Day 1 Part 2

Only A Month

I stared, wide eyed, at the four men in front of me and the pink cutesy 'welcome' banners and balloons around them. I think I would have fallen over from laughing so hard if Taec wouldn't have been holding me up. It was just... they were so stunning in real life. I could not believe that they were standing there with surprised faces waiting for me, a 16 year old Korean-born Americanwho looked more white than Asian, to enter their apartment and live with them for a month. if anything, I should have been the surprised one. They had planned for my arrival. The seven of them had gathered together and spent time to decorate for me. I couldn't wrap my head around it.

I must have been slap-happy from the plane ride or something, but I found the whole situation incredibly hilarious. Me laughing at them must have made a horrible first impression. I just couldn't help myself.

Taec looked down at me and tried to ease the awkward situation I had created by laughing with me, like the whole thing was a giant joke. I know he had good intentions but our laughter filled the room with tension.

He grabbed my shoulders and gently shoved me into the room so that everyone who was behind me could enter as well.

I sobered after a second and regained my manners.

"Mianheyo," I stated and bowed. I introduced myself and moved to sit on the floor in the corner.

I heard Taecyeon say the same thing to the others as he had to Jay on the couch downstairs a few minutes before.

"Yes, we can all tell," Jay said in an annoyed tone, "you don't have to keep saying it." He closed the door behind him and locked it swiftly. For a split second I felt trapped, as if Jay had just locked me in instead of locking others out. I gently shook my head at the thought after a moment.

Jay looked towards me. "You know who everyone is, right?"

"Of course! Where's Junho at?" At first glance I had realized that someone was missing, but I hadn't given much thought to who it was.

I looked at the guys in front of me and my heart began to race, as if it had just realized where it was. They. Were. Here. Right in front of me. I felt heat rise to my cheeks. Wooyoung said something to Taec who smiled and nodded to him.

"See Jay, I'm not the only one who thinks so," he turned to his leader and said.

"I'd ask, but I don't think you'll tell me even if I did," I said turning to the speaker.

JYP walked to the others and started speaking. I heard my name so I assumed he was translating what I had said earlier.

Okcat looked at me and stuck his toungue out as I had done to him earlier.

"I knew it."

"Come on," he said, "let me give you the grand tour."

 

Their home was a lot smaller than I would think. Turning left from the front door led you to the kitchen. Turning right from the main entrance led you to the living room. Three white couches surrounded a TV that was on the wall. Straight ahead from the entrance was a hallway. 2 doors on the left, 2 doors on the right, and 1 straight at the end of the hall. Taec lead me around the very open apartment that seemed much to tiny for the seven of them, let alone me, until I was familiarized with the rooms. Bathroom was the second left. Jay was the only one with a room to himself but they were not sure where I was sleeping yet. It seemed like it was obvious that I would be in Jay's room, but apparently that wasn't the case.

Eventually I was led back into the living room. JYP had disappeared, which wasn't surprising. I hadn't thought he would stay as long as he did. I looked around the couches at each member. Junsu, Wooyoung, Nichkhun, Chansung, Junho. They directed their attention away from the television and over to me. I bowed once again, not knowing what else to do. It was awkward standing in front of them and not being able to communicate with anyone but Khun and Taecyeon.  Junho had replaced Jay in the room, so I couldn't talk to him either.

"Uhm, taec oppa? This is slightly awkward and I have no idea what I should be doing right now," I still faced the group of 6 members. "Could you ask them if they're hungry? I can make everyone dinner while I'm here. And look at the time! It's already late," I looked over at the clock and pointed to emphasize. "I had a super long flight too. Can you please please please figure out where I'm sleeping while I cook? Jebal?"

He smiled, obviously please and surprised at what I had said. "No problem."

I glanced down to where my bags had been placed by the island in the kitchen and kind of gasped, remembering what I had brought with me. I bent down and started pulling bags of mango out of my backpack which silenced the members who had continued talking amongst themselves.

"I knew it was everyone's favorite," I said, tossing a bag to each person and putting Jay's and mine on the floor beside me, "so I brought tons for everyone."

'Kamsahamnida's' and 'Gomawo's' could barely be made out from the member's mouths which were now stuffed with dried fruit. Taec pointed to Jay's bag and I tossed it to him, not realizing that Taec has absolutely no hand-eye coordination. He tried to catch it, but missed with his hands and the bag slammed him in the face. This was only the start of this poor man's failures throughout the month.

I walked to the kitchen and started rummaging through the fridge and the cupboard to see what kind of food they had.

It was only when i saw what ingredients they had that I realized I had never been able to cook.

"How hard could it be?" I mumbled to myself as I grabbed some beef out of the bottom shelf of the fridge.  Deciding to make a stir-fry, I searched for vegetables and was finally able to put something together and turn the flame on under it.

I stood and stared at it, hoping the food would magically tell me when it was done cooking, but was distracted when I heard the members angrily and quickly speaking to one another. I turned to them and stared at the fighting group.

Hearing my name being angrily uttered from their mouths I realized that I was already causing problems for them. I should have understood the foreshadowing.

"Food's done!" I shouted, hoping to distract them. Not only did it not have any effect, but I also had absolutely no idea if the food was actually thoroughly cooked or not. I decided to test it on the only one not in the room.

I grabbed a pair of chopsticks as I spooned out some rice from the rice maker and scooped out some of the hopefully cooked stir fry.

2PM didn't even notice as I walked past them into the bedroom hallway. Looking around, I attempted to find Jay's room and I decided that his must be behind the only closed door. I knocked on it softly, hoping he would hear it over the yelling of his group mates.

What could they possibly be arguing about for so long? What was more serious to them than the food?

After a few moments the door opened and Jay's head peeked around the corner. I held the bowl out to him and asked if he wanted dinner. He responded by fully opening his door so he could grab the bowl and chopsticks in his hands.

His room was different than I had imagined. I guess I had thought that the members would have like rock star rooms and giant posters of themselves. Instead, Jay's walls were plastered with words: printed out lyrics of songs in multiple languages. He had a desk on the right which he scooted back to on his wheeled computer chair. His bed, covered in a basic blue checkerboard comforter, was in the upper left corner. That was it. Books and cds were also on his desk, and I assumed that there was a closet to the left of me, but I was really surprised as to how basic it was, and how it was barely bigger than a closet.

"What are you staring at?" he asked, mouth stuffed with food.

I regained my composure. "Oh, nothing, sorry. Is the food okay?"

"It's fine. Thanks, I guess."

I didn't know why he already hated me. Did he really hold a grudge over me about the comment I made in the car? Well. I hope he didn't expect an apology. Did he really deserve one? He wasn't acting very mature about the situation.

"Hey Jay? What are the fighting about?"

"Dunno."

"Whatever," I started to turn away as I said, "I don't know what I did to you to make you dislike me already, but I'm sorry, okay?" There. He hadn't deserved one, but he had gotten one anyway. I turned and started back down the hallway.

"Hey you," he called to me, and I walked back towards his room with my arms crossed.

"I have a name you know."

"That's great. Don't care. Here's a tip to stop the fighting. Tell them where you want to sleep." He moved his hand like he was shooing me out of his room. "Now go. And close the door this time!"

----------

Back out in the living room, the members still hadn't gotten food.

"Taec!" I yelled over the commotion. "Ok Taecyeon! I'll sleep in the bathtub if I have to, but I am going to bed. So go get some food, and good night."

Yeah, I had attitude. My patience runs a little thin when I don't sleep enough, ok?

"They want you to sleep with Jay since he's the only one who sleeps alone or out here in the living room with Wooyoung, but Taec wants you to sleep with him in his room," Khun turned to me and said from the kitchen where he was scooping out his dinner. He took a bite, munched a little, and shrugged. "Not bad."

"Thanks Khun," I smiled to him. Finally someone besides Taec showed me kindness.

"It's Nichkhun."

Nevermind.

"Sorry. Wait, why does Wooyoung sleep out in the living room? There's 4 bedrooms, right?"

"First door on the right is a food pantry."

"Well then why doesn't he sleep with Jay?"

"It's Jaebeom." Ahh. He didn't want me to use nicknames with any of them, not just himself. Well, that was a little better. "Jay thinks that because he is leadja he gets a room of his own. Wooyoung doesn't like sleeping next to people. He has a fear of people doing something to him in his sleep. So he sleeps out here instead."

"Well then I shouldn't sleep out here, should I?"

"Probably wouldn't be smartest."

Voices raised in anger levels behind me. They'd be yelling for maybe twenty straight minutes now, and they were starting to give me a headache. I walked over to the middle of the group, and eyes turned to me as mouths silenced. It was a wonderful thing.

Turning to Taec, I stated my mind. "I can't sleep out here because of Wooyoung's fear. So that knocks that out. I refuse to sleep with Jay because he hates me and I don't want to die. That knocks that out. So that leaves me with one of the other rooms, or the bathtub. But if you guys have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night I do not want to be there. That's disqualified. Taec, you only sleep with one other person, right? Why would I go in a room that already has three people in it? I'll sleep with you. Can you all please stop fighting now? You're giving me a headache."

Khu- excuse me. Nichkhun turned away from the group, shaking his head. They'd all have to get used to hearing me speak my mind. I wasn't going to hold back just because they were celebrities.

Taec smiled and translated, leaving the other members staring at me. I pointed to the food to redirect their attention, and they finally got the hint and went to go eat.

"You know," Taec said, "even though the other members don't really understand what you're saying, they can still pick out your tone. You might want to speak a little softer, and maybe a little more kindly? They think you're unappreciative already and you've only been here like an hour."

I sighed. "I'll try." Maybe after I slept it'd be easier to be nice to human kind.

--------

A few minutes later I found myself at the foot of a bunk bed. Taec had insisted that I take his bed, but I still didn't feel like I belonged anywhere but the floor. Maybe that's what had originally made me so angry. It was such a nice apartment building, yet this room was hardly big enough to fit 1 person, let alone 3. Stars shouldn't have to cram.

As soon as I crawled into the sleeping bag that was brought from home, I was out.

-------

I awoke to the sounds of heavy breathing and snores coming from my right. It took a moment to realize that I was not in my own room. I searched around myself for my phone. Finding it by my feet, I slid it open to check the time.

2AM.

That's when it hit me. I was in 2PM's building. Better yet, I was in 2PM's dorm. Even better than that, I was sleeping at the foot of Taecyeon's bed, with the others close by.

Somehow I managed to hold in a fangirl scream. My life was fantastic at that moment. Magnificently I was able to refuse the urge to run around the house screaming "Saranghae!" to every sleeping man I could find and glomping them.

I remember making a resolution at that very moment to be nicer to the group. I hated how I had treated them earlier.

But the damage was already done, and it wouldn't be until much later that I would get a chance to mend what I had broken in less than an hour.

That night I cuddled back deeper into my sleeping bag and matched my breathing with Taecyeon's. That night I wish I would have realized what I had already done.

This whole ordeal had still seemed like a dream at that moment. A dream that I never wanted to wake up from. I just wish that it wouldn't have turned into a nightmare.