11

Dollmaker

“When I get all broken up, you’ll just make a new doll.” The pretty little thing sob and listening to those words just made Minho’s heart break. How could the boy ever think of such a thing? It would be impossible-more than impossible for Minho to ever make a new doll, not after Taemin. Never.

“Sweetness, that’s not true.” Minho said as he tried to reach out to wipe those streaming tears off the doll’s tinted cheeks.

“You said so yourself. You’re a dollmaker-that’s what you do.” The doll said back, pulling away from his master’s touch. The young doll never pulled away from his master’s touch. It made Minho want to cry. How could he not? His doll was crying over doubt of his love. That was the last thing he thought would never occur. He has spent day and night trying to make the doll happy. To never make the doll cry, he forgot. He forgot that he was never in full control of the boy’s emotions. Just because he had never doubted the doll’s emotions towards him does not mean the same thing would not occur on the boy’s side.

“Sweetness, I love you.” the master spoke back to his doll.His voice sounding its best to convince the doll.

“That’s because I’m all in place now.” Taemin says back.

“Would you like to see what happens if you get all broken up?” Minho asks the boy, his eyes having a small glint of anger. He wasn’t angry because Taemin was acting, he was frustrated because the boy doubted him.

“Master-“ Taemin cried out as Minho grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the dressing table. The man made a fist and punched the mirror until it shattered to pieces. His knuckles bleed and red beads of blood started to drip all over the carpet. It scared the young doll. He has never seen his master act like this since the day that horrible man Jonghyun stole him.

Minho grabbed a small piece of the shattered mirror and grabbed Taemin’s pale white arm. It almost bruised due to Minho's tight grip.

“Master-what are you gonna do?” the boy sobbed. Feeling scared and sad and it felt as though he was about to fall off the edge of a cliff.

“I want you to see what happens when you get hurt.” Minho says as he makes a small scratch on Taemin’s left arm, a little bit of blood oozing from his skin. The colour seemed brilliantly red against Taemin’s moonlight-like skin.

“It hurts master.” Taemin cried. He did not believe his master would hurt him on purpose. He supposed that's what he gets for being naughty.

“Look-“ Minho says-almost screams as he rolls his left arm sleeve. Taemin could see an exact scratch on the man’s arm, only it wasn’t only one scratch. There about a dozen of those covering his master’s arms. Making it bleed. It must've hurt his master more than the pain he felt.

“Master-“ Taemin whispered that name softly. What he was witnessing was starting to get into place.

“When you get hurt, it would only hurt me more. If you get broken, I’ll break too.” Minho says as he opens one of the drawers to the dressing table to take out a piece of handkerchief and started to wrap the small scratch he made on his doll’s arm. Ignoring his own injuries. Ignoring all the blood that was dripping from both his arms. What was a drop of Taemin's blood, is a puddle of his own.

“I-why?” the doll asks. His heart sinking.

“You don’t just own my heart, you hold my life as well.” Minho whispers as he made a pretty bow to tie the knot to the bandage on his doll's skin. He feels so sorry for what he has done but it was the only thing he could think of at the moment to convince his doll he would never make another. It was not possible. If his doll breathes his last breath, Minho would do the same. It might sound ridiculous to many, to sacrifice, to tie his own life to a doll but it was part of what he had to do to bring the doll to life. He didn't want to be lonely any longer and as of the moment he cannot comprehend how could he ever wake up every day before this without the boy by his side. The memories of his life previously was something he could no longer recall no matter how much he tried to remember. All that was in his head was his doll and only his doll.

“I’m sorry master. I’m so sorry.”

“I’m sorry for hurting you sweetness.” The elder said as he kissed the boy’s cheeks.

“I should really take care of myself from now on shouldn’t I master? I wouldn’t want to hurt you.” the younger said back.

“You shouldn’t be worried about that. I’ll take care of you.”

 

 

Kibum was shocked to hear those words coming out of Minho’s mouth from the other side of the door. Jinki too who ran towards the doll’s door when he heard the sound of glass shattering. As Jinki walked away, Kibum followed from behind. They walked until they reached Jinki’s own chambers.

“Did you know?” Kibum asks as he sees Jinki taking out a large luggage carrier from under his bed.

“No.” the man answers coldly.

“What are you doing?” Kibum asks when he sees Jinki opening the large empty luggage carrier.

“Packing.” he said wordlessly.

“Why?” Kibum asked back. With the lack of expression on Jinki's face, it was hard to comprehend what he was trying to do .

“Leaving.”

“Why would you want to suddenly leave?” Kibum asks, pulling one of Jinki’s arms.

“I almost took my master’s own life.”

“You were not any part of that.”

“I knew Jonghyun. I know what goes on in that skull of his. I could’ve stopped him.”

“Jonghyun had been punished. You know that.”

“But I haven’t. My master let me off too easily.”

“That’s because he values you.”

“I do not deserve to be here anymore. To receive any more of his kindness when I was part of something that could have taken his life away.”

“Jinki-you don’t have to do this. You-you’re a good person.”

“You out of everyone in this mansion knows how sick of a person I am. I am exactly what was of Jonghyun. We enjoyed the same trills in life.”

“Where are you going to go?” Kibum asked.

“Anywhere that would take at least a drop of this guilt away.”

 

When Minho rang his bell to call for his butler, Kibum came instead.

“I did not call for you.”

“Jinki left.” Kibum said to the master of the house.

“Why?”

“He overheard what you told Taemin. He feels guilty that he was a part of something that could have taken away your life. He feels he no longer deserves to receive any of your kindness.”

“When did he leave?”

“After he cleaned up the mess in Taemin’s room.”

“Why did you not tell me this earlier?”

“He said he would break my skull if I did.”

“Of course he would say something like that.”

 

Jinki was almost positive his master would not come searching for him. Why would he after everything Jinki has done? After all, the man was more than capable of searching for a new butler who would never do anything to risk his life. Well, knowing his master-it might take longer than anticipated. His master has always been picky with the people he lets enter his mansion. It was a surprise he let Kibum stay in the mansion-well, not that much of a surprise given that it was a request from his baby doll.

Jinki had managed to settle in a small cottage house far enough from the mansion. It was almost dark and he would rather continue his journey tomorrow given that he had not decide where to go yet. Of course, he would have to find a place where he and his dear Jonghyun had not terrorized yet. He wanted to be good. He would have to start in someplace clean so he would not be tempted to draw blood any longer.

He took off his coat and took a rest on his bed.

Suddenly the candles went out in the room. It frighteningly cold.

“You shouldn’t have left.” He heard a familiar voice. Of course-of course, it wasn’t far enough from the mansion. With everything his master could do, it would be too easy to locate where he was and get there.

“I don’t deserve any of your kindness anymore.” Jinki simply answers his master.

“It doesn’t matter what you feel.” Minho says back, his tone not really having any colour in it.

“Master-“

“Since you still call me by that name, it is obvious where you should stay.”

“Not after what I did.”

“Especially after what you did. You should spend all of what is left of your life to compensate for what you have done.”

“You must really enjoy the tea I make for you every morning.”

“Yours is my favourite.” And he smiles. And they both smile.

 

It was cold that morning and Minho woke up earlier than he had planned the night before. He woke up to his doll kissing his face all over in his attempt to wake his master up. Minho opened his eyes to the most lovely creature in his world. Those large brown orbs and pouty lips steal every single fragment of what he is.

“Master, wake up please.” The doll said in a slightly whiny tone. It was adorable to his master.

“Why sweetness?” Minho says, his voice raspy from waking up.

“I saw a pretty butterfly outside our window.” he said as he climbed to sit on the man's stomach. 

“A pretty butterfly?” Minho asks softly as he pushes away the bits of hair covering his Taemin's face..

“It was purple.” Taemin answered.

“And what about it?”

“I wanna go catch it.”

“Its five-thirty in the morning baby doll.” the man says as he looks at the clock.

“Please?” he says as he leans down to kiss Minho's chin. His doll was getting good with getting what he wants these few days.

“Sometimes I feel I should be the one calling you my master.”

“No-no.” the doll says he kisses the man's nose.

“Why not?”

“You’re the dollmaker.”

“Am I?”

“Yes, now can we please go catch the butterfly?”

 

 

the end.

 

 

 

Author's note: Thank you to everyone who has spend their time reading this piece. I know how horrible i must be to make you guys wait so long for me to update this. I truly apologize for that. i hope you guys don't unsubcribed this piece since its already completed. thank you once again for reading ,upvoting, subcribing and well just supporting this story in any way whatsover. i truly appreciate it. p/s: if its not too much to ask, please leave your lovely comments in the comment box . love you- poppykisses