Chapter 5

Everything comes with a price
You watched him as he drifted in his deep sleep and thousands of memories came flooding in your head. Even though it's been years since you first met him but the memories remain fresh in your head, like the scent of daisies and roses in the spring. 



"That will be $10.90" said the girl in an apron behind the counter. You quickly digged in your purse and took out eleven dollars and received your change. 

"Enjoy your meal." She said with a smile. In return, you smiled back and take the food tray with you. Your eyes were wandering around the fast food restaurant, trying to find the 'right spot' that you favor. Your tummy was grumbling and the smell of your cheeseburger just made it roar louder.
 
As you squeezed your small body between the tables, something caught your foot and you slipped. Luckily, someone managed to get hold onto your arm. 

"Wooah are you okay ? Your burger is slipping from the tray." The man said as he slowly released your arm. 

"I'm okay. Thank you." You looked down, trying your best to escape from his gaze. He straightened his back and without he noticed he immediately fixed his collar. He stretched out his long fingers and with his boyish smile, he introduced himself. 

'I'm Jung Daehyun."   


***

You closed your eyes and took a deep breath. After all the time that you'd spent together, tonight you realised the price of life.
 
It's all about give and take. A wonderful husband comes with an eye disease. Reality does hurts sometimes. With that thought, your mind went to your dreamland. 

*** 

It's 8 in the morning and your husband is still in bed. After you made breakfast and some coffee, you went to his side and woke him up. 

"Honey, wake up." You shook his arm.

No response. 

"Daehyun-ah, wake up." Your temper rised slightly.

Still, no response. 

"Yah Jung Daehyun !" You screamed. Daehyun quickly grabbed your arm and flew you over him to his side. You were screaming in shock and horror.
 
"What did you just do ? What did your muscles do to you !" 

"This is what you get for screaming at me in the morning. I'm tired. Let me sleep just for another minute." Daehyun murmured under his breath. For once, you were speechless. Speechless by how strong he had been, and how attractive he was in the morning. His front hair were almost covering his eyes. His jaw lines and cheekbones were vivid. You could feel your heart beating fast. You looked at his arms and he's still locking your hands. Perfect. Now you couldn't move. 

"I was just-t" you cleared your throat. 
"Breakfast is ready." You said. And with that magic word, Daehyun popped out his eyes and grinned at you.

"It worked. Let's eat. I'm hungry." He said and immediately released your hands. He got off from the bed and held your hand as both of you walked out the door.
 
After breakfast, both of you dressed up casually for the event of the day. At the doorstep, Daehyun took your coat and his from the coat holder. He wore his first and then helped you wore your coat. As soon as both of you walked out of the door, he locked it and shuffled the keys into his pockets. Daehyun turned to see you and took your hand.
                                           
"Are you ready ?" Daehyun squeezed it. 

"More than ever. Let's go." You smiled. 

*** 

The drive to the hospital wasn't too long. Upon arrival, you saw a few doctors and nurses opened the ambulance and took the patient off from the ambulance. The patient was bleeding. Probably from an accident, you thought. 

"Look away." Daehyun said next to you.
 
"Pity her. I hope she's okay."

"Yeah, I hope so too." 

After Daehyun parked the car, both of you alighted and walked together to the entrance. Both of you took the lift and pressed the button '6'. As the door of the lift opened, Daehyun approached the nurse behind a counter and asked for Dr. Lee. 

"Hi. I'm here to see Dr. Lee. I have an appointment with him." 

"Mr. Jung Daehyun ?" The nurse read from a file. Daehyun nodded.

"Please go inside this room. He's waiting for you." The nurse motioned his hand to Dr. Lee's room. Daehyun thanked him and both you went inside, holding hands as a sign of reassurance that everything is going to be okay.
 
Daehyun knocked the door and turned the door knob. 

"Hello, doc." Daehyun greeted with a smile. 

"This is my wife." He introduced you. You flashed a smile and bowed slightly. 

"Hello both of you. Come Daehyun, sit here. Let's get started." The doctor said heart-warmingly. 

*** 

"I suggest you take the surgery as soon as possible. I'm worried that it might get worse considering that your condition is not recovering from our last meeting." The doctor reassured him.

"When can I take the surgery ? I mean, the sooner the better right."
 
"I can schedule your surgery tomorrow. You will be warded this afternoon. We need to run some tests on you." He said clearly. 
                           
"Okay doc. Whatever you say, I'm okay with it. Thank you, doc." Daehyun stood up and shook hands with Dr. Lee. The doctor smiled and nodded. After that, both of you excused yourself  and left the room. 

"Heading home ?" You asked. 

"Yup. Let's pack my clothes."