The Confusing Phone Call

Forever is a Promise You'll Keep

One week later….

Taeyeon was lying on her bed, thinking about random stuff, when suddenly her phone rang. She grabbed it immediately from her night stand. She looked at the caller ID and saw that it was Wooyoung. “Yeoboseyo?” Taeyeon said quietly.
”Hi Taeyeonie!” Wooyoung replied cheerily on the phone.
“Hi, Wooyoung-ah. What are you doing calling me at this time? And how can you be so cheery?!” she asked incredulously.
“Ae? Mianhe, Taeyeonie. Did I wake you up?” he asked guiltily.
“Aniyo. I was still awake.” “Oh. Well, I’m sorry for disturbing you.”
“It’s okay, Wooyoungie. What are you doing calling me at this time of the night?”
“Oh. Well, you see. I couldn’t sleep. So I decided to chat with someone.”
“And you thought that someone was me?”
“Well, of course! You’re my best friend TaeTae.” “Best friend? Really? Are you sure about that?” Taeyeon replied teasingly.
“Of course I’m sure! Don’t you ever doubt the fact that you’re my best friend, dork.” Wooyoung said seriously.
“Sure, sure.”
“So, anyway. What exactly were you doing before I called you?” he asked curiously.
“I was just thinking about things.” Taeyeon replied nonchalantly.
“What kind of things?”
“Random things.”
“Like what, exactly?”
“Like your parents’ anniversary celebration that just happened a week ago.”
“Oh,”
“What about you, Mandu? What were you doing before you decided to call me?”
“Nothing.”
“Really? Nothing?”
“Yes, nothing,” Wooyoung replied. “Then I decided to call you.”
“Yeah? Why exactly did you call me again?”
“To talk.”
“Talk about what?”
“Stuff.”
“Wooyoung, there’s a ton of stuff we can talk about. What kind of stuff?”
“Well, I wanted to talk about the incident during my parents’ anniversary.”
“Listen, Woo. About that, Im really sorry that-“
“Not that incident! The other one.” He cut her off.
There was another incident? How come I don’t remember? Taeyeon thought to herself.
“Yah, Taengoo. Are you still there?”
“Huh? Oh, yeah. I’m still here. What other incident, Wooyoungie?”
“Well, the one where you bumped into Chansung.” "Oh, that. Why do you want to talk about it?”
“I just want to warn you that, well, Chansung is kind of a..” he trailed off.
“Kind of a what, Wooyoung-ah?”
“Uh… He’s kind of a player.”
“Uh, okay. Why did you tell me that?”
“Well, ever since the last week of school, there was a rumor going around that Chansung wanted you.”
“Wanted me?”
“Yes, wanted you.”
“Wanted me to be what?” she asked, confused of what he was talking about.
“He wanted you to be…. Um..”
“Wooyoung-ah, just spit it out!”
“He wanted you in his arm!” Wooyoung blurted out.
“You mean, like a girlfriend?”
“Yes, like a girlfriend.”
“What’s wrong with being his girlfriend? I mean he seems nice. He looks like he’ll comfort me when I’m sad and protect me when there’s danger.”
Thoughts about Taeyeon laying her head on Chansung’s shoulder while she was tired and him putting his arm around his waist rushed into Wooyoung’s head. “No! You cannot be his girlfriend!” he all but growled.
“Gosh, Wooyoungie. Why are you so irritated about that? Are you jealous or something?”
Yes, I’m jealous. I’m jealous that you can’t think of me as more than your best friend when I already have thoughts about us being together. “No, I’m not jealous.” Wooyoung lied. “I just want you to be careful, Taengoo. I don’t want to see your heart broken.” I never want to see it broken. You don’t deserve to have your heart broken. You’re the most selfless and kind person I know.
“I’m not going to get my heart broken, Wooyoungie. I’m not interested in him. So stop fussing about that, okay?” Taeyeon demanded.
“Okay.”
“Hey, Wooyoung-ah. I’m really tired now. Can we please talk about this some other time?” she begged.
“Of course. Good night, TaeTae.”
“Good night, Wooyung-ah.” She yawned.
Wooyoung hung up his phone and put it back on his night stand. He looked at the ceiling for a few minutes, thinking about his and Taeyeon’s phone call before closing his eyes and letting sleep take over him.