Chapter 9

Two Less Lonely People
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Bom dug her hands deeper into the pockets of her coat and hunched her shoulders forward as she hurried down the sidewalk toward her apartment. Snow flurries blew furiously around her and the wind cut ribbons across her body, chilling her to the bone.

She clamped her elbow down on her purse when the wind blew it up and then readjusted the strap over her shoulder so it was crossways over her body.

It had been a dismal day in a long line of dismal days, and to make matters worse she was battling morning sickness and overwhelming fatigue. It disgusted her how much she needed to sleep in order to feel human.

She rounded the corner and breathed a sigh of relief.

Just two more blocks and she’d be home. As soon as she got inside her apartment, she was going to put on her jammies, curl up with a cup of hot chocolate and then sleep for about twelve hours.

What a party animal she was. She was one happening chick. From having endless energy and being able to function on just a few hours of sleep a night to not being able to hold up her head unless she got about fourteen hours in. Pregnancy had turned her into a pathetic, boring lump.

She was so deep into her thoughts that she wasn’t immediately aware of the car pulling to a stop on the street beside her. When she did notice, her heart lurched and she stepped hastily back. Just as a hand curled around her elbow.

She let out a startled cry and then quieted when she saw who it was who held her.

“Jiyong, you scared the life out of me!”

“Get in,” he said tersely. “It’s freezing out here.”

“It’s just a block and a half to my apartment!”

Ignoring her, he steered her toward the open car door and she sighed as a wave of warm air hit her square in the face. Okay, so maybe riding the rest of the way wouldn’t hurt. She slid across the seat, Jiyong getting in after her. He shut the door and gestured for the driver to pull away.

“You haven’t returned my calls,” he said in a clipped voice. “You have an uncanny knack of never being at home when I come by. Your friends, amazingly enough, have no idea where you are at any given time.”

The sarcasm made her flinch, but guilt made her wince even more.

When the car didn’t slow as they passed her apartment, she leaned forward. “Right here! My apartment is right here.”

“We aren’t going to your apartment.”

She sank back against the seat and sighed wearily.

“Look, I know I’ve been avoiding you. I’m not offering any excuses. But, Jiyong, please, I cannot deal with you tonight. I’m tired. I’m in a terrible mood. I'll only make you crazy.”

To her surprise, he cracked a smile. “At least you’re honest.”

The sudden change in his demeanor unbalanced her. He was so damn…appealing…when he smiled.

“Where are we going?” she asked irritably.

“Somewhere I think your mood will be much improved.”

“Cryptic bastard,” she muttered.

To her annoyance, his grin widened. But just as quickly, his brows drew together and he turned to face her fully.

There was no anger in his eyes, but there was most definitely determination. Oh, yes, he was clearly telling her that he’d finally cornered her cowardly and he wasn’t going to let her go this time.

“What gives, Bom? Why won’t you return my calls? I thought we had an agreement. I don’t even know when your doctor’s appointment is. Or have you already been?”

She frowned. “Of course I haven’t. I told you that I’d let you know so you could come with me.”

“You said a lot of things that haven’t exactly come to fruition,” he said darkly.

“I’ve been busy,” she burst out in frustration. “I’ve got a lot on my mind, including how the hell I’m going to support a baby. Much less myself. I’m stressed beyond your imagination, Jiyong. Cut me some slack here. Your life may not change so much but mine sure as hell will.”

His eyes grew stormy and his lips tightened into a fine line. She knew she’d gone too far.

She knew she’d been careless with her words. She wanted to bite at someone and he was the unfortunate victim because he just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not that it was entirely her fault. She could be at home where she wouldn’t annoy anyone but herself.

But he’d played Mr. Kidnapper and Mr. One Thousand Questions, so in her mind he deserved what he got.

Only he didn’t deserve it and she knew it.

He’d made the effort. He was doing and saying all the right things. Sort of. But it had been hard for her to come to terms with her pregnancy and what it meant for her. How did anyone do a complete one-eighty in their life and just keep on trucking? Maybe some people managed it, but Bom wasn’t one of them.

“You think you’re the only one struggling with this, Bom? Let me tell you, it not knowing what the hell is going on with you. It not to know if you’re okay, if the baby’s okay, if there still is a baby. Would you like living with that kind of uncertainty?”

Guilt gnawed at Bom like a hungry beast.

H

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter