Chapter 4

Tomboys Don't Cry

Late one afternoon, Chiao was playing video games on the living room couch. It appeared her sense of humour had returned and her preoccupation with the L-Word (Louise) had diminished notably. However, things were a tad strained with Chiao's roommate and she wasn't sure why. She was definitely surprised when Milk materialized on the couch next to her. Chiao paused her game to say hello. Milk said "When you're finished killing zombies, let me know". Chiao went back to the game, only to lose moments later.

A momentary awkward silence was broken by Milk announcing "You're dead!"

Chiao stared blankly at her roomie. Lately, comedic timing was not Milk's strong suit. "Um, sorry", she mumbled.

After a few more seconds of silence, both girls attempted to speak at once. They both paused. Milk said "You first". Chiao waved her hand and shook her blonde head. "No, you go!" she half-smiled as a fringe of her bangs fell over one eye.

Milk stammered at first but eventually expressed that she was sorry if she'd been a drag lately. Chiao didn't understand why, but said "It's okay". After another short silence, Milk asked, "Well, what were you YOU about to say?" Chiao tilted her head and said "Oh. Just that I miss you".

This made Milk smile. Chiao found it funny and prodded "What - ?" Milk's smirk turned into a quasi-giggle, and she said "Nothing". Chiao poked the bigger girl in the rib and repeated "WHaaaaat?"

Milk also repeated "NOTHING!" as her giggle became a full laugh. She covered and found Chiao was looking at her with a goofy smile. Milk looked back at her and the two just sat, this time relishing the silence. Without releasing their eye contact, Milk reached out her hand to push the stray piece of hair out of Chiao's face. When Chiao didn't flinch, Milk muttered, little more than a choked whisper, "You're so pretty,"  and instantly felt her cheeks grow hot.

As it was barely audible, Chiao questioned what she'd heard or not heard. She stood up and walked toward the kitchen. She called over her shoulder, "Do you want a tea?"

Immediately Milk wished she could unsay what she'd said. It was a ridiculous slip. Swallowing hard, she called back, "Tea would be nice", and gripped her head with both hands and sat staring down at the floor.