Chapter 7

Players of Deception

Charmaine sat next to Tavia on the couch as they went over the reports that were given to them by Uncle Lau. Dividing the stack into two piles they began briefing through the individual reports. The meeting was tomorrow and Charmaine wanted to be well prepared. She didn’t want to show up and not know anything about what each department did for L&T. In order to take control smoothly she can’t afford to make any mistakes.

“Listen to this Charm,” Tavia said as she began reading off from the report in her hands. “The head of Planning and Finances estimates that within five years L&T would bring in a profit which will exceed 100% of its current value. In order for that goal to be realized, he made some pretty outrageous proposals but yet after reading what they are, I think he’s on to something. The guy definitely knows what he’s talking about.”

Only mildly interested, Charmaine murmured, “What’s his name?”

Tavia flipped to the first page of the report, “Raymond Lam.” She then slid over and nudged Charmaine, “What do you think?”

With her eyes still on the report she was reading, Charmaine asked, “About what?”

“Charmaine, since you weren’t able to find any one intelligent enough for you to be interested in back in London, this guy sounds like your dream come true,” Tavia said zealously.

Charmaine finally lifted her head and looked at Tavia as if a mother would to her whining child, “Tavia, we have work to do. I asked you to read these reports to prepare ourselves for our meeting, not to screen for possible boyfriends.”

With persistence, Tavia stuck the report in front of Charmaine’s face, “Read this.”

Charmaine knew that if she didn’t do it Tavia would nag about it all night and she didn’t have the time for that. “Oh alright,” she grumbled taking the report. As she read the report page after page, her admiration for the man behind it was clear on her face.

When she was finished, Tavia asked, “Well?”

“You’re right about one thing. He does have a good head on his shoulders. His ideas are brilliant. Most of them are risky and yet the risks behind them are nothing that can’t be avoided if followed closely,” Charmaine said giving the report back to Tavia. “Let’s continue with the others.”

Tavia stood up and rested her hands on her hips, “That’s it? Aren’t you curious to see how he looks like?”

Charmaine gave Tavia a humorous smile and said, “We’ll be meeting with him tomorrow.”

“Well I can’t wait,” Tavia said over her shoulder as she walked over to the desk where the laptop was set up. With some soft typing and a few clicks, Tavia was on L&T’s company’s website. She went to the personnel tab and quickly scrolled for bios of L&T’s executives. She found his name and waited for his bio to appear on the screen. When it was up, she frowned, “The guy doesn’t even have a picture.” She clicked on several other names and noted that none of them did. “When we take over, I’m going to make sure everyone’s picture is up on their bio. It’s called professionalism.”

Charmaine laughed, “Would you stop this manhunt and get back to work?”

Sighing, Tavia turned off the computer and said, “It’s just as well. Someone that smart must have years of experience in finance to back him up so that probably makes him in his mid 50s, married and with a dozen kids.” With a coy grin on her face, Tavia added, “I bet he’s bald and with a beer belly too!”

“Tavia!” Charmaine shrieked, “You still have a lot of reading to do.”

Giving Charmaine a childish pout, Tavia sat back down on the couch folding her legs beneath her. She picked up the next report from her pile and again, her eyes took on a gleam of interest. After reading the first two pages, she remarked, “Here’s another one. Your father sure knows how to pick them.”

Charmaine lowered the report from her face and teased, “Another possible boyfriend candidate?”

Tavia finished reading the report and said, “This one’s ideas are just as competitive as that Raymond Lam’s.” Scrunching her face she added, “I bet Kevin Cheng is also in his mid-50s, married and with a dozen kids.”

“Bald and fat too,” reminded Charmaine gently with a whimsical smile.

“Yeah,” agreed Tavia as she dropped Kevin’s report on top of Raymond’s and picked up the next one.

----------------------------------------------------

Myolie knocked on her father’s bedroom door before entering. Her father was sitting on an armchair staring out at the balcony. “Daddy, I bought you a cup of tea.”

Mr. Sheh turned his head slightly and smiled, “Thanks honey.”

Myolie saw the sadness in his eyes and kneeled down beside him, “Are you thinking about her again?”

“She’s been back for almost a week and still hasn’t made any efforts to reach out to me,” he said heavily. “Why won’t she forgive me?”

“Daddy,” Myolie said tenderly wrapping her arms around him to cuddle him. “She will. I know it. Maybe that’s why she called the board meeting tomorrow.”

Mr. Sheh sighed knowing that wasn’t true but he also knew that Myolie only wanted to cheer him up. “Maybe. Why aren’t you in bed?”

Myolie stood up, “I was going to but wanted to stop in and check on you.”

“You’re such a good daughter,” Mr. Sheh said proudly.

Myolie beamed at him then bent and gave him a peck on the cheek. “Goodnight Daddy.”