15 Years later

Look At Only Me

Dara’s POV

I smelled the Korean air as soon as I landed. 15 years had passed since I breathe this air and I already couldn’t get enough of it already. I guess I missed Korea that much.

I should have gotten back in Korea together with my bestfriend when I was 18, but my aunt was diagnosed with cancer that I just couldn’t leave her alone. Her cancer was all gone now, so she told me that I could freely go back to Korea and do whatever I want now.

But what do I want? Of course, I want to fulfil my promises to a certain someone.

I chuckled as images of my past flashed in my head. We were so childish back then, even getting married at the age of 7? But then, I remembered his promises. Did he...wait for me?

Speaking of waiting, my bestfriend Chaerin, said she was going to fetch me in the airport. But I’ve been here for 15 minutes or so and she wasn’t here yet. For all I know, she’s been stalking that guy she told me about a year ago. From her tone on the phone, I bet she’s head over heels in love with him. But how come I never knew his name? Well, I could always just ask Chaerin later right?

I looked at the crowd, trying to search a familiar face. ‘Where is that girl?’ I asked myself. I scanned the crowd and looked for a girl with a camera. Of course, she would have her camera with her— she’s a photography freak. But then, how could I stop her from taking pictures? That’s the only thing that made her happy. She had a bad childhood, even worse than mine. Yes, her parents were very much alive but they were useless people.

Chaerin’s dad was alcoholic. When he’s drunk, he hits Chaerin and do you know what her mom did? She verbally abuse Chaerin because she was a goddamn daughter who caused her to stop from being a model. When I first saw Chaerin, I saw a person with a tattered soul. She lived in the same neighbourhood as my aunt and whenever she’s hurt, I would drag her to my aunt’s house and I took care of her.

Poor girl. Yes, I did lose my parents, but my aunt provided me with everything I needed. I had everything while Chaerin only had me and her camera. Sigh, I would do everything to make her happy.

When we were 18, we planned to go to Korea to start a new life. But since my aunt got sick, I was left behind.

After 5 more minutes of scanning, I finally saw her. And I was right. She had her camera with her.

“Dara! I’m so sorry. I was...errr...” She said as she was trying to make up some excuses.

“No need Chaerin, I know you’re busy stalking that boy. Now now... tell me who he is?” I asked her. I saw her face instantly turning red. ‘Omg! I totally hit the bull’s eye, right?’

“You must be tired. Let me have your bags, let’s go home. Ahhh... what a wonderful day.” She said as she changed topics.

Typical Chaerin. Always secretive. But really, I wonder who that guy is?

----------------
Chaerin’s POV

I saw him again today. Same spot. Same time. Doing the same thing. Seriously.

I was too caught up observing (hey, it’s not stalking, I’m just...observing) him and I wonder why he kept on doing that. He was the first guy who got me intrigued ever since I decided to study here in Korea.

I glanced at my watch and I saw that it was already 3:30 pm. I was supposed to fetch my bestfriend from the airport. Damn, now I had to think about possible alibis.

After 15 minutes, I arrived at the airport. I wasted no time and looked for her. After looking at the crowd for 10 minutes or so, I finally saw her. I ran towards her.

“Dara! I’m so sorry. I was...errr...” I said. I already thought about an excuse but I seem to forget about it.

“No need Chaerin, I know you’re busy stalking that boy. Now now... tell me who he is?” She asked me.

I felt blood going to my head and it suddenly felt hot.

“You must be tired. Let me have your bags, let’s go home. Ahhh... what a wonderful day.” I said to change the topic.

I wouldn’t answer her question anyway. The man I’ve been following for a year... I don’t even know his name.
---------------------

Dara’s POV

I’ve been here in Korea for a month and I still didn’t have a clue where Jiyong was. I couldn’t even grab hold of any information about him. I guess they transferred somewhere. But I need to find him.

Chaerin just got home and she had the same grin in her face every single time she walked in through that door. If my assumptions were right, she saw that man again. Now, I’m really, really curious.

I wish I knew who he is...

Wish...wish...wish...

It was like a magic word that made me remember a certain memory. I grabbed Chaerin’s hand and asked her to accompany me to the nearest park. Without hesitation, she walked with me.

It was already 5 pm or so and it was getting dark. I only have one hour before it gets dark and I must find a butterfly.

“Dara, what are we doing here?” Chaerin asked, oblivious of my plans.

“I’m looking for a butterfly.” I said as my eyes roamed around the bushes.

“What for?” She asked curiously.

I caught a butterfly and instead of answering her verbally, I showed her. I whispered my wish to the butterfly and then, I let it go.

“Butterfly, please, tell the Great Spirit to let me see Jiyong again.”

I heard Chaerin gasped and when I saw was open.

“Is there something wrong Rin?” I asked, wondering why she reacted that way.

“Where did you learn that?” She said. I could almost swear that her voice was shaking.

“Remember all the stories I told you before? The guy that I married when I was 7 told me that he whispered his wish to a butterfly and that butterfly told the Great Spirit and that’s how I survived. Jiyong told me that.” I explained to her.

“Dara, I’m not feeling well. Can we go home now?” Chaerin said. I nodded and so, we went home.

-------------
Chaerin’s POV

‘It couldn’t be. It couldn’t be him.’ I kept on trying to make myself believe. I looked at all the pictures of him that I took. He was just standing, whispering something to a butterfly and then, he would let it go. He did that every single day. It was as if he needed to do it to survive.

That’s how I noticed him. And that’s how I became obsessed with him.

‘Jiyong...’ So, that’s his name.

------------

Jiyong’s POV


I whispered my wish to a butterfly again. But after 15 years, my faith in it was wavering. Why? Because for 15 years, I only had one wish... and it didn’t come true. YET. There, there’s a piece of optimism left. But, Dara...Sandara... when will you come back?

I walked home after my daily routine and I was greeted by my roommate and bestfriend, Youngbae.

“When will you stop doing that Ji?” He said as he wore a wife beater. (A/N. In short, YB was topless when Ji arrived. Of course, we have a quota people...SHOW YB’S ABS IN EVERY FAN FICTION.)

I smirked and said “I’ll stop...”I paused for a second before I continued. “...when she comes back.”

Youngbae made a face and threw a pillow on Jiyong. “You’re hopeless bro. Why would you wait for her? Hot girls are practically throwing their hot selves to you. Who in their right mind would ignore those hot babes?”

Jiyong almost got hot-tempered for hearing the word hot several times. But then, he must think of a witty come back.

“Well, hot girls are throwing their hot selves to you too. Why settle for one?” I questioned.

“I love Bom...” Youngbae said.

“Well... I love Dara too.” I pronounced.

“Pshhh. Who falls in love when they’re 7?” Youngbae asked.

“I did.” I answered directly.

“Why are you still waiting Ji? It has been 15 years already. It’s long enough for the both of you to forget each other.” He explained.

“But I didn’t, did I? I can still remember her clearly. And besides, the longer the wait, the happier I am when she finally comes back.” I patiently answered my bestfriend.

He hang his arms around my shoulders before he said “My friend, in that case, if she finally comes back, I beet you’ll be crying because of too much happiness.”

------------------------

Chaerin’s POV

Promise. This would be the last time. Tonight, I tell Dara about everything.

I watched him as he did his daily routine for the last time. Soon after, I saw him leave.

I immediately approached his usual spot and decided to catch a butterfly. Not long after, I caught one. I was about to whisper my wish when I heard a voice.

“Are you stalking me?”

I turned around and I saw Jiyong with an unreadable expression on his face. I wanted to explain but since it was the first time he talked to me, I was pretty stunned.

“Why are you copying what I did?” Now, his voice had poison in it. I felt myself melting in his glare.

“I...I...” I couldn’t say anything. What’s wrong with me? Useless brain. Where are you when I needed you the most?

He grabbed my wrist and said “Stalker. I’ll report you to the police.”

With my brain not functioning, and my mouth being possessed by an unknown spirit, I said it.

“Oppa... I’m Sandara.”

---------------