Chapter 1

That Winter, My Heart Froze

 

“Youngwong, Han Youngwong.”

A nurse called after the name on the guest list that was supposed to have an appointment with the obstetric doctor. Sitting on the bench all nervous and scare, Jaejoong couldn’t shake the feeling of having to give birth just another moment away. He had been admitted into the hospital for the last two days as he was due on any days now. Changmin was always right by his side ever since the day he met him. Youngwong was the name Changmin had chosen for him. At first Jaejoong was feeling all weird and awkward being called such a name, it’s not like it’s that easy to change one name in an overnight, he took a lot more time to adjust before he finally did.

Ever since that day, he had been living with Changmin. He only thought that Changmin was just a normal adult that unluckily saw him as he was trying to kill himself but no, he was definitely wrong. Normal is the least word that should be used to describe him. The apartment where he lives is luxurious, enough to support seven people living there, with all the spacious living room, 5 rooms but been converted into various of uses, only two of the room remained as the bedrooms; the master bedroom and a guest room, the rest of the rooms are either as Changmin’s working room, library with all sort of document that even Jaejoong couldn’t tell what they are for. If Jaejoong didn’t know even better, he might had mistaken Changmin as a secret agent, worked in spying big business corporation with corruption and such before bring it to justice, or at least that an idea Jaejoong wanted to believe.  

Jaejoong’s grip on Changmin’s hand tighten as he was being strolled into the operation theater. His tummy was already big, any minute now, he would finally be able to come into face to face with his baby boy. Woonbin, that’s the name he decided to call his baby boy.

“I’m scare, but at the same time, I can’t wait to meet him, does that make any sense Changmin-ah?”

Changmin smiled and shook his head.

“No, that makes perfect sense. Don’t worry Youngwong-ah, you’ll be alright and you’ll see your baby really soon. I promise.”

Jaejoong slowly felt the anaesthetic slowly getting on the effect as his heavy eyelids, he kept on holding onto Changmin’s hand. Changmin was also present in the room as he was the only legal guardian present for Han Youngwong, the name he registered for Jaejoong at the hospital.

The procedure began. And less than 15 minutes, a cry of a beautiful baby boy filled the operation theater, sending smile into many of faces presence in the room. That day, Han Minjoong was born.      

 

4 years after…..

In a Starbucks, a man, frown was all over his face as he looking through all the documents and file regarding the new position he was assigned to, the man that was still in his youth, childish it may look like as he puffed his cheeks like a spoil child despite being dressed in a professional navy blue suit while having stacks of files, opening up to him. The content of the file wasn’t a bit that could spark his interest yet he stays reading them, reminding himself that he, Kim Jaejoong needed to do this in order to complete the task given to him by his new boss.

He sighed for the nth time, just exactly how long of these documents going to be?

He looked around the place he was at, the atmosphere there was good. The café was designed to please the customer’s mood there, even the people come and gone weren’t that many, a perfect place for Jaejoong to study the work given to him but he can’t denied the fact that he felt lonely. He wishes his little boy son was there with him, and also that person. The person who would listen to his every word and help him planned on what’s their next step.

Then the scratching sound produce by pulling the chair in front of him startles him, the man in front of him pulled the chair seat down, without even bothering to ask for his permission. He was about to complain how rude the other man was but his lips are sealed when he know who it was, relaxation came to him as he always had felt whenever the other’s presence, but couldn’t deny the anxiety between his feeling.

“Changmin? What are you doing here? Isn’t our plan was not to be seeing together? What happen if someone sees us?”

He’s eyes scanned around the room and saw nobody was paying them any attention. Everything was just like before.

“Relax. I’ve double check, no one’s following you, Jae. Maybe he just too dense to notice this yet or you just simply doing a great act, great job in that by the way.” Changmin showed him a small tine of smile, that man has a charisma of his own, his lips are able to express just as much as how his eyes did. It was more or less to a smirk though, but that was already enough to cast a calming effect on the other.  Like how a teacher is telling him that he was doing well in school.

Jaejoong put down all the papers in his hand on the table, preparing himself to pay full attention to the man right in front of him. Somehow he got this tingling of instinct that the one behind the chaos caused in the company earlier was all Changmin’s doing. He crossed his finger together as he was in his serious mood. They were always like that with one another.

“Changmin-ah, did you… the one who cause the chaos in the company earlier?”

A slight smirk escaped from the other’s lip, so Jaejoong did see through him.

“I was merely playing a prank. I wasn’t going to do anything serious out of that, but it’ll be good if it did. Just like telling him a warning before hand. He seemed to be pretty sharp though, seemingly how he managed to detect the source of the problem, to where it first leaked assumingly as you only gave him a little hint. I’m impressed. Well I guess since he was the one who created the mess in the first place.” A satisfied sigh escape from the other’s lips, seemed like he was plotting another scheme, and Jaejoong shouldn’t be too surprised about all this, he’s already see how capable the man was. They’ve been plotting this for the last four years and this was merely just the beginning. 

“You do know Min, that I trust you, right? But I would be really glad if you could give me some heads up before hand, then I would have prepared myself for the blow.” He could only see the other sly smirk escaped. “Then you wouldn’t be able to act your part so well if you’re already known what to happen. I need you to stay acting innocent in front of that person, we’ve barely done anything big yet.”

“Oh…” That was the only thing Jaejoong could altered, that man in front him is smart, there’s no doubt about it. 

Changmin got up from the seat and leave him a package. A small roughly packed package made from colorful crayon drawing. Jaejoong eyes were drawn to the object, he recognized those messy drawing from anywhere. It was from Minjoong, his 4-years-old son. Changmin’s expressions soften.

Minjoong said to give this to you the next time I meet you. He said not to peek into it, aish that kid, always with his privacy and he’s not even fourteen, for goodness sake ….  Oh and this click *camera clicking*”

A picture of Jaejoong’s expression at the moment was taken by the handy camera in Changmin’s hand. “He wanted to see your happy face when you receive his gift.”A soft smile plastered on Jaejoong’s face as he touched the gift on the table. He knows that his son has been well.

 

It has been two months since he left his son under Changmin’s care completely in order to fulfill the revenge plot that Changmin had told him on their first encountered, that he would help him went up against Jung Yunho, the man that had just dump him out of a sudden after he had given the man his everything. The man that had caused his family to disowned him, and eventually almost caused him his death if it wasn’t for Changmin who stopped him at the right time. Two months earlier, Changmin managed to heck into the Jung’s corp. system and find out any position available in that company. Just as if luck was in his side, he discovered the fact that the hot-tempered CEO, Jung Yunho just yet fired another of his chief directors in marketing. Using whatever mean necessary, Changmin made the position available to Jaejoong, manipulating few information on his work experience, position and even his name, creating a whole new identity for Jaejoong.

And Jaejoong, he wasn’t a bad of an actor himself, he managed to convince everyone around him how he knows he way around the business. 

He couldn’t forget expression the first time Yunho saw him back after those long years, or the way Yunho kept on staring at his face as if he’s seen a ghost. Even after he had introduced himself as Han Youngwong. What’s the funniest thing was after all the meeting had ended, Yunho had the ball to pull him into his office and asked him directly,

“You’re Kim Jaejoong, right? The one I used to know and date? What are you doing here Jae, what is it that you’re trying to do?”

Jaejoong only laugh it off, saying he has no idea what he was saying or was he having a day dreaming about seeing a past relationship through him? Because he could assured him that he has nothing to do with that. Standing in front of Yunho right now is Han Youngwong, a lot confident figure with undeniable charisma, sharp jaw lines with copper brown hair, nicely style. There is no way he could be the same timid, shy Jaejoong with raven haired and big doe eye, all curious and wondering. No, his gaze was now more firmly and stiff, enough to shaken all those that gaze upon him as well.   

Of course, Jaejoong had a few obstacles as he was holding the position, the biggest one was to earn Yunho’s trust in him for his capability. There were a few minor job like handling a meeting with the client, or holding up event or making a business proposal, but none of them was exactly enough to earn that sophisticated CEO’s trust. But then one day the opportunity came. The Jung corp. was order by the court for plagiarizing and would have to pay a huge amount for it. They had to hold on a board meeting and even paid up blood- lawyers to handle the case but by the look from an outsider eyes, they didn’t have any chance to win the case and it might be best for the company to just pay for the damage. It was then Jaejoong had miraculously discovered the clue that may lead to the source of the problem. A week ago, one of the staff from the strategies team was being fired due to a small mistake. Although some of the board may had not notice this but after a decision was make in the board meeting, the decision was passed on to the strategies team to figure out the next step. Firing one of the staff is a risky measure as they already knew too much about the company. Jaejoong had somehow managed to trace who exactly it was that leaked the information and the case was close. Besides saving the company’s fund by millions, Jaejoong also managed to earn Yunho’s trust. All well that’s end well.