That Forgotten Winter Day

That Forgotten Winter Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

One word comes to mind when a freezing chill in the air could be felt. It's a lot different from the air that the past season had brought because this air was piercing. Even with thick clothing that is fitting for the season, the cold would still seep into your skin and doesn't fail to numb your whole body. The trees that lined up along the street was visible upon everyone's eyes as they walk along the path, with rosy cheeks and reddened ears. The word everyone is reminded of was,

 

Winter.

 

The season of loneliness.

 

 

It was during a cold winter afternoon, when an 8-year-old Luhan went to pick up his next-door neighbor, Seol, to go ice-skating with him and his parents. The same-aged friends have been planning to go ice skating ever since that day they watched Kim Yuna's, a famous South Korean figure skater, competition on TV.

 

Luhan rang the doorbell of Seol's house and it was immediately opened for him by Seol's mother.

 

The 8-year-old boy bowed to his elderly and asked, "Ahjumma, is Seol ready to go ice skating with us?"

 

"She's been ready for almost an hour now, Luhan." Seol's mother told Luhan. "You know how much she idolizes Kim Yuna as an athlete."

 

Luhan gave his friend's mother a smile and said, "Seol really wants to be like her in the future."

 

"If our Seol would be Kim Yuna in the future, then would our Luhan be Captain Park Ji Sung?"

 

"Neh~" Luhan happily nodded, feeling proud that he was called by his favorite soccer player's name.

 

"Luhan-ah!!!" The 8-year-old Seol exclaimed when she saw her friend at the door. "Are we leaving now? Are we? Are we?" Seol asked excitedly.

 

Luhan was captivated when he saw Seol in a pretty pink coat and white stockings. Her dark-brown locks were down and curled. Seol looked like a little Barbie doll in his eyes. She was the most beautiful thing that Luhan has ever seen. Luhan snapped out of the thought and nodded. "Someone's really excited." He commented.

 

"Of course. I've been waiting for this day to come. I've never been ice skating you know."

 

"Let's go." Luhan told Seol and motions her to come outside.

 

Seol just nodded happily and went outside of their door. "Omma, I'll be back soon, okay? Don't worry too much about me. You and appa should spend the whole afternoon together, araso?" Seol ordered her mom.

 

Seol's mother just smiled at her. "Be careful, you little midget."

 

"Omma!"

 

"Come here." Seol's mother hugged her daughter as tight as she can, almost squeezing her.

 

"Omma, I'm not gonna be gone for that long." Seol said and patted her mother's back, comforting her.

 

"I love you, midget." Seol's mother said and kissed her forehead. "Take care of yourself, okay? Your Luhan oppa won't always be there for you."

 

"I love you too, omma. And pshh! Luhan's not my oppa! Ewwww. He's so immature." Seol reacted.

 

"Ya, Lee Seol!"

 

"'Ya, Lee Seol?!' How can you yell your noona's name like that?!" Seol argued.

 

"Ya!"

 

Seol's mother chuckled. The two immature kids who were born on the same year were arguing about honorific. "Stop it. Both of you are 8 years old. That means you two are friends. End of story."

 

Luhan and Seol just looked at each other and agreed with what the adult said.

 

"Go now. Luhan's parents are waiting." Seol's mom ordered.

 

"I'll be right back, okay omma?"

 

Seol's mom nodded.

 

"Ahjumma, we're leaving now."

 

"See you later, omma."

 

"Oh~ Seol-ah."

 

 

The winter season also came to EXO High. Frozen grounds, dropping temperature, chilly atmosphere and darker mornings. A legit excuse for a high school student to not go to school. These were the days when students are just not enthusiastic to go to school and do school work, but they had no choice. Especially seniors like, Luhan and Seol, since they were graduating at the end of the school year.

 

Xi Luhan had a lot of free time in his hands since soccer season was over. He would still play indoors with Xiumin and their other friends, but it's a lot different when they're outside, under a nice weather.

 

It was during lunch time when Luhan was roaming around the school looking for Seol, his childhood friend who didn't recognize him at all. Most of the students were in the cafeteria, eating their lunches, but instead of the loud room, Luhan spotted Seol in a classroom.

 

"Where is she? What's her name? I can try to help you, Luhan." Seol asked Luhan that one day he took her to the riverbank.

 

"Just try to remember. That would really help, Seol-ah."

 

Ever since that autumn day, Seol couldn't stop thinking of what Luhan said. What did he mean by 'remember'? Who was she to remember such a precious memory to Luhan? How could she help him by trying to remember something that she doesn't even have a single clue about? These questions were lingering in Seol's mind. It was like a complicated jigsaw puzzle that she couldn't even solve. She didn't know if there was missing piece to it or what, she just can't solve it. It was bothering her so much because Luhan never opened up another conversation about his childhood with her ever since.

 

Luhan knocked on the open classroom door to try and get Seol's attention. "Hmm... I wonder what she's thinking about. Math? Science? English? Xi Luhan?" Luhan talked to himself, but it was indirectly a message for Seol, who was laying on her desk, doing nothing.

 

When Seol heard the familiar voice, she immediately lifted her head up and tried to meet the intruder's eyes. "Oh, Luhan?"

 

Luhan walked inside of the classroom and sat on the seat in front of Seol's. "What are you doing here, not eating?"

 

"Ahh~ I'm just not hungry."

 

Luhan pouted his lips and nodded. "Ahh~" He took his bag off and grabbed something inside of it. "You sure you're not hungry, Seol-ah?"

 

Seol just nodded.

 

Luhan took out a bag filled with hotteok and started eating it in front of Seol. "These are so good. The taste fits the winter season very well. Delicious~"

 

Seol could not stop staring at Luhan, who was obviously teasing her with what he's eating. Seol accidentally gulped when she saw Luhan basically chewing the food to pieces slowly like he was filming a CF. Seol just looked away from the eating boy, trying to protect her pride.

 

Luhan finally had enough of the pancake and said, "Ya Lee Seol! You used to love these when we-" Luhan stopped himself.

 

"When we, what Luhan?"

 

"N... nothing." Luhan said and avoided Seol's gaze.

 

"Luhan, please tell me. I'm so confused ever since that day at the riverbank. Please tell me." Seol begged.

 

Luhan placed the bag of hotteok on Seol's desk. "Ya, from now on, go to the cafeteria and eat like the other kids, okay? I won't always be here to give you your favorite snack, Lee Seol." Luhan said and left Seol by herself in the classroom.

 

"How... how did he know that hotteok was my favorite snack?" Seol thought.

 

 

"Waaa~ hotteok! Ahjumma, ahjusshi, can you buy me one of those?" Seol asked Luhan's parents. She pointed at the street vendor who was selling the snack on the sidewalks, on their way to Seoul Square Ice Skating Rink.

 

"Sure, Seol-ah."

 

"Thank you, ahjumma, ahjusshi."

 

Luhan's parents parked the car on the street and got off to buy some snacks.

 

"What's a Hotteok, Lee Seol?"

 

"You never had one before, Xi Luhan?!"

 

"Ya, Lee Seol. I hope you're not forgetting that I'm from China." Luhan reminded her friend.

 

"Oops. I forgot. It's because your Korean is really good. Anyways, hotteok is my favorite snack! You'll see why." Seol gave Luhan a smile and looked outside the window to check on Luhan's parents.

 

Little did Seol know, the simple smiles that she would flash Luhan made his heart beat so fast, like he was running a marathon. His palms would feel sweaty and he had no idea if it was the gloves he was wearing or the nervousness he was feeling around Seol.

 

To erase the thought away, Luhan took interest on what Seol was looking at. He moved his body towards her to see outside the window as well.

 

"They're com-" Seol turned around, but found her lips against Luhan's, who was a few inches behind her.

 

The two 8-year-olds were shocked. Both of their eyes grew bigger than the normal when their lips met. Both of them moved away from each other as fast as they can. Luhan and Seol were on opposite sides of the back seat.

 

"Seol-ah~ we bought you your hotteok." Luhan's mother said when she opened the car door and went inside.

 

"Oh? What's with the two of you?" Luhan's father asked. "Did you two had a fight during those 5 minutes we were gone?"

 

"No, ahjusshi." "No, appa." Luhan and Seol both said at the same time.

 

They said first kiss was something special. It's the first so it was definitely unforgettable. A first kiss could be a kiss under the rain, a kiss with a lover, a kiss in front of so many people, a kiss under the first snow or a special kiss between lovers in a secluded room. But at the age of 8, we witnessed two innocent friends lose their so-called unforgettable first kiss to each other.

 

 

It was dismissal time and Seol was about to head home. It star

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter