Chapter One: Red Wine

The Maker

1924 ~ Winter 

 

"Kai, where are you teatime is about to start and your fathers here to visit. You can't possibly disobey your father!" A beautiful black haired woman called about. The tresses of her rose pink dress trailing around her as she wandered about in the snow covered garden. A cold breeze blew by making the young woman shiver in distress. With another exasperated call, the mistress defeatedly retreated back into the back door of the large oak cottage. 

At the same time, a young boy around the age of 12 crawled out from the horse stables. From the pocket of his navy blue coat he drew out a sugar cube treating the chestnut brown mare for quietly hiding her master. The mare, named Ginny happily accepted the cube with a snort of thanks to her owner and carried on attempting to eat the snow trailing down from the stable roof. With a grin, the little brown haired boy jumped about with a victorious hoot, happy that he had escaped his mothers clutches of having to attend teatime. Stupid teatime. The boy absolutely detested it. Sitting like a sitff doll for 2 hours while daintily sipping tea, not being allowed to eat the sandwiches reserved for guests and being nice to his mother's friend's daughters was not his idea of fun. And he hated it when his mother would call him by his english name Kai. He wasn't even a slight bit british, afterall he was a full blooded korean from the very start only having to migrate to London under his father's job. But because of his birth taking place in London, he and the rest of his family had been forced to adapt to the ways of the english men. The lad uncomfortably tugged at his stiff blue coat, wrinkling his nose at the discomfort of the scratchy wool and the bulkyness in his trousers. He long wished for a what he used to wear as a child for the traditional korean clothing gave much more freedom in movement and comfort. At least he had his warm tolerable boots made by his grandma before she'd left back to Seoul. Before the younger one could even pounce another step a large hand firmly pushed his shoulder from behind sending the surprised latter sprawling onto the snow.

"Father! What'd you do that for?"

"What else am I doing? Punishing my son for not seeing his own father."

"But teatimes boring, I don't want to wear uncomfortable english clothes and listen to mother gush about stupid things."

"Jongin it's only the beginning of it, you know we have to discuss your marriage soon anyways mine as well get started. Besides Anne Abbey's half korean daughter, Yuna is here on a visit. You always wanted a blood related friend didn't you?"

"I'm not getting married father, I'm only 12."

"Son, i'll have you know that I married your mother when I was 16. Now run along now unless you want to get pelted by my snowballs!"

The man at 37 but young at heart suddenly reached down for a pact of snow and hurled it at his son leaving his face strewn wet with melted snow. The young boy screamed at the sudden attack and did the same instead this time aiming the snowball at the back of his father's head. His father then with a chuckle ran forward and pick his son up carrying him over his shoulder and began making his way back into the warm cottage. Both father and son b with tears from laughing in the cold.

"Mr. Kim, I do not recall telling you to go outside and drench my son in this cold weather nor did I tell you to drench yourself!"

"Oh honey it's alright to have some fun, he's a young boy afterall cooping him up and forcing him to attend boring tea events would kill him in no time."

"How can you say that, sometimes I question myself why I even married a man like you. Maids would you please go and clean Kai up, and please bring a new dress shirt for my husband as well."

"Lets call him Jongin, we're at home anyways." 

"We're in London now Seung-Ah, it'd be better to stay as close to the british as possible."

"You are quite the social butterfly aren't you?" 

"Says the Minister of Public Relations." 

"Alright, lets get back quickly the guests are waiting. Yuna has come to visit make sure Jongin looks absolutely dashing by the time the maids are done."

After quite an amount of effort, Kim Jongin finally flew down the stairs in a white dress shirt, and dark brown pants, with a slightly wrinkled navy blue bow tie nestled at his neck and graced his presence at the tea table. His mother spotting his hair of place quickly attempted to hide her look of dismay but seeing the content on the guests faces over her cute sons wittiness quickly brushed her discontentment away. 

"Your son is looking quite dashing as always Mrs. Kim."

"Why thank you Mrs. Abbey, you know I try to keep him under control despite his growing desire to run out all over the place." 

"Oh well it's natural for boys to be more playful afterall my Yuna doesn't really do anything but stay home and read under the covers. It drives me absolutely bonkers, I can't even get her to leave the room and admire the beautiful snowfall outside."

"Yuna seems like shes such a virtuous young lady, it would be wonderful for her to help tame Kai and his bad manners and habits....Speaking of why don't you show Yuna around the cottage, I'm sure shes curious about where your room is."

"That'd be lovely if you could young gentleman!"

The two mothers completely unaware of the irritation building up in Kai's mind shuffled the two young children out of the tea room and ushered them out into the main hallways leaving them both side by side fully uninterested in each other. Kai however was not going to let this opportunity past. He'd always wanted a brother to play with but with both his parents too busy to even think about raising another Kai that option was clearly unavailable so why not play with Yuna then? This glassy eyed pale skinned doll was sure to have a mischevious side. 

"Hey, you wanna play hide and seek?"

"Whats hide and seek?"

Kai could not believe his ears, what kind of 12 year old child doesn't know what hide and seek is? He uncomforatbly shifted from side to side.

"Well its basically a game where one person tries to hide around the house and the other person has to find him...or her."

Yuna looked at Kai quizically as if he was a crazy savage but her expression quickly changed to curiosity and perhaps even a hint of playfullness.

"Okay so do you want hide, or should I hide?"

Kai grinned. This was going to be so much fun, especially since he'd been recently exploring the cellar downstairs and it seemed like a great place to hide.

"Well since you're new to this game I'll let you be the one who finds me and after we can switch roles."

Yuna agreed with a small smile on her face, softening her features and even making her seem kind of...cute? Kai blushed but quickly spun around and ran off in the opposite direction.

"The boundaries are I'm only hiding downstairs!" He called before turning the corner and leaving Yuna standing there alone in her short violet dress.

After slowing to a walk Kai suddenly remembered he hadn't shown Yuna around the house yet, therefore rendering her position to find him a lot harder. He felt as if he should return and tell her where is where but his purging curiosity to search for a hiding spot in the cellar room got ahold of him and soon he was at the big wooden door to the cellar. With a tip of his finger the door spread open with a loud groan. Kai snickered to himself and scuffled down the stairs creating a rythmic tap with his feet as they hit each wooden step. Once he got to the base it was pitch black but that did not stop him, the boy was almost as good as fearless himself. He walked about carefully at first aware that his father had kept all the families hundred year old wines in here thus why it was a cellar to begin with. The boy took each step with caution as he made his way around using the walls for support when suddenly he felt his foot make contact with something. A cat? Who would be batty enough to place a cat in a pitch black room? He slowly bent down to feel the object when a sharp gasp escaped from the other end. Kai jumped back with a scream knocking over something in the process. It came down with a loud shatter of glass and liquid began to run up Kai's trousers, all of a sudden a light came on and Kai was astounded. The dim light was not very bright however it was fully clear to his eyes that he was not the only human in the room. Across from him sat a thin asian boy around his age, with dark brown hair and pale skin and doe brown eyes. The boy let out a defensive whimper as if to ward off Kai from approaching him. But Kai was really in no shape to approach, both his eyes were shockingly glued to the sparks of light emitting from the boy's hand not burning the skin one bit. 

"H-how, who are you?" The boy with his trousers soaked in red wine whispered. 

 

Chapter one & the protagonists are revealed. I hope you enjoyed it, please forgive my grammar mistakes as I am quite tired from dance practice right now ;A;