Heartbeats

Dead lambs in the night.

A blood-curling series of high pitched giggles could be heard filling out the 5th floor as an obscure image of a young girl draped in a white overall with disheveled hair stood swaying from side to side in the aisle that was running up towards them.

The whites of her eyes were piercing through her mask, with both arms visibly hidden behind her back she begins to stride forward with small paces.

"I came to see the oppa I like so much..." She begins; trying to stifle her haunting giggles she removes one hand from her back and covers the mouth of her mask.

"W-what?" Kris turned his head around slowly with the rest of the members following, a lump could be felt wedging itself in the pits of his throats as he profusely tries to swallow down the shake in his voice.

Everyone was frozen, dead in their tracks, eyes almost mesmerized by the image of the young girl, their hearts were thudding wildly and a hand could be felt pressing down on Kris' shoulder; He turns his head around cautiously meeting the eyes of Tao whose dark circles seems darker than ever now, his fingers begin to tremble as he mutters out "We must run...”.

Yixing head darts towards Tao and then to Kris as the rest of the member stood oblivious with eyes still locked on the girl. Despite the fear searing through his body right now, Kris tries his best to subdue the shock as he carefully tugs on the sleeves of Suhos' shirt.

Suho looked at him from the side of his eye and could see the plan Kris was conjuring up, he then sends a ripple of tugs throughout the members and they begin to slowly pace back.

"Where do you think you're going?" The young girl asked from the distance.

"I came to see the oppa I like so much, you can't runaway" The monotone voice of her sent shivers down their spines as they carried on pacing back slowly, she begins to pace forward slowly too, matching with each of their steps.

"You're making me angry oppa" Her hidden arms gradually dropped from behind, revealing a large metal ice pick held tight in her right hand.

She lifts up her pick and directs it in their direction, looking closely at where she was pointing it was obvious the oppa she's been referring to was none other than Kris himself.

"If oppa runs away, I'll make sure to break everyone’s head in" She lifts the pick high swinging it from side to side as if to taunt them, she forwards towards them and their sweat could be seen streaming down their necks, they all gulp down the lump in their throat with Kris counting down under his breath...

"3...2.........1" Their bodies shifting into gear with legs ready to bolt off.

"RUN!" The squeaking of their shoes could be heard as they hastily make off as the shriek and cries of the young girl begin to soar through the floor her hurried footsteps could be heard trailing after them.

"Oppa, you made a big mistake!" Her voice still in the air as the image of her running after them played out. Kyungsoo turns his head back to look as the frightening image of the ice pick in her hands filled his eyes, his feet suddenly becomes entangled, causing him to trip over himself, he lets out a yelp and a loud thud could be heard hitting the ground with the other members quickly turning around.

"KYUNGSOO!" Yixing blurts and begins to trace back their steps quickly, with a struggling Kyungsoo in his sight he quickly bends down and grabs him around the waist hoisting him up whilst the crying and screaming of the girl was closing in.

The unsettling image of Yixing desperately trying to drag Kyungsoo away begin to play out in front of Kris, his eyes dart vigorously from them and then to her, he sees her raging footsteps and metal ice pick beginning to close in on the two.

"No..."

Kris’ ears begin to numb, as a faint ringing sound began to take over his body, paralyzed with fear he stood their dazed watching the metal ice pick slowly coming down on them like tumbling rocks.

A bewildering cry filled the air as the sight of Yixing and Kyungsoo bodies begin to fold in and hit the ground, the taunting laughter of the little girl became nothing but buzzing sounds as the bloody scene unfolded right in front of him.

No…..”

“Not this……”

Yixing still had his arms clasped tight around Kyungsoo, as he shields Kyungsoo’s collapsed body with his, his butchered back was baring a crimson red as the light shone bright on him, the ivory of his spine was completely on show and Yixing heaves and chokes on his own blood as he calls for Kris.

“K-kris…. Please….. K-Kyungsoo….” Blood spilled with each word as his emotionless eyes were rimmed with tears; with the pleading call of Yixing, Kris began to murmur quietly to himself as his lips begin to tremble violently, with shaky hands he clasps them together and shuts his eyes momentarily praying that the scene which was playing out in front of him will eventually go away….

“KRIS HYUNG!” Kyungsoo bellowed.

His eyes snapped opened, as the metal ice pick could be seen up high again, now with a subtle countdown of the little girl heard in the background, she was ready to strike Yixing in the back once more.

Yixing body was still strongly arched over a distraught Kyungsoo as he pleads for Yixing to move, his hands clasped over his own face as tears poured out through his fingers and with every plead and cry Kyungsoo made, Yixing shooked his head and refused to move.

“Please… Hyung…..” Kyungsoo’s last plea was made as he violently tries to shift Yixing bouldering body to the side as the little girls haunting countdown struck its last few digits.

“NO KYUNGSOO!” Yixing dug his fingernails into the ground, holding his body strong yet still slightly trembling with his own blood still pouring vigorously from his opened wound and with each breath Yixing took the gruesome sight of his spine inflating and deflating was all that could be seen.

“5……..4…….”

“This was it” Yixing thought.

“This is going to be the final blow that finishes me”

His eyes shut tight, and he braces himself for the impact, hoping that the ice pick would lodge into him so deep that it would be made impossible for it to be removed, so hopefully in that precious given time with the miniscule hope he had, maybe Kyungsoo and the others will be able to get away.

“3…2…..”

In that moment, Yixing felt a death-defying kick to his stomach as he was sent flying to his side, sliding around in the spacious pool of blood he created, he opens his eyes to be welcomed by the heart shaped smile Kyungsoo always flashed.

Yixing’s eyesight was out of focused for a moment as his butchered back sat exposed to the cool air, each move he made would send a flux of pain through his body.

“Kyungsoo….”

He blinks his eyes vigorously.

“Kyungsoo-ya…..”

He blinks some more.

“Kyung…..soo?”

As the focus of his eyes began to focus, the weary image of Kyungsoo laid sprawled on his back, with nothing but a smile played out in front of him, a sudden warm pool of crimson begin to fill out getting caught in the blood of his own, he flickers his eyes from Kyungsoo’s face to the now metal ice pick lodged in the hollow of his stomach.

“W….Why…. Kyungsoo..ya…you can’t do this”

Yixing voice broke and trembled as he crawled towards Kyungsoo who was laying motionless on the ground, with one hand held tight onto the impaled metal pick and the other held out towards Yixing.

The cries and scream of the little girl began to fill the hallway as she desperately tries to unlodge the pick in Kyungsoo, she screams and shouts vulgarity as she uses her feet to trample over Kyungsoo’s legs and torso.

“YOU ER LET GO”

Kicking at Kyungsoo violently who would grit his teeth in agony, the foul image before him angered Yixing greatly, he glared viciously at the girl and heaves heavily between his teeth as he pushes himself up from the ground onto both his legs, he shakily but firmly grabs the baseball bat he’d dropped not too long ago.

Yixing darts forward squinting in pain from time to time, his shoes squelched in the pool of blood as he sends a clean, heavy blow towards her head.

The loud sound of her face caving in was briefly heard for the moment, as her body froze momentarily, blood began to ooze from under her mask staining the flowery frills of her white dress, her hands drop to her side as she lets go of the grip of the ice pick which was still firmly lodged in Kyungsoo.

You…….”

Yixing falls onto one knee besides Kyungsoo’s body, using the baseball bat which was now dented to hold his weight up.

The body of the young girl began to convulse a little, as blood still poured furiously from under the mask, the whites of her eyes were nowhere to be seen now as her body fell back flat on the ground.

A moment of silent filled the air to only be disturbed by a restless Kyungsoo, who was choking on chunks of his own blood, his hands clasped his mouth tight holding back his choking cough; blood could be seen spurting from the gaps of his fingers, trickling down the side of his face and into his ears.

Yixing quickly turns around totally oblivious to the fact that he was probably dying too, his face paled and his breathing heavy, he grabs onto Kyungsoo’s top and pulled himself in closer.

“Kyungsoo ya look at me… it’s going to be okay

He laid his head flat on Kyungsoo’s chest, measuring the frequency of his heartbeat, counting each beat by the second, he shuts his eyes.

“1….” Yixing murmurs under his breath.

“2….3….4…………..5………………..6” Hands shaking now, as tears began to flow out the crevasse of his closed eyes, with the tragic reality finally sinking in, he counts Kyungsoo’s final heartbeats.

“……..7……………………………………8……………………………………”

And on that 8th beat, the 9th beat which Yixing desperately prayed for, failed to follow.

 

 


Hey guys! Sorry for the uber late update!

I promise to update more consistently from now on!

I felt like this chaptered ended quite abruptly but I'll fix it in the next chapter so don't worry!