CH 1 - The IT Girl vs The IT Boy

More Than Friends

[Taeyang’s POV]

 

 

Here they go again, debating on who’s got the best fashion style for this day. Everyday, it’s always the same old scene. And as usual… here I am, being cornered by them. It has already become a daily ritual for me.

 

I really wonder, why on earth, am I the only person they keep bugging about their little competition. I mean, we’ve got a LOT of friends and one of them is even with us right now. I’m practically asking for help to one of my girl best friends and yet she just ignores me. Great!

 

“Youngbae-ah! It’s my style right? Right?” Dara asked. Well it was more like forcing me to agree with her.

 

 

“Yah! Yah! Don’t pressure Taeyang. Let him choose fairly. Right, Taeyang? Say, do you remember that Saint Laurent shirt that you requested me to give as your birthday gift? I’ll give it to you tomorrow if you want. Take it as an early birthday present.” My best bud, G-dragon said.  Ahhh!!! What a very tempting offer. Well, I really wouldn’t mind taking that bait just to lay my hands on that awesome shirt! But if I did take that offer, the other person wouldn’t let me off easily.

 

 

“Yah! KWON JIYONG! That’s bribing already. Talk about being fair. Tsk!”  the cute girl scoffs.  Okay! I really can’t take this anymore. Goodbye YSL shirt. I guess I’ll just see you on the day of my birthday, hopefully.

 

 

“Stop this argument already. Besides, how do you both expect me to judge who’s got the best fashion sense for today when both of you are wearing a plain black shirt and a simple pants? Aigoo~”

 

 

“So that means…” says G-Dragon who still doesn’t get what I’m trying to say. Seriously!

 

 

“That only concludes that no one won. Today, it’ll be a tiebreak, a draw. Okay?“  I said as I turned my back on them.

 

 

“This is your entire fault Jiyong. Of all the clothes to wear, you wore a plain shirt. Aisht!” says the girl who’s obviously not happy with the outcome for this day. But who cares… as long as I get to escape that hot seat, I don’t care.

 

“Me? How can it be my fault? If I knew you would wear the same clothes as mine, I would’ve changed to another outfit… And besides, who would want to have the same outfit as you are?” Jiyong declared.

 

 

 

I would.

 

 

 

“Bommie-ah!!!”  she ran to her protector, the girl that G-Dragon fears off. Well it’s actually not just him, but most of us anyway.

 

 

“Aaargggghhh!!! I’ve had enough of this bickering for this day..” Bom said sternly. Oh no… she lost it. Bominator is…  *gulp*

 

 

“And YAH! Mr. No.18! For your information, there are A LOT of men in this school who would want to wear the same outfit as my vitamin Dara.” Bom said. Okay… Now this is seriously dangerous. Bom only calls GD as ‘No. 18’ when she’s really pissed.

 

 

What should we do? I turned to look at GD as if in an ESP conversation with him. We’ve got to calm Bom or there’ll be no end to her naggings or worse a really hard smack from her.

 

 

“Really?” Dara asked doubtingly.  Nice save Dara! Diverting to a different topic is the best way to avoid Bom’s deadly wrath. It’s a nice decoy. But since its Dara, she’s undoubtedly serious of what she just asked.

 

 

 “Absolutely! You just don’t know it because you’re too naïve about your surroundings.” Bom said matter-of-factly.

 

 

“Ow… Anyway… Let’s go eat. I’m starving already. Kkk~” Dara answered as she pulled Bom towards the cafeteria. Obviously not taking what Bom had said seriously.

 

 

“Omo! Now that you mention it, I didn’t realize I was also hungry. I almost forgot about that. I’m glad you reminded me.  I want some corn!” Bom responded gleefully. It’s funny how Bom can actually change from the scary Bominator to the 8D Bom, in just a minute. Her weak point really is Dara because so far, only Dara can tame the Bominator, and she’s the only one that hasn’t tasted Bom’s wrath.

 

 

“Omo! Wait Dara…” Bom stopped in their tracks then faced our (GD & me) direction. *holds breathe*

 

 

“You two, aren’t you coming along? It’s our lunch break remember?” she asked then dragged Dara headed for the cafeteria. Whew! I thought for a second there that she wasn’t through with GD.

 

 

“GD, let’s go?” I asked as I turned towards his direction.

 

 

“Hmmm~“ was all he answered as he continuously write on his notebook.

 

 

I pity him because of his busy schedule. Early in the morning the players jog around the campus, and then after their morning exercises he’ll attend his classes. Once he’s classes are over, he’ll go straight to the gymnasium together with his teammates to train. *sigh*  I guess it can’t be helped…

 

 

“Looks like you’re busy. Here… Even though I know that my homework won’t be as good as yours, it’ll still be helpful. You have to rephrase yours though.” offering my assignment to him as I come near him. Even though I’m actually against copying it’s the least I could do to at least help him catch up.

 

 

“Done! Oh! I didn’t realize you were lending me your work. Thanks anyway… Let’s go?” suddenly standing up then walked pass by me.

 

 

“Yah!” I called out to him.  I waited for him but he just took off on his own? Unbelievable.

 

 

“You know man; it still amazes me on how you manage to catch up with our school work with you being the basketball team’s ace and all.” I said as soon as I’ve reached him.

 

 

“Yah~ There’s nothing shocking there. TOP hyung also does the same.” He answered back.

 

“Yeah~ but you’re in a whole different level than that hyung. And I don’t mean just catching up. Your grades in all our subjects are all 1.75! How can you do that???” I asked as soon as I approached his side.

 

 

It really amazes me on how well my best guy friend is balancing his studies and sports.  Not many people can do that. And not just balancing it. He excels in both! He’s definitely an incredible guy.

 

 

“You know players need to pass 60% of their subjects or else he’ll get kicked off the team.” He anwered.

 

 

“You didn’t answer my question… That’s 1.75! Even I or TOP hyung or any of our friends… wait maybe some of our friends excluding Minji and Dara, can’t attain a grade that high! I bet if you weren’t a varsity player, you’ll be able to beat Dara in class.” I said with conviction. I bet it with all my hat collections that he’ll surpass Dara’s straight 1.25 grades if he were to just focus on studies and nothing else.

 

 

“I don’t think so. That girl’s not even focusing on her studies, yet she’s getting high grades. I’m certainly no match to her.”  Aw… such a down-to-earth guy… WAIT a second! What does he mean by Dara not focusing on her studies? I knew Dara ever since we were kids and I’m certain that she’s giving her all in everything she does.  I was about to ask him when someone called his name.

 

 

“Kwon, over here!” said a guy pointing at a vacant seat on their table. The ‘varsity table’.

 

 

“Thanks but I’m actually with my friends. Maybe next time?” the man beside me said apologetically once we were in their table.

 

 

“Ow… cool! Next time then.” Though the man was clearly disappointed, he still smiled. GD bowed to them and so did I as we were leaving.

 

 

“Hey, weren’t that Simon D and the other players?”

 

 

“Yes.” He answered flatly.

 

 

“Why did you turn their invitation down? Shouldn’t you be trying to fit in with them? Remember, you’ve only been on the team for 3 months and you’re already playing for the school. Don’t you think you ought to befriend them so that they won’t give you a hard time? Aigoo, G-Dragon-ssi.”  lecturing him.

 

 

I know I’m in no position to lecture him but he’s my friend. It’s only natural that I, as his closest friend, don’t want him to get tormented because of his cocky attitude, especially if it’s against a whole basketball team.

 

 

 “Don’t worry about it. I just joined the team because I enjoy playing the sport. So if they give me a ‘hard time’, I’ll instantly quit.” Shoving off all my worries.  He really is one of a kind. If it were other people, they’d be consumed by the popularity that comes from being a member of a group that gives the school acknowledgement. But he on the other hand…

 

 

“Omo! Isn’t that our basketball team’s No.18, Kwon?” I saw the girl asked to her friend.

 

“Waaaah!!! He’s so handsome!” the other commented.

 

 

“I want to take a picture with him!” the girl said.

 

 

“Kyaaaaa!!! Me too!” the other girl agreeing with her. I glanced at the person beside me but he doesn’t seem to notice the girls that are coming to our direction.

 

 

“Uhmmm… Can we… can we take a picture with you?” the girl said as they approached GD.

 

 

“Uh… Are you sure? My picture won’t cost a thing.” GD answered with a puzzled expression. Doesn’t he even have a clue on how popular he is in our school?

 

 

“Of course we are, silly. Can we? Please?” the girl begged as if her life depended on it.

 

 

I bet these two are a member of his fan club. Yup! That’s how popular he is. I think, out of all the varsity members, he’s the only one who has an official fan club that is approved by the school board.

 

 

“O…kay…” the poor G-dragon answered confused. I really pity my best friend. He hates it the most when someone gets treated as some royalty or celebrity. In which situation he’s in…

 

 

“Excuse me… Can you take our picture? Please?” one of the girls approached me.

 

 

“Sure, no problem.” taking the camera that she’s giving me.

 

 

Seeing GD standing still with a blank expression on his face, while looking at the camera is definitely a weird sight. This is far from the G-Dragon that I know of. Since GD is always quirky especially in front of the camera. Hmmm… Maybe he really doesn’t want strangers invading his own world. I suddenly remembered that time…

 

 

{FLASHBACK} – 2 years ago…

[YB’s POV]

 

 

“What are we going to do, Youngbae? Every table is full.” Bom said.

 

 

“I-I don’t know too. Are you both that hungry?” looking at my two childhood friends.

 

 

“Yes…” they both answered in unison in a hushed tone. Oh no! This is bad. They aren’t their usual energetic self.

 

 

“Okay then. Since you’re both really hungry, let’s ask him if we can share with his table.” pointing at the only person that has the table all to himself.

 

 

“Are you kidding me? No way!” Immediately declining my suggestion.

 

 

“Oh come on, Bommie-ah… You know you’re almost at your limits and so am I. We really, really need to eat.” Dara said emphasizing the word ‘need’ to Bom.

 

 

“Even though my stomach’s already growling, there’s still no way that I’m going to ask some stranger for a favor. That’ll be embarrassing. And besides what if he’s a maniac? I’d rather die hungry.” answering Dara with no hint of ever giving up on her statement.

 

 

“Yah!!! Stop being such a kid already. Would it kill you to just ask someone a favor for just once? I already told you that I’m at my limits…”  *gulp* Dara’s temper just erupted.

 

 

[You can disturb Dara even in her deep slumber and she won’t even get a tiny bit mad at you. But never (and I really mean NEVER!) even attempt to joke her when she’s starving because her temper would explode and no one can stop her. That is until she gets to eat.] I glanced at Bom and saw a sulking Bom instead of the Bominator. (It looks like even the Bominator isn’t any good when hungry Dara shows up. I actually feel sorry for her, she was the one who got to taste the Dara-nade (Dara+grenade) for this day.) I also saw Dara looking at Bom as if realizing what she just did…

 

 

“Look, I know exactly how you feel, Bom. Since this is also my first time trying to ask a stranger a favor. But can’t we just forget our stupid pride for a bit? I can definitely do that… can you?” Dara says now calmly *whew*

 

 

“Fine… You win. But I won’t be the one to ask him. Youngbae! You ask him.” Bom said facing me.

 

 

“That’s fine with me. Let’s go.” Instantly agreeing to Bom. I don’t want to taste the Dara-nade.

 

 

“Uhmmm… Excuse me. Are you with someone? If not, can we please share this side of the table? Everywhere else is full.” I said as we approached him while pointing at the vacant seats in the table.

 

 

“No, I’m by myself and I’m sorry, but no. I don’t like to eat with someone I don’t know.” Dismissing my plea automatically.

 

 

“But we’re really hungry. We promise we’ll eat quietly. It’ll be as if you were eating alone. I promise.” begging him. I’m really in a desperate need right now. No time for pride and all.

 

 

“I’m sorry but it’s still a no. I really, really don’t like the thought of eating with strangers. Maybe you can wait after I eat?”

 

 

“YAH!!! IT’S NOT LIKE YOU OWN THIS TABLE. SO YOU’LL LET US EAT IN HERE WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. GET IT?” Dara burst out, immediately seating at the vacant seats.

 

 

“WHAT THE H…” he was about to complain but he was cut off by Bom.

 

 

“Just let us eat here with you. You really wouldn’t like it if you complain any longer. I suggest that you just agree with it… believe me.”

 

 

“… Fine.” The guy surrendered.

 

 

*crickets*        *crickets*        *crickets*

 

 

It was the quietest meal I’ve ever been to. No one spoke. We just ate as quietly as possible for a human being.

 

 

“Aaaaah~” I turned to look at the person who broke the silence. It was Dara. It seemed like she’s done eating.

 

 

“That was such an amazing meal.” She continued, then added, “Who wants ice cream?” looking at Bom, me, then the other guy who’s still busy eating.

 

 

“Chocolate for me.” I said.

 

 

“If there’s no corn, vanilla would be okay.” Bom requested.

 

 

“What about you?” she looked at the guy beside her.

 

 

“Huh?”

 

 

“What flavor do you like? It’s a token of gratitude for letting us eat here.” She said smiling at him.

 

 

“Oh… then… I’ll have a vanilla. Thanks.” Surprised written all over his face. I mean who wouldn’t be… After being shouted by a girl (who you just met) and then after a few minutes that same girl is all nice and cute. I would have reacted that way too if I just met her too.

 

 

“Okay… 1 chocolate, 1 corn/ vanilla and 1 vanilla.” Dara stood up and headed to the ice cream corner.

 

 

“I’ll come with her… She can’t possibly carry 4 ice cream cups.” I said to Bom.

 

 

She was already on her way back when I saw her; walking slowly, trying to balance the other two cups of ice cream that was on top of the other two ice creams which is in both of her hands. It was seriously a sight to see. I can’t help but laugh as I approached her.

 

 

“What’s so funny?”

 

 

“You. You are funny. Hahahah!” I said as I grab the two ice creams which were strawberry and chocolate flavor.

 

 

“Thanks... and stop laughing already!” she whispered embarrassed by the scene.

 

 

As we reached our table, we saw that Bom and the guy are getting a long well. Hmmm… Now who’s the one who said that she doesn’t want to talk or approach strangers? I gave Dara her ice cream and she gave the other ice creams to Bom and the other guy.

 

 

“Thanks.” Said Bom and the guy in unison.

 

 

“By the way, his name is GD and can you believe that we also are in the same class?” She introduced the guy in front of her to us.

 

 

“Woah! Really? What are the odds?!” I blurted out, amazed at the coincidence.

 

 

“Forgive me for my rude behavior earlier. Hello! I’m Kwon Jiyong, but my friends call me G-Dragon or GD. Nice to meet you.” He said as he stood up then making a 90% bow. Man, he’s so respectful!

 


“Forget about it. I was also a bit impolite back there. By the way, I’m Sandara Park, Dara for short. Nice to meet you too!” bowing her head a little then offering her hand for a handshake.

 

 

“I’m Dong Youngbae but these two gave me Taeyang as my nickname. So call me either of it.” I said to him, also offering my hand for a handshake.

 

 

“So we’re friends now, right? Right? Good! At least we have another guy friend aside from Yangie… Right Bommie?” Dara said cheerfully to Bom.

 

 

“Ah… Yes... Yes… That is if it’s alright with you.” Bom looking at GD, hopeful.

 

 

“O-Of course. Why not? At least I won’t have a hard time making friends since you already offered.” agreeing to be our friend. Nice! At least now, people won’t question my gender because I’m always with two girls almost all of my life.

{End of Flashback}

 

 

Ever since that day, the four of us and some additions, became close friends. And we still eat on that same spot that we’ve first met. It became like our own territory since miraculously, that place was always vacant when we arrive at the canteen.

               

 

“There you go.” giving back the camera to its owner.

 

 

“Thank you…” looking at me, then turned to GD again, “Thank you, thank you so much!” the two girls left, giddiness all over them.

 

 

 

“Well that was awkward.” was all GD can say.

 

 

“Get used to it since you have your own fan club. I bet there are a lot of girls who’d want to take pictures with you but rarely get a chance.”

 

 

“Don’t I get to have a say in these? I mean… Can’t I go to the school board and try to explain my side on why that club shouldn’t exist?”

 

 

“Hmmm… I don’t think so, because it was petitioned by your fans… And most of the girls in this university are a fan of yours.”

 

 

“Ugh! That’s rubbish! They won’t get any benefit from it anyways.” pissed at how things turned out.

 

 

Oh no. Oooooh no! This isn’t good. He snapped out of it. Right now, the best thing to do is to calm him down... But how do I calm him down? Aigoo~, if this continuous, I’ll be the one to suffer big time.  I need something... something to distract this conversation. [Ugh!!! I really do have plenty of scary friends. Hul!!!] What if I~

 

 

“WHAT THE…” I heard a much scarier tone from the dragon. THIS can’t be good.