Chapter 3

Everything comes with a price
"Hello doc ?" Daehyun greeted softly.
"Yes, Daehyun. So, how's your eyes ? Do you have problem with your eyesight lately ?"
"Sometimes. I'm ignoring it. Is there anything wrong ?" He was anxious.
"Have you told your wife about this ?" 
"No. I wasn't planning on telling her about this." Daehyun bit his lower lip. He looked behind his shoulders and saw someone's shadow at the door. 
"I thought you promised me you wantes to tell her. Look. Your disease is quite serious. You can't depend on eyedrops for your whole life.." 
"Is there a donor ?" Daehyun almost whispered. He knew that you're listening the whole thing.
"Yes, there is. See me tomorrow. I have another patient now."
"Okay doc. Thanks." Daehyun hung up.

Daehyun took a deep breath and slide the phone in his pocket and took the eyedrop on the bedside table. He walked to the door and spotted you.
 
"Were you eavesdropping ?" He asked nervously.

"No. I wanted to use the bathroom. Why ?" 

"Nothing. Be quick, please. I'm hungry." He scratched the back of his head and smiled half-heartedly.

"Okay. I'll be quick." You said and enter the master bathroom. 

"So close." Daehyun murmured to himself. He's still unsure about telling you the truth-if there's no donor he'll be blind forever. But then, it hit him. His sight became blurry and everything went black. Daehyun tried his best to not be panick and immediately apply a few drops of the eyedrop. He squeezed his eyes tightly, hoping that his sight will come back. He opened his eyes and everything was clear. He sighed of relieve and quickly went to the kitchen, as you told.
 
"Yeobo. Are you starving ? Let me finish this up okay ?" You came out of the bedroom and walked to the kitchen. You saw Daehyun in the kitchen, reading newspapers. 

"Umm." He replied. You put the apron back on and pulled your hair up.  Daehyun looked at you and decided to help.

"Let me do it. You know I'm good at this." He said with a smile and took the  rubber band in your hand. He smoothened your hair that's poking out and tied it up with the band. 

"Oh. You're good. Since when are you acting  like this ?" Your face blushed.  

"Since I'm married to the most beautiful girl in the universe. Come on, your husband is attractive when he does these kind of things, right ?" He giggled.
 
"VERY attractive. Ahh my heart races every single day." You're trying to flatter him. And it worked. Daehyun smiled from ear to ear, indeed very happy to heat that from you. Daehyun put his arms around your waist and rest his chin on your shoulder. 

"Why.."   
"Don't move. Let's stay like this for a while."

You tried to not move while your hands continued to flip the eggs on the stove.

"There's something you need to know." He murmured under his breath, almost like a soft whisper in your ear.
"What ?" Your voice was soft. You touched his arms and gave a light pat.
"The doctor called just now." 
"Doctor ? Why ? Are you sick or something ?" Your heart started to beat faster, feeling anxious.
Daehyun sighed. "Yeah. There's something going on with my eyes."
 
Daehyun stopped his words and you stood in his embrace silently. Then, he continued.

"Once in a while, I can't see things clearly. It went blurry and foggy. Sometimes.. It went black. I can't see anything. When that happens, I'm really scared." His voice cracked at the end if the sentence. You're still in silence, almost frozen in his embrace. 
                             
"I'm scared to not get to see your face. I'm scared that we can't see our children grow up together like you'd always wanted. I'm scared that I can't be there for you when you need me. But most of all, I'm scared that our marriage won't work." His voice was soft. Then, you finally spoke.

"It's okay to be afraid." Your eyes were a pool of water. You turned your head and looked deep into his eyes. 
"I will still love you even if you're blind. I'm not going anywhere. Trust me."
 
Daehyun smiled, a sign of relief. 
"I know you would. Gomawo, yeobo." He tilted his head and kissed you. The kiss, which can make your heart stop. The kiss, that gives butterflies in your stomach. That kiss will indeed be the ones that you'll cherish the most. 

Daehyun pulled back and rested his forehead on yours. 

"Yeobo."   
"Mm ?"
"I'm hungry." 
"As always. Go take a seat. Let me finish this, okay ?" You raised your eyebrows and he smiled. Daehyun released you from his embrace and took a seat by the table. You quickly took the bread and spread peanut butter and jam. 

"Here you go." You placed the plate on the table.
 
"It looks delicious !" 
"Look who made it." You sticked out your tongue.
"I'll eat it well !" He shouted like a 5-year-old. Both of you picked up the fork and start digging.    

*** 
It's 5.30 p.m. . Both of you were cuddling on the sofa while watching his favourite movie. You were on his lap, wrapped around his arms, and your head was on his broad chest. Daehyun put his chin on top of your head, locking you in his embrace. 

"Do you want some coffee ?"   You're asking him as you looked up to his face. Daehyun's gaze was glued to the screen. 

"Mm." He answered. 

"Okay." You grabbed his wrists and tried to get up but he resisted. You swayed your body from one side to the other but he's still resisting.
 
"Where are you going ?" Daehyun asked you. And finally he looked at you, looking rather confused. You giggled as you watched his face. 

"Don't you want some coffee ? You said yes earlier." You pinched his thigh.

"Ouch ! Your pinch stings. I never said yes to coffee before." 

"Yeobo. I asked earlier whether you wanted coffee or not and you said yes."

"No. I said 'Mm'. It's not a yes." He raised his eyebrow.

"Arasseo ! I'll never make you one !" You put on a pout.

"Aigoo. Someone's mad." Daehyun shook your body. 

"Okay. Coffee sounds good. Make me one ?" Daehyun added with his cute face.
 
"It's not working, okay ? Go make one yourself." 

"Wooww. Are you having "that" time of the month right now ?" 

"YEOBO !" you shrieked.
"Okay okay ! I'm sorry !"
"Saying sorry won't fix anything." You put on a poker face. 
"Arasseo. I'll go make your favourite tea okay ?" He backhugged you. You turned your head around and smiled. 
"Okay." 

Daehyun released his hands and got up to the kitchen to make your tea and his coffee. 

***