Chapter Two: Past

The Maker

"H-how, who are you?"

His father had never mentioned a guest staying over, let alone in the cellar where only wine should be. The doe eyed boy let out a defensive hiss and picked up a glass shard pointing it menacingly at Kai. But the young master payed no attention to the latter's defensive gesture. He was however insanely shocked at the buzz of light sprouting out from the boy's hand. Kai looked at the child up and down. He seemed pretty normal, no webbed hands, weird markings or claws, he definitely wasn't any of those mythical creatures his tutor had once talked about in the books. He probably is just as human as he is. The boy might've been from some circus illusionary act and was brought in by his father as an act for the Christmas celebration next week. Under the Kai's quick deduction that it was an illusion, he decided it would only be right to ruin the boys trick on trying to trick him. With a quick swipe he grabbed the boys hand of fire only to receive a shot of burning pain. The doe eyed child retreated back defensively with a shocked look on his face. Although the boy was already 12 but much less mature for his age, he jumped back and began to cry in both pain and surprise. His cries echoed through the cellar as the boy gripped his hand in agony alarming both the latter and his father who had heard the sudden cry from above. 

"You're a monster! You're a horrible person. You hurt me!"

Echoes of footsteps could be heard as Kai loudly accused the other child who'd shrunk back in both fear and guilt. He lowered his eyes occasionally glancing back at the other with apologetic eyes. Kai's cries ceased quickly as he heard the footsteps and he quickly realized that he had broken one of the Kim families hundred year red wines. In effort to hide his mistake he quickly shoved the broken pieces with his foot toward the frightened boy with and glare and wiped his tears in effort to hide his sniveling. Soon Kai's father had appeared striding with a oil lamp with a face of both worry and concern. As Mr. Kim saw the pale child next to his own son his expression quickly became a look of both surprise and guilt.

"What on earth is going on, Jongin-Ah are you alright?"

"I was just trying to find a hiding place in the cellar and then he scared me and broke the wine bottle and look! He hurt me!"

Mr. Kim sighed at the two children sitting side by side. He bent down and accessed the damage of Kai's injury. 

"You'll be alright Kai. Make sure your mother doesn't find out. Go up and get cleaned up and ask the maid to dress your wound."

"But father he hurt me! You have to punish him!" 

"Alright alright Kai. I'll talk to him myself, now please go and clean yourself up before your mother gets worried. Luhan, you follow me."

The young master stood up giving another glare at the shivering child before galloping back up the stairs to the main hall. As he reached the stairs he suddenly remembered. Hide and seek with Yuna. He gasped at the time that had passed without thinking about that, Yuna was sure to be angry with him. He flew to the tea room relieved to find Yuna sitting back next to her mother quietly sipping her tea. Before he could leave to go change, his mothers sharp eyes had noticed him peering in through the crack of the door. 

"Kai come here right now. Do you understand how rude it is of you to leave Yuna by herself in order to please your own desires come apologize right now." 

"Ah mother sorry I had a stomachache so I had to take a trip to the washroom. I'll just change my shirt in hurry and I'll be right back. Mrs. Abbey I apologize for my rude actions, I really didn't mean to leave Yuna all by herself." 

"Of course, that's alright Kai. I understand."

"Oh Mrs. Abbey I really don't know what to say..."

"Not at all your son seems very gentlemanly I don't know whats still bothering you Mrs. Kim."

"Mrs. Abbey you are flattering me to the limit."

"Not at all..."

Kai quickly whisked up the stairs and ran into his room to the set of clothes that lay on his bed. Being the mischevious and playful young boy he was it was always necessary for the maids to lay out extra sets of clothes to address his daily outings and escapades from the cottage. The pain of the burn was beginning to rest deep into his hand. The boy grimaced as he stripped off his clothes to change into the fresh ones leaving his wine soaked clothes in a heap on the table. He slowly walked into the bathroom and settled down on the chair in front of the sink glancing over at the burn now puckered and raw like a ruler slashed accross his left hand. Running it under the trickling water, Kai fought himself not to let his tears run from the pain, but the water somehow helped soothe the burn at the same time. Soon after the maid arrived with a first aid kit to dress his injury, fussing over how Kai should be careful not to play with the furnaces down in the cellar. The young master just nodded careful not to let any of the truth out to the maid. The burn salve helped a lot and Kai feeling good as new flew down the stairs to the tea room charming the Abbeys with a navy dress shirt and black slacks, and of course Kim Jongin's signature cute smile leaving even Yuna a bit flustered. He settled next to his mother and began munching on a cookie careful not to expose the injury hidden under his long sleeve. 

"Kai is truly such an attractive young man, wouldn't you agree Yuna?" 

"I agree so mother." 

"It would be wonderful if they could get together in the future Mrs. Kim."

"Of course of course, we've been having this talk since the birth of your daughter Mrs. Abbey. It would be an honor for her to teach our Kai some ettiquete." 

"Mother I'm too young for this."

"Now now Yuna you're both turning 13 next year, time passes by quickly and you already told me how much you like Kai?"

Kai had to almost restrain himself from spitting out the scottish biscuit. Yuna fancied him? He could almost jump up and run away from embarrassment but alas, he would then die under his mother's hands. He carely examined Yuna's rosy blush slowly spreading outward on her cheeks, her long eyelashes blinking repeatedly as she shyly glanced upward to him. the young master looked away in embarrassment as both mothers admired the young love between their two children.

Mr. Kim carefully guided the doe eyed boy back to his study careful not to expose him to the maids who were busy hustling and bustling around the cottage preparing for the Christmas celebration the following week. They entered the room filled with books and strewn papers all over the desks and chairs due to Mr. Kims busy job rendering little space for them to sit but after a few waves of Luhan's hand. The books and papers began to move up and settle in neat piles on a table. It was very breathtaking to watch as Mr. Kim clearly impressed with Luhan's abilities gestured for him to sit in front of the now clean desk. The latter sat down shakily, his glassy brown eyes clearly showing his inside guilt and fear for accidentally injuring the master's one and only son. 

"Luhan are you alright?"

"Mmm."

"Show me what really happened."

"Hmmmm."

"Don't worry nothing will happen to you."

"Mmmmm..."

Luhan held up his right hand hesitantly and with a flick of his finger a hologram like screen appears and the events of the early afternoon replay right before Mr. Kim's eyes. Kai bounding into the cellar searching for a hiding spot. Kai discovering Luhan and breaking one of the wine bottles in the process. Kai's impulsive actions and therefore hurting himself and sobbing over the pain and Mr Kim's entry. As it all plays through Mr. Kim chuckles with an amused expression at his sons snarkniness loosening up the tension held in Luhan's frame. However after the screen dissapears in a cloud of smoke the master of the house turns back to Luhan with a serious expression giving the pale child a sympathetic look.

"Well first of all, my sons a crybaby but he tries to hide it."

Luhan tries to smile a little but his first impression of the young master was no where near how he'd thought he would be. 

"Luhan you can't stay in the cellar anymore. I know it's much more comfortable for you but all the dust and pallor won't do you any good. You know my wife is open to your stay and now that Jongin has found you out there really is no more reason for you to stay in there." 

The thin boy whines in protest but dares not go past knowing that he must follow the master's expectations.

"However, that also means that you must be careful to the point of death that no one in this house other than myself, my wife and Kai know who you really are. I will be only selecting one or two maids to look after your well being. Meals will be taken in your room and you are to stay in your room only. I will have things for you to do and learn so do not leave without my consent. I understand well that I am being harsh but for your safety Luhan. You are just as important as my own son Kai." 

Luhan almost bursts out in tears at the words of him being just as important as his son. In his whole entire existance never has he ever felt this loved and cared for.

- flashback - 

The loud cries of agony are heard from the very end of the hallwall. In the darkroom lay a small boy no younger than 12 and four older men holding devices and expressions of torture. 

"If you don't give us what we want we can rely on this then." 

The sound of a whip is heard, as it makes contact with the flesh of the child bringing unbearable pain to his psyche. He closes his eyes trying to imagine the light, the fresh air and beautiful skies. The beautiful wild flowers that grew along the pathway. His mother. 

*CRACK*

The child lets out a whimper as the four politicians smirk at the youngers persistance.

"You're a strong little shrimp are you? Well lets see how much stronger you can get?"

The series of whips become louder and faster and the child not sure how much he could bear longer raised his hands in a silent apology to his dead mother and with a wave of his hand, a  couple of sacks appears they all hit the four men right square on their heads. 

"Ouch. That hurt! I'll get you, you insolent boy."

"Wait, Allen look isn't this-"

"Gold bars! They're gold bars, we're rich!"

"I knew this boy would do it wouldn't you laddy?"

"He's quite the useful we must keep him."

"These pounds will surely help us get next to the Prime Minister won't sure."

"Sure, sure. Let's go count em' Don, clean this child up for us and toss him in the dungeon."

But the boy heard none of this as he was long gone into his dream of wild berry jam and daisies. 

When he had finally regained conciousness he was in the bottom floor of a cellar facing a concerned looking man with asian features. Due to his previous experiences, the boys first reaction was to get up and escape but the man held the boy down firmly sympathetically soothing the thrashing boy. 

"I won't hurt you, I won't hurt you please stop moving your wounds will reopen."

The boy too busy drowning in his recent trauma thrashed and thrashed until he felt his body go weak and he limply fell to the side unable to fight any longer. 

Waking up again, he'd realized the man was no longer there but a tray was left filled with delicious foods and the boy suddenly felt extremely hungry and he quickly gobbled up everything in a hurry. It was then when he noticed the man from before crouching next to him with a look of concern. His head felt much clearer than yesterday and the man's words of worry still echoed in his head so he sat accross with his arms clasped around his legs and stared at the man carefully. 

"Are you feeling better now?" 

"Mmmm."

"I'm glad. You're safe here. My name is Kim Seung, I am the negociations director. I have a wife and a son. What's your name?" 

"Hmm..."

"Do you not have a name?"

"Mm."

"Let's give you a name then....How about Luhan? I always like that name, I heard it once from a chinese merchant and it sounded really pretty."

"Lu- han."

"You can say your own name, that's wonderful now instead of staying in this rickety old cellar let's bring you up."

"No."

The boy grabbed the masters arm with a look of panic. He had no intention to go anywhere, he felt quite safe in the cellar, it was his home now. Mr. Kim knowing the look of fear in the child's eyes nodded in understanding.

"Alright. I'll let you stay here Luhan."

The boy held his hand palm up towards the man and suddenly a hologram like image appeared and played back everything the boy had went through in the torture room. By the end of the memory the boy was shaking and sobbing and the man feeling incredibly pitiful for the young boy envelopped him into his own arms calming the boy down.

"Thank you for showing this to me. I'll make sure you're in good hands Luhan." 

-end flashback-

Author's note: chapter 2 down! I actually wrote half of it earlier this morning but I accidentally forgot to save it and to my misery I wasn't able to revive it but thankfully I remembered some of it. Enjoy this chapter! And if you're not content with the idea of (children) Lukai, don't worry they'll grow up super quick (-: Again please excuse my mistakes and grammatical errors. Please comment btw, I'd love to hear what you think about the story in general as well as any suggestions for the next ongoing chapters.