REVIEW BY FALLING ARROWS

The Royalties of Kpop

I want to thank Falling Arrows for reviewing my fic 

 

 

Title 5/5
It’s original – I’ve never seen this title before! ‘The Royalties of Kpop’ instantly captured my interest so full points!

 

Poster & Background 5/10
It does give off a nice theme of elegance and royalty but it would’ve been nicer to actually see a face. The red curtain and sparkles don’t really do anything for me as a reviewer and a reader, it’s not particularly interesting nor does it give me any curiosity to check out your story. Your quote is nice and well-suited for your story. The use of blacks and reds is nice though those colours do suit more of a horror-type genre fanfic. Honestly, I liked the purple one better because rich, deep colours like purple and navy blue just scream ‘royalty’ and I think this is what you should’ve gone for instead. But I do like it and it does suit your story, so, points for you.

 

Description & Foreword 5/10 
Your description interested me a lot in fact. Though it was a straight forward and slightly cliché kind of plotline, the way you presented it was quite nice. I’m curious as to how these ‘enemies’ will struggle and out throne SM Entertainment, so good work with the description. The little band ‘introduction’ is nice as well, seeing as I didn’t even know who half of them were.
Your foreword however, is disappointing. It’s not a foreword! A foreword should be a long paragraph or two or just a really good scene that will capture the biggest elements of your fanfic and to create suspense and curiosity in your readers so that they will actually read your fanfic. You have not done this at all! It’s just graphic credits - please work on this.

 

Characters 7/10 
Why hello there, SM. We meet again. As you can probably already tell, SM Entertainment-based fanfics are all over the place but I’m glad you chose other, lesser known entertainments like Pledis and Starship as your other characters instead of the more obvious choices like JYP, Cube and YG. I also liked how you’ve included the bosses and CEOs of the entertainments a lot in this, since I have absolutely no idea who they are and what exactly they do, so it was interesting to see them. I have also never come across fanfics that really include the more higher-up officials of these entertainments so points for you! What took down your mark was the main characters being SNSD, TVXQ, Super Junior etc. SM Entertainment in general and that’s the exact opposite of original.

 

Plot 6.5/10 
It’s alright. It’s very plain though and not exactly too interesting to read, but I think that’s more to do with my tastes and preferences. Your plotline is quite simple, which made it easier to read, but also lacked flavour you could say. It wasn’t sweet, bitter, sour, tangy, fiery etc. It was just a bit too ‘normal’ for me but your plotline was okay to read.

 

Originality 6/10
It’s a little cliché, with the whole ‘overthrow-SM’ main plotline and all, but it does have its own thing and other, more original characters from the lesser-known entertainments.

 

Flow 2/5 
It’s stocky and clumsy, but it does have its brighter moments. Your fanfic isn’t really in a typical set out and looks more like a script more than anything so that heavily affected your flow, since all it is really, is just dialogue and actions. It’s different

 

Grammar/Punctuation/Spelling/Vocabulary 20/30
Honestly, what you have written is actually not a fanfic; it’s a script. You have your characters, their dialogue with no use of speech marks and actions signaled with the use of an asterix. You have your setting displayed at the beginning with “~~________~~” and changes with the same layout whenever the scene changes. Also, the vocabulary you have used is quite simple, since it’s mainly dialogue, the occasional action of your characters and performance timetables, so I didn’t really have that much to mark on, though the simple language has taken down your points. Readers want something new, something exciting and the use of words can greatly affect the effect that people can have on your story. I’m not telling you that you should change the way you right, just maybe add a little bit more detail on what your characters are saying and how they say them, what actions they do afterwards etc.

You also have a large amount of spelling and grammatical errors which I think are easily spotted if you read over your work. I’m not your dictionary, so I’m not going to through every little mistake though I will point out the larger issues (to find your mistakes, just press ‘Ctrl’ + ‘f’ and copy and paste your text to find it in your story).

Instead of: But after all the smaller labels have watched all that sucess, they couldn't hold their jealousy, so now, their gonna use and copy their strategies to expand.

It should be: But after all the smaller labels watched their success, they couldn't hold their jealousy. Now, they’re going to use and copy their strategies to expand.

Many of your sentences are long and a bit too wordy, so you should break them up every now and then unless they flow perfectly. You also have a habit of not using ‘shortcuts’ (i.e. we are = we’re, they are = they’re etc.) and that’s what makes your sentences stocky and flow irregularly. You might want to try and experiment with how you write to get the best out of your skills.



Overall Enjoyment 6/10
It wasn’t the type of fanfic I’d normally read through but I did like it. You had nice little twists and unsolved mysteries here and there which intrigued me. I hope you continue to write and good luck! C:

~

 

Mark: 62.5/100%

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know that it's quite low but it makes me want to work harder to make this fic a better one everyday ^^