Her not-so- golden cage

Phoenix~

Nia’s POV

 

 

I looked at myself in the mirror and sighed.

 

My eyes are too squishy again.

Woke up at 5.30 AM for one more time… UGH~

 

I made my steps back to the kitchen and looked in my saucepan.

My sweet and sour chicken has just started boiling. I managed to prepare it faster this time. I’m improving.

 

 I sat on a chair and dried my hands with a towel, sighing again.

 

My dad was passing by with his briefcase under his left armpit, heading for the living room, but when he noticed me in the kitchen, he stopped and smiled.

 

«Good morning, my sweet child.» he moved his hand and his eyes became two dark happy lines.

«Good morning, appa!» I waved back, as cheerfully as possible.

«Cooking again?» he frowned.

«Yeah… Yookwonnie has to eat something right?» I grinned.

Appa rolled his eyes.

 

«He’s a grown up man now, that does nothing important in his life. He can learn cooking something by himself!»

«Don’t get mad at him… I like taking care of both of you…»

«We have to discuss this later on, my dear. I can’t stand you waking up so early, even though school starts at 8.30…»

 

No-ho… He’s about to start now.

Have to put an end here.

 

«Sorry, but, what time is it?» I said quickly enough to surprise my father.

He breathed slowly, as if releasing the words he didn’t manage to tell, and looked at his watch.

«It’s 7.30, my dear child.»

«Ah… Nice. I have some time to fix my hair and prepare my bag, before Jieun arrives…» I got up from my chair again.

«You are going to school together, as usually?»

«Yeah, of course.»

 

Jieun is my best friend since primary school.

 

 «Great… But don’t think that our conversation is over like that, little lady. We will talk about this cooking thing sooner or later again.» he pinched my cheek and patted my head, heading for the door. «I might be late, so -please- don’t wait for me awake…» he waved and closed the door behind him.

 

I sighed.

Aish.

 

I checked the boiling saucepan for one more time and hurried upstairs.

Yookwonnie still has his door closed… I won’t bother him until I’m leaving house.

Who knows how late he returned yesterday night…

 

I passed the hall, without looking around, until I reached my door and- pausing for a second- I looked behind me.

Unconsciously, I smiled at my mom’s photo, on the other side of the hall, on a shelf.

«Good morning, mommy.» I whispered and got in my room.

 

 I don’t really remember her, because she died when I was only 4; she had a serious heart disease that wasn’t diagnosed and treated quick enough. Still, I- somehow- miss her. I miss the mom presence.

 

 I threw carefully in my school bag the Physics and the Language books and textbooks and pulled the zipper thoughtfully.

 Dad is whining for no reason. I have got used to taking care of them like the woman of the house. Even though, I have to admit, it’s difficult to handle two men in a single house, especially when the relationship between them isn’t good at all.

  My comb in my hands, I started brushing my hair gently. My grandma is always telling me to use a comb instead of a brush, to take good care of my hair.

 

Losing my mom wasn’t a really terrible strike for me, because (as I already mentioned) I was only 4 years old and I hardly remember anything since then. I guess that it was even worse for my dad and brother, because it was the second time that they were losing something. Yookwon, being only 8 years old then, was losing a second mom. And my dad a second wife.

 My dad was married to another woman, before my mom. They soon had Yookwon, but- when he was 2- they got a divorce and his mom moved to the States; she was and still is an important and successful business woman.

 That abandoned her child and husband though.

That’s after all the reason they broke up with my father; they weren’t a couple anymore, with his and hers long working hours in the business world.

  A year later, after the divorce, my dad met my mom. She was a foreigner, working for a European travel magazine, covering the Korean/ Asian part. They didn’t even realise how quickly they fell in love, dated and married. My dad couldn’t be any happier with a new wife adoring Yookwon also.

According to him and Yookwon, she was the kindest person in the whole world: taking care of the house, still working, going for shopping, having many friends, being a caring wife and a real mom for my half-brother.

One year later I was born and the family was somehow complete. I look at the photos since then and sincerely think that we must have been a really happy family.

 Three years later, though, mom passed out… No one expected it and that’s why it hurt everyone so much. Yookwon lost his beloved mom and dad lost his beloved wife.

As for me… I really think of myself as a complete idiot at those times. But what can I do…? I was only 4.

 

Finishing with my hair, I plaited them in two clumsy braids and looked at myself again closely in the mirror. Good enough. I can’t do anything else on you, miss Nia.

 

Dad claims that he tried to get over mom’s death quickly, but- believe me- he still hasn’t done so. After she died, he became another person from what I see in the photos; he’s really introvert, serious, unexpressed. He stopped meeting with his friends, focused only on his job and started being overprotective with me and my bro.

 He was bringing various nannies to take care of us, but Yookwon as a teenager was really rebellious and couldn’t stand any of them. When I finally reached to junior high school, dad gave up on bringing any new nanny. My brother was in highschool and was quite independent and I was eating and studying at school, so we indeed got rid of those nannies.

  When Yookwon finished school- 4 years ago- it was more difficult for him to eat and keep up with the house chores. So, I soon had to join him with everything. And when he started working at the nearby coffee shop and spending long hours with his fellow gangsters… I simply had to take control of almost everything.

 For dad’s disappointment and anger/ frustration.

But I don’t care… I like taking care of our house and my brother. My dad is always absent so I don’t actually count him in. However tired I may be feeling in the end of every day.

 

 I grabbed my bag and hurried out of the room, heading for Yookwon’s door.

I gently knocked, but -since I received no reply- I opened and got in. Yookwon is sleeping on his bed, facing the ceiling, his hands and legs spread on each side of his mattress, his mouth slightly open.

 Aww, cute~

I left my bag behind me and kneeled next to him. I extended my hand and caressed his head, making him move a little. I insisted, so he finally opened his eyes.

«Ah… little one?» he mumbled.

«Good morning, sleep head…» I smiled. «I’m leaving for school. Please, please, remember to turn off the stove, dear, OK?» I left a kiss on his cheek and he grinned, nodding slowly.

 

 I rushed downstairs and pulled the door behind me. I noticed Jieun waving from afar.

 

I made it just in time, today too =_=

 

--

 

 

The bell rang urgently, waking me up from a weird Physics nirvana. Our teacher closed his books and pointed again on the board.

 

«Don’t forget your homework, kids, alright?» he grinned and we all sighed, whining as discreetly as possible.

 

Jieun, from the desk next to mine, rolled her eyes as she looked at me.

«Mr. Ki is always trying to torture us! Look how many exercises we have to solve again!» she frowned and then pouted.

«Ah, come on, Jieun, it’s not that bad… Last time it was even worse, if you remember.» I moved my finger and pulled the books of English on my desk.

«Hey, yah! It’s the lunch break, silly one!» my best friend shook me for good, grabbing my arms.

 

Aish… Jieun and her… gentle ways.

 

«OK, OK. No reason to be violent…» I lifted my hands and she giggled.

«Let’s go… Quickly! Last time we met Yonghwa, when Mr Cho dismissed us 5 minutes earlier! We might catch him around today, too!» she pulled my hand and I pushed her, blushing intensely.

«JEEZ. Are you going to shout even louder, idiot??» I got up and fixed my skirt nervously.

«OK, OK, mihanhae! But let’s go! Yonghwa or not, we have to eat our lunch in time, right??» she started jumping around again and I rolled my eyes.

«OK, but SHUT UP!» I grabbed my bag and hurried out of class.

 

To be honest, Yonghwa is a big enough motive for me to get out of class faster, lol.

 

He… He’s a classmate of ours. From another class.

Ehm, well… And the guy I like.

For two years now.

But let’s just not talk about it furthermore.

 

Jieun hurried to follow me, grabbing her bag also and we both found ourselves in the crowded halls. Today, it’s less than previous week, though. Some people got sick with the flu, as this September became suddenly rainy and sticky. Ideal weather for bacteria to grow.

 

«Did you wake up early again?» she asked me.

«Yeap. As always.»

«And what’s on today’s menu?»

«Sweet and sour chicken.»

«Wow, difficult… Do you think you made it right?»

«Let’s keep our fingers crossed.» I smiled and she joined me.

«Yookwon?»

«Aish… He was sleeping like a log again. I don’t know how late he came back yesterday night… Dad got mad at him again. But anyways. He is working today at the coffee shop, 11 to 15.»

«One day we should go there when he’s working.» Jieun smirked and I sighed.

«Not so sure about that, but we will see…»

 

Automatically, I looked at the hall on my left; this is where the music practice rooms are. And this is where Yonghwa and his bandmates will probably be hanging out.

 They have a band, rock band. CNBlue. I’m a big fan of theirs~ :3

 

I was about to turn my head to Jieun, who was on my right, but for some unknown reason, I heard her voice from behind.

 

«Yah, be careful Nia!!»

 

Na-ha. Too late.

I bumped on an immediately familiar chest.

 

I looked up and saw the one that I was sure he was somewhere else, just a second ago.

 

«Yong… Yonghwa- sshi… I’m so… I’m so sorry!» I immediately bowed, feeling my cheeks burning like fire.

 

 He smiled, this misaligned tooth of his appearing cutely.

 

«Oh, it’s OK. I wasn’t looking to the front either.»

 

I remained looking at him like an idiot and then realised that their drummer, Kang Minhyuk, was also there and was staring at me, so I immediately bowed again.

 

«I’m sorry again for my clumsiness.»

«No worries, really. It’s always interesting to meet people, even in these crazy ways. So, nice to meet you…?» he half- closed his eyes.

 

AH, HE’S SO CUTE! *_*

And he’s talking to me! OMG!

 

«Yah, he’s asking for your name!» Jieun whispered and nudged me from behind.

 

«Nia! It’s Kim Nia!» I yelled, as if my whole existence depended on it.

Yonghwa laughed kindly.

How ridiculed can I get?? ToT

 

«Cool. See you around, Nia.» he winked and moved on with Minhyuk.

 

Oh my.

My heart is about to stop.

Yonghwa knows my name…

HE KNOWS MY NAME!!!

 

«Hey, are you alive?» my friend tapped my shoulder and I nodded quickly, holding the place of my heart.

«I think I am.»

«Good, so we can scream freely, huh?» she beamed and was about to start the screaming, but I managed to cup abruptly.

«Sssh! Are you crazy? Not here and definitely not now!» I murmured intensely, looking around if anyone has noticed us.

 

I pulled her hand and we soon found ourselves in the cafeteria. I grabbed a sandwich and an orange juice with shaky hands, not paying attention to Jieun anymore and hurried to sit at our usual table.

 I huffed, trying to catch my breath. That was too sudden and too intense to handle it calmly.

Another friend since primary school, Hyunjoon, passed by along with his girlfriend and waved at me. I waved back, without much liveliness.

 

«Everything cool?» he moved his lips without any sound coming out and I simply nodded.

 

No one knows about my Yonghwa feels anyways, except Jieun. And it has to remain like this.

 

«Did you get the chicken sandwich, too?» Jieun asked me, comforting herself on the other side of the table.

«Yeah, yeah…» I played with my juice’s straw.

«He looks cute in this dark green sweater…» she giggled, as she immediately caught my attention.

«Aw… I know. He looks cute with everything…» I whispered, feeling my heartbeat starting his crazy race again.

«We’ve achieved something today! He knows your name!»

«Naah… I’m sure he forgot it after one minute or so…» I pouted.

«Don’t be so sure! He was so friendly!» Jieun exclaimed, eating a satisfying bite of her sandwich.

«That means nothing. He is always kind, from what I have realised…» I bit my nail.

«Anyways… We can test that soon…» she smirked. «Maybe if we aim at meeting him again… And another similar accident happens…»

 

I rolled my eyes.

 

«Yeah and then he will think I’m stupid. What a great idea!»

«Ugh, ok, ok! We will see! Let’s change topic! What is it tomorrow?»

«Mwo?» I said, completely unexcited.

«It’s Saturday, my sweet pabo! Shall we go to a club to party?» she clapped her hands.

«What? No! You know I don’t like this stuff!» I whined.

«But c’mon, we’re in the last class of school now! We can go to some of these places!»

«Aish, no!»

«Ugh, come on! Don’t be a nerd!» she started whining, too.

«First, I don’t like going to such places and second, my dad and Yookwon would never allow me to go to such places!»

«But if it is for my birthdayyy? In two weeks??» she pouted.

«AH, I don’t know! We will see until then!» I massaged my temples, closing my eyes.

«Yaaay!» she cheered.

 

That’s the problem when your friend is completely different from you, but you are still having too much fun with them to let them go. =_=

 

«Hi, girls! May I join you?»

 

I looked at the tall figure that just shadowed our table and faced Sungjae.

He’s a new fellow student. Came here a few weeks ago, when the school started.

He’s funny. And a little weird.

He’s talking a lot with me and Jieun, though.

 

«Sure.» I smiled at him and he sat next to Jieun.

«What’s up, Sungjae- sshi?» Jieun grinned.

«Cool. Everything’s fine around here.»

«Is it better than your previous school?» I asked him.

«Better? FAR better! Anything would be better from my previous school…» he said thoughtfully and bit his pizza.

«Oh, how’s that?» Jieun frowned.

«Long story. But, we probably have better stuff to talk about, right?» his turn to grin and he winked to both of us.

 

He isn’t wearing his uniform properly again… The shirt is out of his pants… But other boys do that, too. His tie is also quite loose and a thin chain is hanging from his pants. His hair is messy, obviously on purpose, and… I think he’s wearing eyeliner?

 

I don’t know. I told you he’s weird.

He reminds me a little of my brother and his friends.

Maybe he’s…? No. I tend to see people like gangsters all the time… It’s Yookwon to blame…

 

«So, did you join any clubs?» I asked him, interrupting his words with Jieun.

«Ah… Yeah. Basketball club. I hope they will accept me.» he laughed kindly and ate another bite from his pizza.

 

Gangster? Come to your senses, girl.

 

 

--

 

 

«I’m home!» I yelled, but received no reply.

 

I hurried to the kitchen, to check if my chicken is still alive and eatable, but found nothing but the empty saucepan and a bunch of dishes.

 

Ah, ah… I have to clean up everything, before starting studying.

 

What a mess is this Kim Yookwon?

 

I left my bag and hurried upstairs to change in my casual clothes. Loud music can be heard from the garage.

They’re practcing again… Jeez.

 

 

I returned to my dishes and finished them faster than I had estimated. Now, the saucepan. Come here, you dirty thing.

 

The music stopped a while ago, and a bunch of steps was heard approaching the kitchen.

 

The babies ran out of energy and want water. Boo- hoo.

 

The horde of Block B entered my kitchen and a too cheerful greeting was heard, towards me.

«Nia!», «Dongsaengie!», «Little one!» and blah blah.

 

This is my brother’s gang and childhood friends.

This is Block B.

 

«HI TO ALL OF YOU!» I managed to be heard over their voices and they all laughed. «How was the food?»

«Perfect!» Kyung rubbed his belly.

«Always so delicious!» Jihoon hugged me from behind, causing me to splash my hands in the hot water that I am using for the dishes.

«Aouch!» I exclaimed and pulled my hands out of it with a grimace of pain.

«OMG, are you OK?» Jihoonie panicked and looked at my hands, Kyung and Jaehyo imitating him.

«What is happening in here?» Yookwon got in the room, along with Zico.

«Nothing…» I murmured and pushed the others away.

«She burnt her hands!» Jihoon pointed and pulled my hands.

«Jeez, how did you manage this?» Zico raised an eyebrow.

«It’s nothing, really.» I hurried to calm him down.

«Go apply some cream.» Yookwon caressed my hair.

«It finished the previous week…»

«Go and buy some then.» Zico pushed Kyung and Jihoon.

«No, I’ll go.» I said and hurried to leave the room, before they managed to protest.

«YAH! Nia! Don’t go alone!» I heard my brother’s voice.

«I’ll be fine!» I yelled and wearing my shoes, I opened the door to get out.

 

 

 

 

Reader’s POV

 

 

Nia got out of the house and almost started running.

 

It was one rare chance for her to have a walk around without anyone else’s presence. She looked behind her but saw no one.

 

Block B can be really lazy and slow some times. So, she used her chance right.

Making her way to the pharmacy, she felt a little light for not having anyone around. Even though she’d be more than happy to have a particular one with her. Yonghwa is always welcomed in her thoughts and fantasies.

Her walking became slower, as she started thinking of this morning’s event with him. Unconsciously, she smiled.

 

Looking at the other side of the street she noticed Jieun with her sister.

«Hey, Jieun!» she yelled, when she felt a hand around her waist and she let out a small scream.

However, the hands that embraced her seemed familiar.

 

«Did I scare you?» Zico’s voice was heard and she turned, angry enough, slapping his arm.

«YES YOU DID!» she breathed heavily.

«Jeez, I’m sorry…» he hugged her.

 

Nia felt a little awkward and soon Zico made a step back, rubbing the back of his neck.

 

«No need to freak out. You know, we’re always around whenever you are likely to have trouble…» he moved his hands too much for saying something that simple.

«I don’t know if this is freakiest or not…» she sighed and then received another hug from behind her.

But this time, she knew it was Jieun.

 

«Oh, hi! Whassup? Are you on a date with Zico oppa?» The lively girl immediately joke, causing Nia to blush intensely.

«YAH, what are you talking about?»

«Just joking!» Jieun moved her hands. «Zico oppa seems cool with it, though.»

 

Zico smirked and moved his shoulders.

 

«Nia tends to take things too seriously.» he said and Nia rolled her eyes.

«Ha- ha. Now, let me go to the pharmacy!»

«What happened?» Jieun asked.

«I burnt my hands a little.»

«OMG!» she held .

 

Zico’s mobile rang and he hurried to answer.

 

«I’m fine, Jieun, don’t wor…» Nia was saying, but Jieun’s violent nudge interrupted her.

«No, Nia! Look! This guy!»

 

She pointed at a guy on the other side of the street. He was walking slowly, with a little boredom. He had a pretty face, but seemed really badass.

 

Nia huffed.

 

«What about him??»

«He’s… Lee Minhyuk… I mean, I’ve heard a friend of his calling him like that, another time I saw him on the street…»

«So?» Nia sighed.

«I think I have a crush on him.» Jieun giggled. 

 

 

 

From misschoi: Hi guys~^^ Late update, but it's right before my ty exams, so I hope you liked! ;) Thank you infinitely for the subscriptions and the views! Your opinion is always welcomed! Just be a little patient for the next time~ :> Take care til then! ^0^<3