1

Dollmaker

"Would you like some honey with that Master Choi?"

"Its sweet enough." the young master of the mansion spoke to his butler and utmost loyal servant, Lee Jinki. It was breakfast time and how Minho loves his cup of Earl Grey tea with his hotcakes. Jinki had always been such a good cook.

"I heard a scream last night." the boy asked Jinki who stood next to him as he poured the tea into Minho's almost empty cup. He always used the finest quality of glassware.

"I apologize for disturbing your sleep." the loyal servant said back.

"Did you have fun with the poor girl?" he asked as he took a small bite of his hotcake. He loved the chocolate sauce Jinki always made for him.

"She was -loud." Jinki said. Having a small smile tugged at the end of his lips as he remembered last night's events. Loud girls were his favourite. It made silencing them all the more satisfying.

"I hope you didn't taint the walls. Dark brown never looks good with red."

"You know how I always clean up my mess."

 

 

As he finished his breakfast, he walked into his favourite room in his mansion. His doll room where he made and kept all his dolls. Some were big, some were small but all were pretty nonetheless. It was a mere hobby at first but soon it turned into an obsession. His family was already too rich and he was bored. People were too boring for him. They were too plain for his eyes. His servant Jinki was the only person he could live with. Mostly because the man was barely human himself. Minho had always wondered what sort of life his servant really had.

He walked into the room. Hearing the taps of his shoes on the marble floors.

Seeing his most prized piece sitting in the middle of the large room. It had taken him more than he expected to complete the porcelain doll but it was worth it. Seeing how beautiful his doll was worth all those late nights staying up.

He used the most beautiful clothes he could find to dress the doll up. It took a month for his clothes to be made but it was fine for Minho. He was a very patient man.

He used the finest colours to paint the doll. Colours he had to pay the Eastern merchant three times the gold to obtain for such paint were so rare to be found.

A bloody red that made those lips look like it had been drinking sweet wine.

A feathery pink to tint those cheeks. Making it look like they have kissed by angels.

A ash-like brown to colour the hair. Hair Minho sewed strain by strain to the point that his hands bled.

A honey tinted white to colour the skin. Making it look so delicious.

A darker than black brown filled those orbs with greyish streaks.

 

Today was so bright with the sun penetrating through the clear glass windows. The birds outside were chirping. The clouds were moving. The sky was blue. It would be the perfect day to awaken his doll.

He had been so lonely lately. He needed a companion. Someone he could hold hands with and talk to . Someone that would smile at him. Someone as beautiful as his doll. All the girls mother sent to him were nothing compared to his masterpiece. Those girls were shameless and full of pretense. He needed someone untainted. Someone innocent.

All that was left to do was complete his potion. A skill his grandfather had taught before he had passed away. The Choi family had always been envied for their wealth. But what was more precious that all the gold they had was their skills. Skills to bring anything to life. Skills to turn anything into shiny jewels and gold.

The sweet-smelling liquid was already boiling. Minho could see the bubbles popping in the glass bowl.

All that was left was a single drop of red blood that seeped through his veins. Only blood belonging to the Choi family would work. A secret ingredient none knew. With a sharp needle, he pricked the end of his finger. Letting the liquid drop into the mixture from his broken skin.

He turned off the fire and let the potion settle down as he now lay his doll on the large metal bed. He carressed those pink cheeks once again before pecking those red lips. Oh how he could not wait for the doll to look at him.

The dollmaker poured the potion into a purple-glassed perfume bottle.

He walked to the sleeping doll and carefully sprayed the mixture onto the porcelain piece. Making sure that every inch of the doll was covered with the sweet potion.

It took moments for the potion to seep through the unseen holes on the surface of the porcelain doll. Moments too long for Minho to ever wait.

The dollmaker could hear whimpers of pain coming out of the doll's throat. He could see the porcelain doll breaking as it tried to move. Cracking sounds filled the room. Minho felt happy that his potion worked. He had never tried to bring anything to live before. It was the very first time he used his skills.

A loud scream penetrated the walls in the mansion. Sounds that would terrify any living creature. Minho walked towards the living doll. Cupping the doll's face. How soft the skin now felt. Those brown orbs looked into his eyes with confusion. So innocent his doll was.

 

"You're mine." he whispered to the doll.

"Yes master." his voice sounding like the most beautiful music in Minho's ears. The doll's eyelashes were fluttering at him as he accepted to be Minho's.

"You smell so sweet." the dollmaker said. Only his doll could smell sweeter than apple-candy and caramel.

"Master-" that pretty voice called him out again. His eyes still in confusion.

"A pretty doll like you should have a name." Minho said to the boy.

"As you wish master." he nodded. His head was feeling so messy and his heart beating. This tall boy in front of him was his light.

"Taemin. How do you feel about such a name?"

"I will love what my master pleases."

"Such a good boy."

 

 

 

Author's notes: how's the first chapter? *bites lips nervously*