Chapter 1

Tomboys Don't Cry

Two days had passed. Milk felt selfish for thinking of her own pain while her closest friend in the world was going through such a rough time. But sometimes the worst heartache is the kind that can never be mentioned. So instead, Milk continued to be the supportive friend Chiao needed. The same way she'd always been every single time Chiao got hurt by her conniving girlfriend Louise. So many times, she wished she could just say, "Chiao. You don't need her! You have me!"

She neither had the guts, nor did she wish to break up a relationship Chiao was (seemingly) happy in. She kept reminding herself that as her friend, she should content herself in providing the best support system she knew how, in case her friend ever needed to lean on her. So if she was doing the right thing, then why did her heart hurt? Why did she have to keep fighting the urge to toss Louise in a dumpster, and then grab Chiao and never let her go?

Milk was strong-willed but sometimes felt like risking it all. Just for a chance to tell her friend she was crazy about her. Just to tell her, so she would know. Even if Chiao would never in a million years accept her as anything more than a best friend.

So on she soldiered, keeping her smile, and keeping her arms strong to hold up her friend when Chiao was too weak to continue on her own. Today she would need to use some of that strength in case her roommate had trouble getting through the long work day they had ahead of them.

* * * *  *

Today the MissTer girls were shooting their latest MV. Everyone's makeup and wardrobe was ready; hairdos were almost done.

Chris and Carol were laughing and talking loudly in one corner of the room while Jin was drinking a tea and chatting with Milk and Chiao. Chiao was quite the actress, as nobody had yet guessed that she wasn't really in the mood to be here today. She had on her brave face and made small talk with her friends as if her mind wasn't on other things.

* * * *  *

As the day progressed, the girls got tired and took turns having breaks. Currently Jin and Carol were resting, while one of Milk's scenes were being shot. Chiao and Chris watched and tried not to tease their friend, since they found it funny that she was playing the main character in this MV.
"Oh, Milk our big star - the fangirls will love you even more now!" Chris cooed.
"Shǎguā!" (meaning, dumb-, lol) Milk laughed.

As cameras rolled, the co-star skipped around the room trying to make moody Milk smile. Instead the tall MissTer member frowned and looked distant. She sat on the set couch and tried to look annoyed while this silly girly-girl made faces at her, when actually she was too pretty to be annoying. Milk mentally coached herself to keep a straight face since cameras were still rolling and nobody had yelled "Cut!" yet.

As the bouncy co-star left the set, Milk was directed to a large wooden frame where studio flood lights gave the impression of daylight coming through a real window. As instructed, Milk continued to frown and pout, and all around act moody. The MV treatment called for this, and she liked practicing her acting skills. Yet someone was ruining her concentration.

"Chris! would you STOPPPPP?" she rolled her eyes.

Chris was giggling, not really able to stifle her glee at flinging silly comments at her friend. One of the set assistants shot both girls a look, which refocused attention on shooting what would hopefully be a great MV.

As Milk continued to act miserable, Chiao was getting prepped for her solo scene. Everyone had already read the script. The storyline was built vaguely around the co-star seeking distraction after breaking up with a boyfriend. Milk's character was upset because she wished SHE could be her co-star's boyfriend. As Chiao propped her violin under her chin, she looked out the fake window and realized Milk's leading lady in the MV was going through something similar to what she was facing. She tried to concentrate on looking dreamy (for the fans who'd watch the finished product) to avoid feeling sad about Louise.

Chiao watched Milk complete her final solo scene, for which assistants had doused her black hair with water. The script called for Drippy Milk to take a contemplative moment out in the rain (recreated in studio, of course) while her co-star (who had returned to the set after a makeup touch-up) moped on the flip side of the fake window. Breakups .

Both actresses came across quite sad, and Chris no longer had anything to tease about, because she got drawn into the drama of this token tear-jerker scene. Cameras rolled again and the director coached the co-stars into action. The MV's treatment asked that the main character scream into the rain, letting out all her frustrations about this girl who was herself, heartbroken over some dumb boy.

Milk made a false start - twice - and burst out laughing as she tried to scream convincingly. Eventually though, she nailed the scene, causing Chris to wince and Chiao to put down her violin. On the dry side of the window, the feminine co-star sat in tears, shaking. Suddenly Chiao felt very heart-sick and made a run for the exit. At that very moment, Carol and Jin were returning from their break.  In seconds, Chiao's bandmates were all a-buzz with curiosity and worry. Milk caught sight of a swoosh of blonde hair rushing off set and was reminded of the other night back at the apartment. Her heart sank. She pushed through her bandmates, the director, the set assistants stating "I know what this is," and rushed after her friend.

Milk found Chiao on the side of the building, crouched under a tree. Ironically, the MV's set weather had come to match the real weather. The sky had blackened and cold droplets mingled with the fake rain in Milk's hair as she bent to meet her troubled friend's gaze. Rather than asking questions and anticipating the obvious response, the taller girl instead reached over to scoop up the smaller girl in her arms. They crouched together in silence, drizzle falling through the tree leaves, onto their set clothing. Being there, this way, with her, Milk wondered if life imitated art or if art imitated life. The MV's song chorus stung in her mind as her best friend clutched onto her.

"Wǒ hǎo xiǎng biàn gāngtiě rén nǐ yī xiǎng kū jiù xiànshēn"
(I want to become an Iron Man, i will be there when you feel like crying)