Chapter 6

High Profile | Hiatus

“Umma!” a little voice says over the phone 

 

“How is my baby doing?” I ask

 

“I’m fine, Mommy guess where me and Aunt Maia are going.” she says, Maia is not my biological sister, she is my best friend and my daughter’s godmother.

 

“Where are you going?” I ask

 

“The zoo!” my daughter says, I can imagine she threw her arms up as she shouted.

 

“I take that your granny is going there with you, you know how she is about animals.”

 

“No, me and granny are going shopping tomorrow!”

“Mommy, I miss you.” I can hear sadness in her voice.

 

“Don’t miss me too much baby, you and granny will be here in three days to spend the Summer with Mommy!”

 

“Will I be spending it with Daddy too?”

 

“You sure will, me, you, granny, and Daddy.”

 

“I have to go Mommy, Aunt Maia just got here.”

 

“Tell her and granny I said hi and I love them.”

 

“Arasso Umma, Saranghae!” she replies

 

“I love you too baby!” I hang up, happy that she is happy and practicing her Korean. I am so glad that she is going to know about both of her cultures but I am also sad that she isn’t here with me. I remind myself that in a couple of days that she will be here with me, that also left me with a dilemma that I had only a of matter days to figure out. “Does this thing ever stop ringing” I say as I answer my phone.

 

“Hello” I say

 

“Hi, It’s me Weylie. I wanted to know if you could meet me at the cupcake place down the street from the coffee shop we met at today.”

 

“What time?” I ask

 

“Anytime works for me.”

 

“Fine, I’ll leave the studio now, I will be there in 15 minutes.” I reply 

 

“Erika, this food is amazing” Jay calls out from the outside of the room.

 

“Was that Jay, I haven’t seen him in a couple of days.” Weylie says 

 

“Yes, it was he is at the studio with T.”

 

“I will see you in few minutes.” I say before hanging up.

“Hey guys, I am going to get going I have to be somewhere.”

 

I hug T. then turn to leave

 

“I know you are not just going to leave and not hug me!” Jay says

 

I nervously hug Jay again and once again breathed in his scent that was pure euphoria. I felt myself stumble a bit as I pulled away. I left the studio and drove to my next destination, to the cupcake shop to meet Weylie.

 

“Wow, you changed your outfit you look amazing.” Weylie says greeting me with a compliment.

 

“Thank you, why did you call me here.” I say while setting my purse in the seat next to me. 

 

“Well, I noticed that you are very protective and almost territorial when it comes to Jay. And I was just you know kind of wondering what could possib-”

 

“Honey don’t ramble cut to the chase.” I say trying to speed up her question.

 

“What do you have going on with my boyfriend”

 

“This girl, you have only known him for 2 months and he is already your boyfriend.”

 

“That is beside the point”

 

“You want to know what is going on between me and Jay?”

 

“Yes, that’s what I asked.”

 

“A daughter is what is going on between me and your boyfriend, we have a daughter.”

 

Weylie looks like the shock of finding out that Jay and I have a daughter is enough to kill her. I reach into my bag and pull out my phone and place it in front of Weylie.

 

“This is her, her name is Jayla. She is 6 years old but she is in second grade because she skipped a grade, she is short like me and Jay. And as you can see she has Jay’s eyes, his hair color, his cheekbones, my skintone and our eye color.”

 

“This bag, that Audi, and my house back in the states was my push gift.”

 

“What?” Weylie says with tears in her eyes

 

“Jay bought those for me after I had Jayla.” 

 

“So now you know I am not being over protective of your boyfriend I am just looking out for the father of my child.”

 

“AHHHH! I can’t belive he never told me that he had a child. And of all people you are the mother.”

 

“Don’t sound so shocked Jay used to actually care if the girl he dated looked like a ragamuffin or not. I mean girl put on some makeup, do something with your hair. Do Something.”

 

Weylie looked at me with both tears and anger in her eyes, I looked back at her as if to say insult me again and I will go ten times harder than what I just did.

 

“I have to see Jay, I’m leaving.” Weylie says as she storms out

 

I call Jay to warn him and we end up getting into a mini argument that we resolve before we hang up. I leave the cupcake shop and head back home.