Chapter Three: Snow Angels

The Maker

Snow had carried on overnight and when morning came the young master was more than thrilled to awake to such a scene. The soft snow flakes slowly drifting down to join the abundant piles of perfect whiteness laying on the trees and over the stables creating a perfect view of the season. A pair of hares hopped by, their small noses twitching as the snow fell and covered their furry mocha coats creating illusions of white dots and patches. As they approached the wall facing the large window of the young child's room they caught sight of the dish of carrots lay out under a bush and with a graceful hop, the two burrowed themselves into the dish demolishing every bit of their special treat.  This winter had become the first snowfall for Kai as he had spent all his past winters back in the Kim mansion in the heart of the city. During the winter, there would always be workers constantly clearing out the snow from the mansions 4 acre lot to create space for arriving guests therefore ruining his fun. However this year would be different. 

The young boy jumped out of his bed with a sly grin on his face. It was still quite early in the morning and everyone else was sure to be fast asleep. This called for an adventure as the lad slipped on his cold weather attire and carefully tiptoed out of his room. Happy that he had successfully escaped from being caught he skipped around and down the stairs unaware of the oncoming traffic in front of him. A loud gasp sent two heaps of fabric and skin down the stairs. To the young master's surprise it was the strange fire boy from yesterday's commotion. Clearly unamused and annoyed, Kai untangled himself from the latter and stood up with a frown.

"What are you doing here?" Kai snapped. His index finger pointed straight at Luhan like an angry cartoon character. 

The boy looked up at Kai with guilty and apologetic eyes. His large doe eyes blinking up resembling a lost fawn in search of it's mother. The young master shrunk back shocked that the other could make such an expression. Cute...expression. Trying to hide his blush Kai yanked his fluffy grey scarf and wrapped it tightly around the other boy.

"Well you mine as well come out into the snow with me. Theres lots today which'll be really fun to play with." 

Luhan slowly the soft material and followed the other boy outside curious to see what the wintery weather had in store for the day. 

Throughout the day, the untouched snow became snowmen and snowwomen, forts and snowballs and even snowangels. The two boys fumbled around laughing and screaming as they pelted each other with fluffy snow. Kai had taught Luhan everything there was to playing with snow and Luhan gladly learned from the young master. Eventually, the day came to a close and the boys were speedily ushered into the house; ears bright red from the cold. But they paid no attention to it. The smiles on their faces and their two hands clasped together tightly signifying the new bond they had formed. Kai bounded about excited that Luhan had become his new best friend. The anger he had held the previous day due to Luhan injuring his hand had dissapeared into nothing. For the rest of the day, Kai never let go of Luhan's hand.

Children were sure innocent and easy to connect with. Kai and Luhan quickly became closer than any other pair of friends; relying on each other for all matters and problems they both faced. Although Luhan continued to hold fear from his past, Kai's comfort would continuously shelter and calm him from the pain. At the same time, Luhan ceased use of his mysterious powers as he no longer felt the need to show them. Just like that, one snowy winter bonded two boys for many years and as time flew, the Kim family had accepted Luhan as one of their own sons. 

------------- 7 years later ------------------

"Luhan Kim!"

A loud voice traversed throughout the academy courtyard earning curious looks from students passing by. The voice belonged to a handsome man in his late teens dressed in a pea coat and fresh slacks. Despite his english wear, his features belonged to the east with slant thick eyebrows and beautiful toned skin. As he walked past a group of girls, he sent them a subtle wink earning squeals from the excited bunch. To the end of the garden was a wooden bench and on it sat a male with dainty eyelashes and pale skin. Before him was a book: "Anne Of Green Gables" As he turned a page, a slight breeze would dance by sending his dark brown locks flying back but instead of patting them back, the latter had already done it for him. 

"Kai. What are you doing here?"

"I'm visiting you. I'm on school break, remember?"

"School break? You're just ditching class aren't you..."

"Hah, no I'm not."

"It's not my fault you didn't make it into the honours class. Maybe you should just study harder next time instead of skipping your courses."

"Honestly, I just hate world history with a burning passion. Don't you?"

"Enough. Go back to your class and leave me alone."

"So harsh Lu, I think my heart just broke."

Luhan sighed with a faint smile. Between the two, he had won the upper hand in studies but Jongin had won the popularity contest. It didn't matter which gender; female or male. Everyone was infatuated with Kai Kim, the beautiful Asian aristocrat from a very foreign country.  Luhan was just his shadow; the unapprochable adopted brother of the golden boy who smiled at everyone on behalf of his family name. At times, the constant comparison was unbearable for Luhan. Afterall, all the girls went after Kai as love interests and went after him in jealousy of him receiving all of Kai's attention. It was subtle at first, just snide remarks and glaring but soon, there were ripped textbooks and constant shoving and pushing during break. Luhan had been a tender boy since he was a child, and he bruised very easily which made the constant bullying extremely discomforting for him. What was worse wasn't the fact that he couldn't tell Kai, it was the fact that Kai somehow knew but did nothing about it. On top of it all, he had no friends. No one wanted to associate with him, they all rathered Kai's company. During their elementary years, rumours had spread that he was a mistress' son or a freed slave from the slave market. No matter how Kai tried tell other's of their brotherhood, only a few believed and the rest would ignore the truth.

After Luhan finally swatted Kai away, a group of girls stomped towards his wooden bench; each girl sporting the same envious expression. The middle blonde, Addy Brooks paid no attention to her surroundings. With wild eyes and a furious expression, she reared back and sent a blazing high five right to Luhan's left cheek. Luhan didn't even have time to react. The impact sent him flying out of his bench and onto the grassy sidewalk; his cheek missed the grass and hiting the hard concrete. The teen felt the heat rise to his cheeks as passing students stared and whispered to each other. As he propped himself up with much difficulty, Addy began to speak.

"Who do you think you are talking to Prince Kai like that?! Stop being rude and get back into your place."

Many girls in the city and created the name Prince Kai as his popularity rose up to those in the royal family.

"You don't even live with him, what would you know?"

Oh no. He had spoken too much. Addy's cheeks flared pink hearing Luhan's snide comeback.

"EXCUSE ME? DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU'RE TALKING TO? I AM THE ONLY DAUGHTER OF THE BROOKS FAMILY YOU UNGRATEFUL ."

Her arm reared back for another punch but before she could force it down, another arm had caught hers. Addy turned back surprised to see the intervention was no one other than Yuna Abbey. Her expression changed immediately from anger to utter horror and fear. 

"Yuna! Hello! I was teaching Luhan a lesson. Kai is his master and yet he can't even treat Kai with respect?"

"Kai is not Luhan's master, you are not in the place to be speaking to a Kim like that. Luhan has always been a son of the Kim family. Apologize."

"A-apologize?"

Addy spluttered, the red colour on her cheeks deepened as she registered the words of the most beautiful lady in the school. Without another word, she whipped around and stumbled out of sight. The rest of her clique following with their heads low.

Yuna turned back and sat down next to Luhan with an exasperated sigh. Luhan by now, had dusted himself off and sat back down on the bench. A line of red flowed down from the left side of his forehead yet the deer eyed fellow paid no attention. 

"Luhan. If you can't even protect yourself from these useless beings, the you are not fit to be Jongin's friend."

Luhan's eyes grew glassy as he heard those harsh words. If he fought back, his strange powers were sure to re-manifest and soon everyone would know of his monster abilities. 

"I'm sorry Miss Yuna. I will be sure to avoid this situation next time."

Yuna turned back with a curt smile. 

"You shall Luhan. You shall."

As she got up to leave, Luhan stood up as well bidding her farewell but before she got out of his sight, a string of frightening words left .

"Jongin and I are to be married next month. You should stop interfering. I know you like him."

Luhan froze. 

How did she know?

Author's note: 2 years later. I apologize. This stories been cooking in my head for a long time and I needed to reorganize plot lines while going through regular school work. Please enjoy!