Christmas of 2008

Private Lessons


Chapter 16: Christmas of 2008

Christmas since then was no longer a celebration of life but a commemoration of the death of the one person who has truly ever seen me for who I am.

 

December 24. 16:23

“Amber. I’m heading out for a while.” Vic-eomma said through closed door of my bedroom.

“Ne. But where are you going?”

“Just to the mart. Gonna buy ingredients for Christmas dinner.”

“Okay! Bye, see you in a while!” I bid her goodbye.

When I heard the front door close, I resumed my online chat with Jackie. We were trying Facebook’s new chat feature and this definitely makes long distance conversations easier.

So how’s my little sister doing? Tired of trainings yet? ;)

Stop calling me little sister, Jackie. You know I hate that. But yeah everything’s fine. AND NO. I’m not tired of trainings.

Sure. So you say…

How’s mom and dad?

Oh you know. Same old same old. Dad’s still a little pissed off at you for not pursuing a college degree.

Yeah. That’s old news. Is mom still teaching those bratty kids?

She actually moved to teaching high school now. She said the kids are making her age 10 times faster. As if teens will are better.

They’re worse than elementary kids. Haha.

Anywaaaaay... How’s Krystal? ;)

She’s with her parents for Christmas. Why’d you ask?

Nothing.

Jackie…

Amber…

What? Why Krystal all of a sudden?

I said nothing. Oh mom’s calling. Gotta go!

HEY! JACKIE!

*Jackie Liu is now offline*

Darn it! Jackie’s up to something, I know it. She’s had this very cheeky chat with Krystal while I was asleep back in September. I don’t know what in the world Jackie has told her but Jackie being Jackie, I’m sure it’s something embarrassing.

Like the fact that I’m actually a crybaby. Or maybe that one time when I wore my first two piece and Nicole laughed her out pointing at my nonexistent s. Or maybe it was my first baking disaster. Oh . There’s so many things she could have told Krystal. I made another mental note to ask Krystal what she talked with Jackie about.

For now, I should finish the pile of homework my instructor gave over the holidays. No slacking off during break time, she reminded me.

 

December 24. 21:00

“Amber, could you please pass me that plate?”

I reached for the said plate and handed it to Vic-eomma. She was mixing chapjae in one pan and stir frying some vegetables on another. She really overdid out two-person Christmas dinner.

Five dishes were already on the table, and she was well on her way into making four more. If this continues we would be able to feed the whole neighborhood. She would not be pacified so I let her have her fun in making Christmas dinner for ten people instead of two.

With all the dishes set on the table, we both agreed to go about talking with our families first before digging in the Christmas dinner.

Mom was waving ecstatically over the webcam. Dad was behind her, with a small smile on his face. Jackie was nowhere to be seen, she’s probably still out buying god knows what for their own Christmas dinner.

“Amber, my baby! I missed you!” Mom said in Chinese.

“How’s Korea?” My dad now sat beside my over-excited mom.

“Korea’s fine, dad. It’s horribly cold here, but everything’s going well.” I sent him the sincerest smile, relieved that he doesn’t seem too pissed at me now. “Missed you too, mom!”

“Oh, my baby. Are you eating well? Are they feeding you enough? You’re thinner now, are you overexerting yourself?” she dumped question after question about my well-being, the trainings, the weather, the other members.

Her tirade of questions only stopped when dad put a hand on her shoulder to stop her. “Honey, slow down. You’re drowning her with your endless questions.”

Thankful for my father’s interruption, I asked where Jackie is. As if on cue, she appeared on screen with the widest smile on her face.

“YO AMBER! How’s my baby sister?”

“Fine. Just fine.”

“We sent you a Christmas present, have you received it yet?” Jackie asked.

“No. Maybe it’s stuck in shipping.” What that present could be, I have no idea. But knowing Jackie, it could be the pair of sneakers I’ve been eyeing at the airport before I left LA.

“Well, you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you receive it! Just wait!” Jackie was even more excited than me.

The conversation flowed swiftly for an hour (or maybe more). I missed them so much in the few months I’ve been away that I apparently had too much to tell them. I was telling them about the petty fight Sulli and Luna were having when they suddenly asked about Krystal.

They even knew about Krystal. Jeez. By the way they were giving me suggestive looks, Jackie must have told them her own version of the story.

“Mom. She’s just a friend okay? Stop giving me that look.”

“What look?” mom feigned ignorance.

“The ‘I-know-what’s-going-on-between-you-two’ look. I know that look all too well, you’ve been giving me that since I started telling you about Nicole back…” my train of thought stopped. I wasn’t expecting to blurt out her name so suddenly.

Even my family’s taken aback. I haven’t been able to say her name without tearing up and now I just suddenly bring her up in a conversation, casually I might add. Honestly, I was more shocked over the fact that I did not tear up when I said her name.

“Amber.” My mom looked surprised, so is dad and Jackie.

“You do realize you just said Nicole’s name right?” Jackie asked.

“Yes. I did.” I had gotten over my initial shock now.

“And you do realize that tomorrow’s her death anniversary…”Jackie added.

I just nodded.

“And you don’t feel like crying or throwing a fit?” Jackie earned a light slap from mom with that statement.

“No.” I replied. Too afraid to tell them that I was hurting less than what I expected to feel.

It was her second death anniversary tomorrow. I should be bawling my eyes out by now but for some miracle, I am not.

“Amber? Are you really okay?” It was my dad who asked this time.

“Yes dad, I’m really fine.” I assured them. Giving them the biggest smile I could muster.

“AMBER! TIME TO EAT CHRISTMAS DINNER!” Vic-eomma excitedly announced.

“Mom, dad, Jackie. That’s Vic-eomma. I should be going now. It’s 11:30 here and it’s time to eat our dinner.” I said.

“Okay. Amber. Take care, hmmm? I love you.” My mom waved goodbye.

“Amber. It was nice talking to you after all these months. I really missed you.” Dad had misty eyes all of a sudden.

“Call more often, okay?” Jackie said.

“Merry Christmas guys.” I bid them farewell.

“MERRY CHRISTMAS!” They all yelled back.

 

December 24. 23:50

“This is really good!” I said over a mouthful of chapjae.

“Thank you! I tweaked the recipe a bit. I’m glad you liked it!” Vic-eomma glowed over the compliment.

“Try this. And this and this.” Soon my plate was full of the dishes Vic-eomma cooked.

I raved about how good each one is and she’d blush each time. I was happy to be spending Christmas Eve with Vic-eomma but it would be happier if all the girls were here.

As I was stuffing my already full mouth with more of the scrumptious Christmas dinner, the front door suddenly burst open.

“MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS! I hope I’m not too late for Christmas dinner!”

“KRYSTAL?!” 

 

__________________________________

A/N: Another chapter here for you guys!

Hope you all enjoyed this update.

Comments, suggestions, and violent reactions are always welcome. 

 

Love,

blacknaive