Chapter 17

Two Less Lonely People
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
[DOUBLE UPDATE]

Bom struggled out of bed the next morning. She should be euphoric. She’d had a terrific turnout for her grand opening. She’d spent a wonderful evening with Jiyong and an even better night in bed. But as she’d known, even though she’d awakened before dawn to get to her café, Jiyong had been gone.

She trudged into her shop, feeling thoroughly down.

The two people she’d hired to help her bake in the mornings arrived shortly after she did and they worked in silence, Bom shunning any attempt at conversation.

She needed time to think. Or rather time to berate herself for being such a weak ninny.

Jiyong was…well, he was manic and it was driving her insane. She couldn’t continue like this.

Oh, who was she kidding. All the man had to do was smile at her, offer an apology and take her to bed.

She’d never envisioned herself as one of those gullible women she and her friends liked to rag on. But apparently Bom was smart in every aspect except men and relationships.

It was just a few minutes to opening when Bom’s cell phone rang. It was Taeyeon’s ring tone and Bom felt some of her tension ease.

Taeyeon always made her feel better.

“You’re up early this morning. Baby keeping you awake?” Bom asked as she put the phone to her ear.

“Bom, it’s Ryeo-wook.”

He sounded harried and there was a terse quality to his voice that immediately put her on edge.

“Where’s Taeyeon?” Bom demanded.

“We’re at the hospital. She’s in labor and wanted me to call you. I can’t reach her mother and she’s in a panic. I think she just wants some female company. I’m driving her crazy.”

Bom smiled. “It’s all right. I’m on my way. Hang in there.”

Ryeo-wook’s relief was palpable. “Thanks, Bom.”

She rang off and then gave her employees instructions for running the shop in her absence. Leaving her business on its second day wasn’t at all what she wanted but she wasn’t about to leave Taeyeon when she needed her most.

After making sure they’d call her if any issues arose, Bom hurried out the door to hail a cab. She could call Jong-hoon, but she didn’t want to wait even that long to get to the hospital. She was nervous and excited to be with Taeyeon on the big day, but if she were honest, she’d admit that the whole delivery thing scared the bejebus out of her.

She wasn’t yet prepared for that aspect of her pregnancy; she’d been existing in ignorant bliss.

Childbirth itself was the part of all the pregnancy books she skipped over. She knew all about the nine months leading up to it. She knew all about what happened after the delivery. But she’d blocked out any information about the actual delivery of the baby.

Not smart, but hey, a girl did what she had to just to get through.

Once at the hospital she stopped by the information desk to find out Taeyeon’s room number and then headed up to the maternity ward. She tapped on Taeyeon’s door, half-afraid of what she’d see on the other side.

Ryeo-wook opened the door and looked relieved to see her there. Bom hesitantly peeked around Ryeo-wook, happy when she saw Taeyeon propped in the bed looking none the worse for wear. Taeyeon’s face brightened when she saw Bom.

“Bom! I’m so glad you’re here.”

Bom smiled and went over to the bed to enfold Taeyeon in a hug. “Hey, you. How’s it going? When’s that baby going to get here?”

Taeyeon pulled a face. “Not soon enough. It could be hours yet. I’m only dilated to four.”

Bom blinked. “Four what?”

Taeyeon’s brow furrowed. “Centimeters.”

“Oh.”

Bom really didn’t want to know what exactly that meant. It sounded painful. These were things she avoided. She’d much rather read about the baby’s first movements and all the development stages after birth.

“Can I get you anything?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “No, just stay with me. I’m driving poor Ryeo-wook nuts. He wants to make it all better and I’m grumpy.”

Bom laughed. “You grumpy?”

“Here, have a seat, Bom,” Ryeo-wook offered as he pushed a chair behind her. “You don’t need to be on your feet, and like Taeyeon said, it’s going to be a while.”

Bom settled in the chair beside Taeyeon’s bed while Ryeo-woo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter