Parenting Techniques

It's Just A Phase

 

February 26, 2011

 

"Do you have anything to say for yourself?"

Around twelve in the afternoon while Yixing was watching his intense dramas he received a phone call from Jongdae and Kyungsoo's school. The principal was very vague when she somewhat explained why he needed to come down and pick up Jongdae as soon as possible. Something about him and a whole bunch of students hanging around the school parking lot doing something against school code. When he actually arrived in the principle's office he saw some of Jongdae's friends sitting in chairs while the principle explained to him what happened. 

Jongdae looked over at Yixing before he rolled his eyes and continued to stare out the window of the moving car. He was very nonchalant about the entire situation as if it wasn't a big deal what so ever.

"Jongdae this behavior of yours is very unacceptable and this isn't a habitat you want to pick up."

"I don't see what the problem is. It's not like I killed someone relax."

"You're killing yourself if you continue to smoke cigarettes with those people you call your friends. Did you not know how shocked I was to have to drive down to your school just to see your principal yell at you guys for smoking on campus. You know better than to try things just because people tell you to."

"Whatever."

"Don't whatever me! Just please stop acting out for whatever reason it's hurting you."

"You don't even know anything about me so stop."

Yixing didn't say anything for awhile and focused on the road ahead of him, he didn't want to risk their lives all because Jongdae was being a brat.

"I've known you for almost three years and you refuse to open up to me. I'm trying so hard to be a parent for you and Kyungsoo."

"You married our father and you'll never replace our mother." Jongdae mumbled under his breath as he slammed the car door and made his way to the front entrance of their home.

Softly hitting his head against the steering wheel he inhaled deeply before he removed his seat belt and got out of the car to follow Jongdae. The comment about "never replacing our mother" usually didn't effect him just because it normally always came from Kyungsoo while Jongdae was the one to normally bite his tongue. 

After he closed and locked the front door, he went back to watching television in the living room while Jongdae was upstairs in his room doing god knows what. Yixing never thought being a step parent would be as difficult when the kids could practically take care of themselves but he was wrong. They needed him to be there for them even if they wouldn't admit it especially when Joonmyeon was busy with his hectic schedule. 

A few hours passed and Joonmyeon walked through the front door with Kyungsoo right behind him, both very tired from their long day at work and school.

"Afternoon." Joonmyeon said to his husband as he bent down to kiss Yixing on the lips. The kiss was longer than usual and Yixing even wrapped his arms around Joonmyeon's neck. 

"You guys are gross!" Kyungsoo yelled as he raided the full refrigerator, stuffing his face in the process.

"Where is Jongdae?"

A part of him wanted to let his husband know what happened but that wouldn't solve much. Joonmyeon was known for yelling when his children misbehaved and both parties were always left upset for days.

"He's in his room asleep. I don't think he was feeling very well that is all."

Joonmyeon nodded his head and got comfortable on the couch with Yixing, watching the mellow dramatic drama playing on the screen.

"The report cards came in the mail today. I need to speak with Jongdae about his grades, he's practically failing everything."

"When you say "speak to" you really mean yell at him until he yells back? Then get mad when he leaves and doesn't come back for a few days."

Raising his eyebrows Joonmyeon looked at Yixing astonished for critiquing his parenting style. "You say it as if you can do ten times better than me."

"I know I can."

"You're just going to go soft on him and nothing will be accomplished."

"Being understanding is what really matters. I'll talk to him and have him back on track."

"Really?"

"I promise you."

"Alright we'll see."

They both stopped their conversation when their favorite movie came on, the room was filled with silence until Kyungsoo sat down with them on his phone with his friend. Blabbing on about what he was going to buy at the mall this weekend, he tended to gossip with his friends until the wee hours of the morning.

A pillow flew and hit Kyungsoo directly in the head shutting him up and his phone falling directly on the floor.

This family was very dysfunctional.

 


 

Leave me some prompts!