[A] ffinity

Fate's Call

Chapter 4: [A]ffinity

Choi Min Ho.

This man suddenly appeared in front of my door at the therapy centre.

“Can I come in?” He asked in a low mellow voice, which sounded familiar, though I could not identify it immediately.

I nodded my head, dazed and stunned, due to his unexpected appearance.

“Did something happen to Min Eun?” I asked upon recovering from my momentary shock.

Min Ho hesitatingly nodded his head.

“What?” I pressed him to tell me.

“She is leaving for Japan today.” Min Ho spilled the beans.

I heaved a sigh of relief and chortled, “I thought she had met with another mishap or something unfortunate had happened. I am so glad that she is just moving on.”

“She asked me to pass this to you, in appreciation of what you did. She mentioned writing letters to you after she had reached Japan as well.” Min Ho passed me a pink envelope.

I opened it and a pretty pair of dangling earrings fell out, with a short note. I read the note first:

“Dear Yeong Lin, you have been a great help. Thank you so much. This is just a little treat from me too. Since my brother said he had to see you for some personal problems, I asked him to pass this gift to you on my behalf. I will be flying off to Japan today. I know it seemed rushed and so abrupt, but, it is not. Actually, I had been planning to retire from the triad, and visit Japan for recreation from a long time ago. I do not crave for the bloody life as a triad leader. Do take care of yourself and check your mail box, I will be writing you letters. Thank you once more!

PS: I think Min Ho is smitten with you. Be careful! XD

With love
Choi Min Eun”

My heart leaped as I turned to eye Min Ho.

“I think Min Ho is smitten with you.” This sentence was repeating itself in my mind.

In actual fact, to have someone as attractive as Min Ho to be smitten with an ordinary plain Jane like me, I should feel honoured and special. However, somehow, I was just afraid and could only feel dread pump through my veins.

I had suffered because of love and I was not ready for it. In addition, I had only met Min Ho twice, including now, and had received those menacing glares from him, which sent chills down my spine.

The earrings helped to soothe my nerves as I scrutinised them. They were dangling earrings with small blue shiny sapphires. The pair of earrings was simple yet elegant, perfectly to my flavour.

“Yeong Lin?”

I turned my attention to Min Ho. Just hearing my name being called out from his lips was scary to me; it was similar to a student who had forgotten to do her homework and then being called out by the teacher.

“Yes?” I prompted.

“Can I ask you a personal question?” Min Ho’s big black eyes bore into mine.

“Yes.” I allowed him to ask his question.

“Have you just been dumped by a jerk?” He sat up straight, and asked me directly, without any qualms.

I let out a gasp and my eyes widened. I guessed my mouth had formed a big oval shape as well.

On the contrary, Min Ho revealed a mischievous smile and his eyes sparkled with amusement, “I guess your answer must have been a ‘Yes’ then.”

“Oh my God!”

I thought aloud, unknowingly, and smacked my forehead twice before exclaiming, “You are that Mr Nice Stranger!.”

This time, his smile broadened into a grin, and then a smirk.

Life was indeed full of coincidences and the world was really small.

-

E N J O Y ! = ]

th1rd3ye