Chapter 7

Two Less Lonely People
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
It shouldn’t have surprised Bom to find Jiyong waiting for her on the stoop of her apartment, but when she looked up and saw him there, her eyes widened in shock. Then she checked her watch, wondering if she’d lost more time than she’d thought on the walk home.

But nope, he was just really damn early.

He was wearing a long coat, but no hat or scarf, and his hair was damp from the drizzle that still couldn’t decide on whether it wanted to be snow or not. His mouth was drawn into a grim line, but his expression softened when he saw her. She could swear she saw relief glimmering in his eyes.

She quickly dug into her pocket for her keys and mounted the steps. He moved to the side, frowning as she fumbled with the lock.

“Did you walk all this way?”

She pushed open the door, welcoming the instant warmth. Jiyong came in behind her and helped her with her coat before removing his. She started to take them, but he shook his head and asked, “Where do you want them?”

She gestured toward the closet door.

“There is fine.”

She waited until he’d finished and then led him into the living room.

“You didn’t answer my question. Did you walk all the way home in the rain? It’s frigid out there.”

“Just the last ten blocks. I rode with Taeyeon to your office and then hopped a cab to the restaurant where I had lunch. There was little sense in getting one home since it’s so close.”

His frown didn’t go away but he eased into one of her too-small chairs.

He looked out of place in her tiny living room.

His presence overpowered everything else and she had the instant sensation of not being able to breathe.

He seemed nervous and on edge. Guilt for her earlier unreasonableness ate at her.

She’d been a with the way she’d dumped the news on him at his office and then left in a snit.

He dragged a hand through his hair, then glanced her way again. “I know I’m here early, but perhaps you'll understand my impatience to get this matter settled.”

“Settled?” she echoed. She eased down onto the edge of the couch. She should be offering him a drink or something…but somehow it seemed silly because neither of them cared for observing social niceties at the moment.

“I don’t see that this will ever quite be settled. It’s not something to be settled.”

He sat forward, his body language tense and impatient.

He dragged a hand through his hair several more times as he seemed to be trying to figure out what to say next.

“I’d like to know your plans.”

She gave a jerky laugh, then closed her eyes because she was teetering on full-on mode again. “You and me both. You have to give me a break, Jiyong. I only just found out this morning.”

“Do you want the baby?”

“Yes!” she said fiercely. “Yes,” she said again, calmer this time. “I’ve battled that question constantly over the past weeks, and no matter how stressed, worried, panicky or dismayed I may currently be, I do want this baby.”

Was it relief that flashed in his eyes? It was hard to tell because the rest of him was so intense.

She rose, unable to sit still another moment. She paced away, keeping her back to him for a long second before finally turning to face him once more.

“I don’t have a plan, Jiyong. Does anyone ever plan for something like this? Obviously I’m going to need your help. I don’t have health insurance.”

“You'll have the best available care,” he cut in.

Her shoulders sagged forward. “Thank you. I’ve been trying to get my business started and health insurance is one of those pesky little details I haven’t sorted out yet.”

His expression was somber, his eyes serious. “You won’t have to worry there. I'll want you and our child to be well taken care of.”

Okay, maybe this wouldn’t be so bad. He seemed to be taking it all very well, and moreover he was being exceedingly accommodating.

“I don’t expect you to support me,” she said quickly.“The health care is more than generous. I have some savings. It’s enough until I get my business up and running.”

She paced back and forth as she assimilated her thoughts. The very last thing she wanted was for him to think she expected a gravy train since she was having his child.

There's too many damn strings attached anyway.

“Surely we can work out a suitable arrangement between us.” She looked up then to find him staring at her. “Will you want to be…involved? With the pregnancy, I mean. Some men aren’t interested. Well, Ryeo-wook is with Taeyeon, but I know some have no desire to go to things like doctor’s appointments and stuff like that, and it’s okay, really.”

She was babbling endlessly and the strange thing was, the more she talked, the angrier he seemed to get. His brows drew together until his face resembled a thundercloud.

“Just wait a damn minute. I will be involved. I have the right to be involved in this pregnancy.”

She blinked. “Well, okay. I wasn’t saying you couldn’t be. Just that I thought maybe you wouldn’t want to be.”

His expression grew fiercer. “You thought wrong.”

“Jiyong, look. I’m not too sure what I’m doing here. I’m trying to be civilized and cooperative, but you’ve got to help me. You’re sitting there glaring at me and I have to tell you I’m this close to completely losing my mind.”

The words rushed out in shaky succession and her hands trembled as she clasped them in front of her.

Jiyong cursed softly and rose to stand in front of her. “Sit down. Please.”

She hesitated only a moment before allowing him to guide her back to the couch. He curled his hand around hers and gave it a gentle squeeze.

“Now, here’s what I think we should do. First we'll get you to a doctor so that we can make sure you’re in good health and everything is okay with your pregnancy.”

She nodded. That much she could deal with. Going to the doctor was a logical first step. At least one of them was capable of rational thought.

“Then I think we should get married.”

So much for rational thought.

Before she could ask him if he’d lost his mind he put a finger to her lips. Then he heaved in a deep b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter