It Pays Off

Ryeowook Day and Other Holiday Stories

December 2013

Ryeowook is stressed about his holiday recital. Kyuhyun is nervous about his recital performance. This season is just the most anxious time of the year. 

I wasn't planning on writing a holiday fic, but IIWMTB was not working for me last night so this came about. (Inspired by another US state finally legalizing gay marriage!) It's cheesy but that's kind of the season right? Enjoy!


 

The microwave beeped, alerting the owner that his chocolate milk was now officially hot. Peeling his eyes from the rapid snowfall outside the window, Kyuhyun went over and pulled out two steaming mugs of cocoa. Lightly, he blew on the first one, then he took a wary sip smiled. Rich and flavorful; sweet and creamy. Was he the master of holiday drinks or what?

Kyuhyun was just about to carry the cocoa along with a tray of holiday snacks upstairs when the soon-to-be recipient hurried into the kitchen. Ryeowook ran straight to the window then after taking a good look outside, he sagged as if all hope was lost.

“Oh no…”

“Hey, what’s wrong, babe?” Kyuhyun asked worriedly, setting the tray down and walking over to where his boyfriend was despairing.

“Oh no…Kyu, you don’t think it’ll keep snowing like this, will it?”

“Well, what’s wrong with snow? We might actually get a white Christmas this year.”

“The recital, Kyuhyun! How are people going to come if the roads are all piled up?”

“The plows will sweep it before tomorrow.”

“But what if it doesn’t stop in time?”

"I doubt it'll matter. Remember last time they predicted a 'huge storm'? It snowed for two hours and we barely got an inch."

Ryeowook whipped around to face him, panic in his eyes, “Kyu, there’s over fourty kids booked for tomorrow. There's no way we can reschedule this and it's supposed to be the first recital for most of them. Do you know how disappointed they’re going to be if they can’t perform…?”

His voice trailed off when Kyuhyun pulled him into his arms, shushing him lightly.

“Hey, hey; it’s going to be okay, alright?”

“No, no, I knew I shouldn’t have chosen such a distant location. I’m such an idiot.”

Ryeowook’s voice came out all muffled because he was pressed up against him, but Kyuhyun didn’t find it very comical at the moment. 

“You’re not an idiot. You’re an incredible piano teacher who has worked his off setting up the most amazing holiday recital ever. And people would come see it even if there were a blizzard because they love you and you made them love music. All of your hard work is going to pay off tomorrow. Just wait and see.”

It was hardly a pep talk as much as a stating the obvious. Everyone at the music school loved Wookie. He was by far the most requested teacher and he took on every student available. His hardworking nature had earned him the role of director and manager of the this year's holiday concert and frankly, if he stressed anymore about it, Kyuhyun was afraid he'd have a heart attack and die. 

Rubbing his lover’s back, he slowly rocked him back and forth. Ryeowook didn’t say anything but his body relaxed slightly and Kyuhyun could feel the slight nod of his head. Smiling, he nuzzled his boyfriend’s neck making him giggle.

“Kyu, stop it! Your hair tickles!”

Laughing, Kyuhyun pulled away. Taking a moment, he stared deeply into Ryeowook’s dark brown eyes, weeks of stress slowly washing into their natural liveliness. This was why they were together. This was why they would be forever. Quickly, he pecked his lover on the lips waiting until a genuine smile touched them.

“Beautiful,” He muttered. Then turning around while his boyfriend blushed bright red, Kyuhyun grabbed the tray of snacks and hot cocoa.

“And now, you shall finally take a break, with me, because I love you.”

Ryeowook smiled, reluctantly accepting the drink his boyfriend held out for him.

“Alright, but only because I love you too.”

“That’s what I like to hear.”

Grinning, Kyuhyun took Ryeowook by his free hand and led him into the living room, tomorrow’s worries, for the moment, behind them.

 

* * * * *

 

“Wow, this place is just great!” One woman commented to Kyuhyun as he was handing out programs and music school pamphlets at the door.

“Why thank you! My boyfriend really knows how to pick out a recital space, huh?”

“I'll say!” The woman happily accepted a program before going in to the audience.

Kyuhyun smiled a little brighter, glad that people were noticing Ryeowook’s hard work.

Of course it was true; the concert hall did look great. It was a massive space with great acoustics not to mention beautiful architecture. Now, lit-up with red and gold, the hall looked deserving of a holiday special. People were packed in every corner. It seemed every parent and their grandparents had arrived for this recital. Kyuhyun was out of pamphlets within another five minutes.

Without something in his hands, he began to fidget nervously. He shoved them into his pockets, expect they were full and it felt awkward. He’d been pouring over this night for weeks but now that it was here, he had no idea what to do beforehand.

Craning his neck, Kyuhyun tried to find Ryeowook among the hectic crowd in the hallway. Little kids dressed in ribbons were running all over the place, hyper for their first holiday recital. The older teenagers were flirting around, relaxed. Parents and grandparents were standing around chatting amiably about holiday plans. None of it aided his nerves. Finally he spotted a fluffy brown head bobbing around. If everyone in town was here, then it appeared his boyfriend knew every person in town. As he watched, Ryeowook flitted throughout the entire room at light speed, making sure every child had their music and the greeting the parents with restless joy.

“Hey, whoa, slow down there.” Kyuhyun lightly grabbed his boyfriend’s arm before Ryeowook flew past him in his frantic hurry.

 “Kyuhyun! You’re here!” Ryeowook said, looking surprised.

Kyuhyun chuckled, “I came here with you.”

“Oh yes, of course.” He blushed lightly.

Kyuhyun noted that despite seeming completely overwhelmed, his boyfriend still managed to look stunning in the vibrant red suit which highlighted the warmth in his eyes. The blushing only made his appearance even sweeter.

“I was just wondering if you needed me to do anything else. I’ve passed out all the programs.”

“Already?” Ryeowook’s eyes widened, “Wow. Um, Sungmin’s having trouble with the microphone system over by the stage. Do you think you could you help him with that?”

“Of course!”

Sungmin was actually just the person he needed to talk to. Releasing his boyfriend to continue organizing his music school students, he went in search for his much snippier music partner.

“Hey!” Kyuhyun called when he found him just behind the curtain.

Hunched over a mess of wires and speakers, the blonde didn’t even look up, “Hey.”

“How’s it going?”

“I’m surrounded by about thirty plug-ins here and only one of them is going to make that microphone work,” He gestured to the stand on stage, “How do you think it’s going?”

“Not very well,” Kyuhyun kneeled down next to the shorter, “I assume we’re doing a guess and check then.”

“Unless you have any better ideas.”

“Not a clue.”

“Great.”

So the two men began picking each wire and plugging them into every available socket hoping for results.

For a few minutes, they did this diligently in silence. Then, Sungmin spoke up, “So are you nervous?”

Kyuhyun, who had been clenching his anxieties the entire time, let out a shaky laugh, “Wow, I must hide it really well for you to ask.”

The blonde shrugged, “Not really; I just needed a convo-starter. But don’t worry, Ryeowook’s probably too freaked out himself to have noticed your edginess.”

“I hope so. Knowing what I have planned would just freak him out even more.”

"Too late to go back now. And besides, you’ll be the perfect end to this thing.”

Kyuhyun shuddered. He knew he was the last, and therefore most imperative, performer of the night but it was not something he wanted to think about. Even after practicing for hours on end, some part of him still screamed that he would mess-up and disappoint his boyfriend who had practically poured everything into making a successful concert.

“I guess I’m more nervous than I thought,” Kyuhyun mumbled hastily trying out a few more wires.

"As you should be." 

“But at least you’ll announce it right?”

Sungmin gave him a weird look, “Well, duh. Ryeowook’s not going to do it.”

Before Kyuhyun could respond, Sungmin plugged in a bright green wire and the speaker crackled to life.

“It works!” He announced triumphantly. High-fiving a startled Kyuhyun, Sungmin stood and gave him a strong pat on the back.

“I need to go check-up with my guitar students. Just watch the show and wait for my announcement, okay Kyu? You’ll do great!” The smaller chirped, bouncing off into the hallway, leaving a frazzled Kyuhyun sitting on the floor with an opened box of worries and anxieties buzzing around his head.

 

* * * * *

 

As the final performance came to a close, Kyuhyun politely clapped from the audience seats. It was finally over it seemed and aside from a violin player’s broken string all the performances had flowed smoothly. When the performer left the stage, Ryeowook hopped back on with a full blown smile of relief on his face.

“That was just a wonderful performance! In fact, these have all been wonderful performances…”

Kyuhyun got up from his seat as Ryeowook began his closing speech. Slipping out the back door into the backstage area, he took a deep breath to calm resurfacing nerves. It didn't work too well. He the box in his pocket. As he stood obscured by shadows, Ryeowook continued his announcements. First the audience clapped for the youngest performers for finishing a piece. Then the teens for sticking with music for so long. And then for the adults who came back and put some dedication into their hobby. Then, just as Ryeowook was about to bid them a goodnight, Sungmin gave Kyu his cue.

“Actually folks, there is one last performance for tonight!”

Hidden backstage in the shadows, Kyuhyun couldn’t see Ryeowook’s face but his silhouette visibly stiffened.

“This performance was organized for a very important reason for a very important person, who is in fact standing right beside me!

Master Ryeowook: you have been organizing this concert since before Thanksgiving. You have poured your time and money into this event because you love your students and you love their music.  So now someone who loves you thought it was only right that you get something in return!”

The world faded away as Kyuhyun stepped on the stage. The lights were still set on blinding the stage, but it hardly took his eyes a second before settling on his one and only. Ryeowook had has head tilted and mouth slightly open in pure amazement.

Slowly, Kyuhyun brought the microphones to his lips and opened his mouth letting the familiar words roll out in a moving melody.

This is my winter song to you
The storm is coming soon
It rolls in from the sea

My voice, a beacon in the night
My words will be your light
To carry you to me

Is love alive?”

A simple accompaniment trickled in through the background. Sungmin must’ve found his way to the piano. But his eyes never left Ryeowook’s.

“They say that things just cannot grow
Beneath the winter snow
Or so I have been told

They say we're buried far
Just like a distant star
I simply cannot hold

Is love alive?”

As he sang, he slowly walked to Ryeowook. Ryeowook, who supported him, who treasured him, who completed him. Ryeowook…

“This is my winter song
December never felt so wrong
‘Cause you're not where you belong
…Inside my arms

Yes, love’s alive.

Yes love’s alive.

Will you be mine?”

The last words rang out into the concert hall. The last note of the piano fading away.

Ryeowook’s eyes glistened as Kyuhyun pulled the velvet box with the rest of their lives tucked inside. With his gaze fixed on the most flawless being he’d ever know, Kyuhyun held out the rings. He wasn’t nervous anymore. 

“Kim Ryeowook. We’ve lived together for years. Loved each other for longer. And now, we can truly be together in the state that we call home. Will you marry me?”

Certain as the sun, Ryeowook didn’t even hesitate before flinging his arms around his fiancé and screaming  “Yes!” in his ear.

There was an immediate cheer from the audience, as Kyuhyun enveloped the smaller in his arms. It was barely noticed by the couple who was too busy celebrating their engagement. "IloveyouIloveyouIloveyou" Ryeowoook whispered in his ear between sobs. until a tiny girl launched herself at Ryeowook’s leg cheering: “Yay for Mr. Wookie!”

Breaking the embrace, the couple looked down, startled into remembering there was an entire crowd of people before them. A mother quickly pulled her away, apologizing frantically.

Kyuhyun waved it off. He didn’t mind; he’d chosen to do this publicly after all. And as a crowd of his fiancé’s friends and students poured up to congratulate them, he actually found himself unable to stop smiling. Because Ryeowook was smiling. Even with tear stains and watery eyes, the life and joy he radiated was unmatched in beauty. And now, they were for each other. So as they greeted and thanked for the next two hours Kyuhyun didn’t find himself minding sharing his husband.

After all, they had the rest of their lives.  

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Happy Holidays to those who celebrate. =)

(Lyrics: Winter Song by Sara Bareilles)