Chapter 1

Look At Only Me

Dara's POV

After our wedding, Jiyong and I became so much closer (and we were both punished for ruining the curtains). We were neighbours and we knew each other since we were in diapers and because of this marriage, our bond became stronger.

Sometimes, I would sleepover at their house and sometimes, he would come over to our house. Earlier, he told me he wanted to have a baby. But I didn’t know where to get a baby.

At lunch, my parents invited him and his parents to join us. Our dads were talking about sports while our moms where gossiping about our neighbour, who always wear short skirts and had 2 giant watermelons on her chest. I and Jiyong were used to hearing our mothers gossiping, and more often than not, we would just ignore them. But, they said something that caught our attention.

“Remember that guy with bleached blond hair who visited her 2 months ago?” My mom whispered to Jiyong’s mom. Yes, it was a whisper, but we could hear it clearly, after all, we’re too young to go deaf right?

“The one with the red Porsche?” Jiyong’s mom asked my mom. My mom nodded her head instead of saying yes.

“He slept with her that day. That’s why she has a baby bump. He got her pregnant.” My mom said.

I stared at Jiyong and his mouth formed an O. If I remember clearly, we slept together 2 months ago. Woah, I’m pregnant!

-------------------
Okay. We found out that I wasn’t pregnant. It was just baby fat. Sigh.

My parents decided to bring me to the beach today. Jiyong wanted to come too, but his parents said that they had to visit his grandmother who was currently sick.

I sat on the back of the car while my mom sat beside my dad, who was driving. I felt the car move and so I turned around and I waved goodbye to Jiyong until he was only as small as an ant.

We spent the whole day in the beach. Dad taught me how to swim while mom was busy preparing for our lunch. Then, we made sand castles but the bad waves washed it away. By 4 pm, we decided that it was time to go since it would be a long ride.

During the ride back home, dad kept on complaining that he got sand on his shoes and it was starting to itch. He reached for his feet to scratch it and the next thing I knew, we fell on a cliff.

My vision got blurry and I could feel pain all over my body. I saw my mom and dad bleeding. I cried as I screamed for their name. Then, I suddenly lost consciousness.
-----------------------
Jiyong’s POV

I should have been with Dara and I could have seen her wearing bathing suit (A/N: naughty 7 year old!!). But mom and dad didn’t allow me. They said that we should visit granny today in the hospital.

I missed granny. She would tell me stories when she came over in our house before. But after grandpa died, she never visited us anymore. Mom said that’s because granny didn’t want us to see her sad. But then, I’m glad that I’ll be meeting her now.

I held the hands of my parents, who were in the either side of me, while I was practically skipping towards granny’s room in the hospital. We reached her room and I saw that she was awake. I ran towards her and yelled “Granny!” before I stopped beside her bed.

I could see that she was happy to see me and so, I gave her a quick kiss on the cheek. I noticed that there were a lot of tubes connected to her but she seemed not to mind that. And so, I just decided to ignore it. I just want to spend this day with my granny.

After lunch, I felt a little bit sleepy. My mom told me to sleep on the couch, but granny told me to sleep beside her. And so I did.

I was about to fall asleep when I remembered that granny used to tell me stories. I begged her to tell me one short story but mom said that Granny couldn’t get tired talking. I was so disappointed but granny told me a short legend.

“Whisper your heart’s desire to a butterfly and it wouldn’t tell a single soul. It will fly to the Great Spirit and your wish will come true.”

I wanted to ask if it was true, but since I was too sleepy, I just fell asleep.
--------------------
When I woke up when I heard my mom crying. I looked beside me and saw that my granny was breathing softly while she was sleeping. I rubbed my eyes before I climbed down the bed. I walked towards my mom, who was sobbing on my dad’s chest, and tugged the hem of her shirt.

She was surprised to see me and so she wiped her tears. She squatted in front of my before she pulled me in a hug.

“Ji, Dara got into an accident. Her parents died...and she’s dying too.”

In my age, death wasn’t supposed to be big deal. We were taught that if we die, we’re going to heaven. And in heaven, all the good things were there. And who didn’t want to be there?

But then, I didn’t want to be left alone here. Dara couldn’t come to heaven alone. We should go there together.

Then, I remembered what my granny said. I ran out of the hospital and went to find the garden. I saw several butterflies and I wanted to catch one. Granny said that if I whisper a wish to a butterfly, my wish would come true. But why didn’t she tell me how hard it was to capture one?

I scraped my hands and knees already, but I was still unable to catch a butterfly. ‘Please.’ I said in desperation. ‘Just one. Please.’

Then, I saw a yellow butterfly, I instantly caught it. I said sorry to it before I muttered my wish.

“Butterfly, please, let Dara live. I’m begging you. Please.” I whispered before I let it go.
--------------
Dara lived. But she was devastated to know that her parents had died. She was crying so much that the doctors had to sedate (A/N. OMG. How could I kid know that word?) her so that she build up her strength.

I told Dara about what I did and she half-heartedly thank me, maybe because I wasn’t able to wish for her parents to be alive. But deep down inside I thank the butterfly for letting the Great Spirit know about my wish. I just couldn’t lose Dara. I lived my whole life with her by my side that I couldn’t imagine my life without her. But then, I heard my mom and dad talking that Dara’s only aunt was going to adopt her and she’s going to live with her. But, wasn’t her only aunt living in the States?
----------------

I stood in front of Dara behind the massive tree on the playground. She was leaving tomorrow and she was saying goodbye to me. I didn’t want her to go, but she had too. I wanted to tell my parents to just take full responsibility of Dara but they said that according to the law, Dara had to be with a nearest relative she had since she’s a minor.

Why were there such laws? My parents could support Dara too, right? Hmph...adults, I’ll never understand them.

“Ji, I’ll come back, promise.” Dara said as she held her pinky finger high.

“Hmph... Mom said that won’t be back until you’re legal. I bet you’ll grow up as a beautiful girl and then all the guys would pursue you and I won’t be there to tell them that we’re already married.” I said while pouting. I had my arms crossed on my chest.

“Okay. I’ll promise to look at only you then.” Dara said with a bright smile. Well, not really bright. She was 7 for Christ sake! Of course, her two front teeth were missing. And so were mine. LOL.

We did pinky swear but she told me to make my promises too. Oh hell, this was like in our wedding, when he exchanged our vows. I scratched my head as I started thinking.

“Ah. I know. I promise to wait for your return. Then, I’ll propose to once again and then, we’ll get married in a church. Hmm.. Is that fair enough?” I asked her.

She nodded her head before she did pinky swear again.

“This reminds me of our wedding.” Dara muttered.

Yes, this reminds me of our wedding too. But this time, there’s a honeymoon. Too bad... you’re going alone.

 

========================================================================================================================

(a/n) I don't ship DaraGon though. *winks*