Chapter 18

Players of Deception

It was already nine o’clock and Raymond glanced at the file before him. He was tired. His eyes were beginning to droop and he could hear his own stomach rumble with hunger. He would be here for at least another hour so might as well grab a candy bar from a vending machine to ease some of his hunger until he could have an actual meal. Halfway down the hall he remembered that the vending machine on his floor was broken which meant he would now have to go to another floor if he wanted some relief for his growling stomach. He didn’t know why but instead of going down a floor he went up instead. When he arrived at the pantry he saw that Charmaine’s office light was still on. Strange, he thought. In the eerie silence he heard the rustling of paper. He made his way slowly over and stopped just outside her door. He was about to make his presence known when he saw her head drop to the desk. Rushing to her side, he shook her gently and asked, “Are you alright?”

Charmaine lifted her head slightly and through the blur she was still able to make out his face. “I-I think so.” She rubbed at her forehead and in a barely audible voice said, “My head hurts.”

Raymond looked at her pale face and brought his hand up to her forehead. It was burning hot. “You have a fever.”

Charmaine smiled weakly and kidded, “Is that all? I guess that explains my constant headaches.”

With his arm still around her shoulders he eased her back to lean against her chair. “You’ve been having headaches?”

“Yes,” she whispered when another flash of pain seared through her head. Grimacing she said, “It’s probably from stress.”

“Since when have you added neurology to your long list of accomplishments?” Raymond said in a serious tone. When her eyes snapped open at his retort he said, “I’m taking you to the hospital right now to have you examined.”

Charmaine held up her hands in protest, “No. I’ll be fine. I have a lot of work to do.”

Raymond pulled her up from her chair and with a steady grip on her arm proceeded to usher her out. “Since you won’t go to the hospital then I’m taking you back to your hotel to rest.”

Charmaine looked at him and saw the concern on his face. Before she could utter a word, a wave of dizziness passed through her and she grabbed onto him for balance. Knowing he was right, she said meekly, “A night of sleep is what I need.”

Back at the hotel Charmaine insisted on doing everything herself from opening the door to putting away her jacket. Raymond watched as she staggered towards the bed. When he bent to lift the covers back for her she brushed his hands away. “I can manage.”

Raymond didn’t think so when he saw her sway a little. “Will you just let someone take care of you for once?” Raymond half shouted it out causing Charmaine to cease her movements to stare at him in awe. Gentling his voice, he said, “I know you have been taking care of yourself for a long time and is capable of doing it. But you’re not feeling well now and would it kill you to let someone take care of you every now and then?”

Charmaine stared at him not knowing how to respond to his outburst. Never had anyone spoken to her in that tone and yet she was touched by his concern. Sitting down on the bed, she said lightly, “I’m not an easy person to please.”

Raymond smiled and said, “I know that already.” When he saw her eyes flare up with anger, he quickly said, “Lie down and rest. I’ll get you some pain killer.”

Charmaine did as told and pulled the blanket up to her chin. Her head throbbed and it took great effort to keep her eyelids up. She heard shuffling of feet and opened her eyes to see Raymond return with a glass of water and a box of pills.

Raymond sat down beside her and slid an arm behind her back helping her into a sitting position. “Take these.”

She took the little red capsules from his palm and chugged it down with the glass of water he held out to her. “Where’s my lollipop?”

Raymond, who was about to get up, stopped and turned to look at her. “What? You want a lollipop?”

Charmaine wasn’t aware that she said that out loud. She shook her head to shrug it off and somberly said, “When I was little and got sick, my mom would always give me a lollipop each time after I take my medicine. Sort of like a little prize for being a good girl.”

“I call it bribery,” Raymond said with a twinkle in his eyes.

Charmaine lifted her eyes to his and suppressed back a giggle, “It was but I like to think of it as a prize.” Looking away she sadly said, “I miss her so much.”

Raymond didn’t know how to respond to that. He was bad at comforting people so instead he said, “I’ll let you get some rest now. Can I get you something to eat before I go?”

Charmaine had already fallen back down on the bed. Closing her eyes, she said, “No, I don’t have much of an appetite.”

“I’ll come by tomorrow morning with breakfast to see how you’re feeling,” Raymond said with authority. When Charmaine opened to argue, he added, “Are you going to argue with me again?” Although he said it gruffly, Charmaine saw the hint of humor in his eyes.

Smiling, despite her pounding heachache, Charmaine whispered, “I wouldn’t dare.”

Raymond smiled at her answer then closed the lamp on the bedside table. “Goodnight,” he said softly at the door then quietly left.