or not. “I’m still going to take you to the doctor after work.”

“It’s not necessary,” Charmaine quickly said. “I’m fine. Really.”

Raymond didn’t say a word at first as he continued to study her. She looked extremely tired and pale in contrast to the bright vibrant person he met only a few weeks ago. “I’m still taking you,” he said firmly.

Charmaine saw the stubborn set of his jaw and although she did not like his authoritative tone, she was however warmed by his care and thoughtfulness. “Fine,” she said then with a smile sat down and he did the same. “What did you bring for me to eat?”

Taking platters after platters out of the brown paper bag, Raymond said, “About everything.”

To Charmaine’s delight there was enough food to feed an army in that bag. She scanned the food laid out before her and laughed at the platters of bacon, ham, sausage and eggs to the pints of congee and oatmeal. When Raymond continued taking out more food from the bag she stared at him with amazement. “Sandwiches too? How can I finish all this?”

Raymond laughed as he took out the last two items from the bag, hot steaming cups of coffee. “I wasn’t expecting you to finish everything. Just eat what you want.”

Puzzled, she asked, “Then why did you buy all this food? It’ll all go to waste.”

Raymond shrugged and confessed, “I didn’t know what you would feel like having this morning so I decided to buy every possible choice there is for breakfast and let you decide.”

Charmaine’s heart fluttered at his answer and she lifted her eyes to him. Raymond met her gaze and at that moment the two knew that their attraction was not one sided. With his heart pummeling madly against his chest, he looked away and softly said, “Let’s eat or we’ll be late for work.”

-----------------------------------------------

“Good morning Daddy,” Myolie called down from the stairs.

Mr. Sheh looked up from his newspaper, “You’re in a good mood this morning,” he commented taking in her wide smile.

Walking up to her father, Myolie leaned down and gave him a kiss on the cheek. “I am.” Ho Ma walked out from the kitchen with a tray of food and set it down on the adjoining dining table. “Miss Myolie, your breakfast.”

“Thanks Ho Ma,” Myolie said then giggled as she took her place at the table.

Mr. Sheh and Ho Ma exchanged looks, both wondering what was going on with Myolie. Putting down his newspaper, Mr. Sheh asked, “Did something special happen last night?”

Puzzled by the question, Myolie said, “No, why do you ask?”

“You’re awfully cheery this morning,” Mr. Sheh said with a chuckle, “And I would like to know what caused my precious daughter to act this way.”

Myolie picked up her cup of coffee and took a sip before answering shyly, “Raymond is taking me out to dinner tonight.”

With a knowing look, Mr. Sheh laughed, “I knew it had something to do with him.” Seeing the rosy blush of his daughter, he said, “Ray is a great guy and nothing but the best for you.”

Myolie took his hand and squeezed it, “Thanks Daddy.”

After a moment, Mr. Sheh’s expression turned grave and he asked, “Have you met your sister yet?”

“Yes,” Myolie answered reluctantly.

“How is she?” Mr. Sheh asked eager to know what his oldest daughter was like.

Myolie shrugged then said, “I didn’t really talk to her but she seems kind of arrogant to me.”

Mr. Sheh took in that piece of information, then said, “Is there any way you can get her out to see me?”

“Daddy, let’s give her some more time before we seek her out again,” Myolie said softly. But deep down she didn’t want to have anything to do with her estranged sister.