Session 3: Prescription

Now You See Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Session 3: Prescription

Now You See Me

 

 

“Ms. Kim….do you think you could keep an eye on Key for me? Tell me with whom and when he meets anyone. I waited to call you because I didn’t want Key to know.”

“Of course I can! Anything to help…can you tell me why?” Jonghyun hesitated, but made up his mind quickly,

“Would you mind waiting a couple of weeks? This is a theory I have, I have diagnosed Key’s illness but I need to know the factors behind it, and I think that knowing everything that goes on in his life might possibly give me some clues.”

“Oh…alright, then. Shall I give you the list at Key’s next session?”

“That would be wonderful, thank you Ms. Kim. Have a nice day,” they said their goodbyes and Jonghyun went back to his research on Key’s condition. While somewhat of an expert in severe mental illness, his knowledge of drugs besides those used to treat his patients was negligible. Was there something out there that could knock Key out in a way that he would still be able to recall what was happening to him, yet not be able to fight it?

After a few Wikipedia searches he came across what he was looking for. Benzodiazepines. Commonly used in a variety of circumstances, typically resulting in the taker being taken advantage of in some way. Under the long list of potential side effects he came across several that fit his patient.

Anterograde Amnesia.

The inability to recall recent past events, either partially or fully. Key didn’t seem to realize it who it was that  doing everything to him, he seemed to be disguising the happenings as nightmares.

“Aggression, violence, impulsivity, irritability and suicidal behavior sometimes occur,” well the latter was certainly true…The more Jonghyun read the more he was convinced. ((Here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzodiazepine#Adverse_effects))

Now just to get a blood sample if Key showed any new signs of abuse by the next session. To prove that his Key was being put through hell, to stop it.

One Week Later:

“Here’s the list you asked for Jonghyun,” Key’s mother gave a forced smile and he accepted the list, along with her son, gratefully. Closing the door behind her, he turned to see Key’s unfocused, glazed, gaze.

“How are you today Key?” no response. Jonghyun frowned and took a step closer, “Hey, Key?” he asked a little louder, but still did not receive a reaction of any kind. He snapped his fingers before Key’s face, and at last the boy reeled backwards in shock, nearly falling until Jonghyun’s arm steadied him, “Are you alright?” he asked, worried.

“What? Oh yes, I-I’m fine,” Key’s smile was just as forced as his mother’s. A family resemblance.

“Would you like to sit down? I need to read something over before we start our session,”Jonghyun waved a hand to Key’s usual seat and the boy wandered over to it – slightly wobbly, Jonghyun noticed with a frown.

Once Key was safely in his seat, Jonghyun sat across from him and unfolded the letter Key’s mother had given him. Monday….no one. Tuesday, some boy name Jinki – could it be him?

“Key, who is Jinki?” Jonghyun asked, hoping to see some visible sign, fear, worry, anything. Key’s eyebrows only raised in slight surprise,

“He’s my best friend….why?”

“No reason,” Jonghyun murmured in disappointment. Wednesday, Minho…well, that made sense, Jonghyun supposed. Thursday, no one. Friday…Minho again. Was there really no one else?

“Key,” he started, having to snap his fingers to catch Key’s wandering, listless, attention once more, “Can you name anybody you tend to regularly see aside from Jinki and Minho?” What was that small twitch Key had given?

“Ummm….well, there’s Taemin, but he’s on vacation right now. He’s Onew – Jinki’s, boyfriend,” Jonghyun sighed in disappointment, on vacation meant he wasn’t around…

“How long has he been on vacation?”

“A three weeks now, he gets back tomorrow, actually. He’s supposed to be spending a month with his half brother Kai in China…Why?”

“No reason.”

“You seem to ask a lot of things for ‘no reason,’’ Key grumbled unhappily. Jonghyun was just as unhappy, this meant he didn’t have anything to go on, essentially. Perhaps it was this…Jinki? Key hadn’t really seemed at all alarmed by Jonghyun’s questions about him so it didn’t seem right, but maybe.

“May I see those scars again?”

“Why?” Key asked with narrowed eyes. Jonghyun was shocked that they were having a fairly normal conversation together – though Key seemed quite out of it still.

“I want to see how you’re healing,” Jonghyun invented on the spot. That was only part of the reason. When Key bit his bottom lip and nodded slightly, Jonghyun moved forwar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter