Chapter 4

Glass Shards

 

“Micha! Look, I’ve done my homework.” Hongbin cheerfully hands a pile of papers to Micha. “For the last time, Hongbin, give it to the teacher, not me.” Micha sighs as the two walk down the crowded hallway. “Hey guys!” Someone suddenly came in between them. “What do you want now, Hyuk?” Hongbin sighed. “Nothing. But look at this cool text I got from the girls.” Hyuk brings out his cellphone.

“A phone? Hyuk, where the heck did you get that? I have no memories of giving any of you a phone.” Micha looks over at him. “Umm…well…Hongbin has one too!” “Umm…yeah, about that…we saw a lot of people use them so we thought that we should have one too.” Hongbin tried to explain. “You know, I’m not even going to ask how you got them.” Micha sighs. “How do you guys even know how to use them?” “Hongbin taught me how.” Hyuk grinned. “It wasn’t really that hard, Micha, to work out how to use it.” Hongbin smiles proudly to himself.

“Okay, so what was it you wanted to say, Hyuk?” Micha changed the subject. “The girls said they want to meet me in front of their class since they wanted to give me something. Isn’t this exciting? I’m actually popular and likeable here.” Hyuk smiled gleefully. “Likeable but not popular. Hyuk, just because a group of girls from your class likes you doesn’t make you popular.“ “Oh shut up, Hongbin. Like you’re popular yourself.” Hyuk mumbles grumpily.

Just then, a group of girls pass them.  “Hi Hongbin!” One of them smiles at him. “Oh hi…you’re Kyungmi, right? Cho Kyungmi.” Hongbin recalled. “Oh my gosh! You know my name?” She grinned. “Uhh…yeah, you gave me your number yesterday, remember?’” “Oh yeah! Heehee, forgotten about that! Say, do you want to eat lunch together?” She looks back at the two girls behind her whose eyes seemed to gleamed. “With…the three of you?” “Yep!”

Without an answer, Hongbin was forcefully dragged down the other way of the hall. Micha gave him a signal that it was okay. “I can’t believe it!” Hyuk’s mouth gaped open. “How did Hongbin get so popular anyways? What, is it just because he looks good? “ Hyuk pouted. “Screw it, all the girls that like him are Korean. At least I get to be liked by a group of foreign girls instead. I don’t even care if I don’t understand half the words they say.” Hyuk stomps off before Micha could reply. Micha was now alone.

Yet she smiled softly to herself. It has only been a couple of weeks since their first day and look at them now. They’re fitting right well in. They’re school life has been a major success. A lot better than hers, that is.

“Hey, Micha!” A voice greeted her. “Oh hi, N. What’s up?” She smiles at him. “Nothing much. I was just walking around when I spotted you. Oh and I saw Hongbin getting dragged down the hall and was that Hyuk with you before?” N looks around. “Oh right…well I’m just about to put my books in my lockers first. You should go to the canteen first. Its lunch time, right/” Micha told him. “Hmm? No, it’s okay, I’ll wait for you-“

N was suddenly cut off by a pair of hands on his shoulders. “Guess who? Hello Hakyeon! Oh, and hi Micha!” A voice screamed, shocking N. “Oh, H-hi Chaehee.” N catches his breath. “You two! Let’s go have lunch now.” She grinned before pulling on them both. “Woah, wait, I still need to put my goods in my locker!” “You can do that later, let’s just go now.” Chaehee drags the two down the hallway as if they were nothing but ragdolls. “What’s with the rush?” N asks. “I’m hungry!” Chaehee exclaims without even looking at them. “Ugh…fine..” Micha sighs.

The three made their way to the canteen where they sat down with their trays of food. “Huh? You’re not going to eat?” Chaehee looks at N who sat down without anything. “Huh? It’s okay, I’m not hungry.” N smiles politely back at her. “What? Honestly, I’ve never seen you eat before.” Chaehee gives N a look of suspicion. “Huh! Could it be! You’re…” Chaehee gasped as her eyes widened. 

N looks at her nervously. His eyes also widened.

Oh no, don’t tell me she knows I’m a doll. This was supposed to be a secret.

“You’re-“

“No, I am not a doll!”

“-on a diet!”

The two look confusingly at each other. “You’re…what?” Chaehee looks confusingly at him. “Umm….it’s not true. I’m not a do- I mean, I’m not on a diet…it’s just that I prefer eating after school. There’s this café I like to go to after school.” N tries to cover up. “Oh. Okay…but we always go home pretty late…like nearly dinner time.” “Oh, well…yeah, I…” N scrambles to think of a good story. Micha laughs softly to herself. “Hey Chaehee, what are you doing this weekend?” Micha tried to change the subject. “Oh, this weekend…?” Chaehee starts thinking. N gives Micha a small smile for getting him out of it. “Well, have you forgotten?” Chaehee looks back at her best friend. “Huh?” “The party.” “What party?”

Chaehee sighs. “How could you possibly forgot? The party this Saturday night! It’s like…the school’s biggest party ever to happen yearly!” Chaehee exclaimed. “Oh…that party. Well don’t blame me for forgetting, I’m not usually interested in these things, remember?” Micha says as she continues eating. “Puh-leeaassee. Not interested? More like not invited.” Chaehee rolls her eyes. “I wouldn’t come even if I was invited.” “Really? Hahaha, if you say so.” Chaehee laughs. “Plus, I heard your sister’s hosting it. She has to invite you.” She continues on. “Chaehee, that’s what you said last year…and the year before.” Micha rolls her eyes. “Well, it’s important to keep traditions alive, right?” Chaehee smiles cheekily.

“Don’t worry, Micha…if you want, we can just hang out together and watch movie at my house…like last year.” Chaehee softens her eyes. “You went to the party without me last year.” “That was only for testing it! I just wanted to know what it was like from curiosity.” “You sneaked in with some of your friends…you weren’t even invited.”

“Hahaha, oh yeah, now I remember!” Chaehee goes back to laughing. “Well you were the one who refused to come with me.” “Chaehee, I can’t possibly sneak in like that…plus my sister would kill me.”

“Okay, okay, we get it.” Chaehee giggles as she stood up. “Come on, let’s go before we’re late for class.” “Oh right! We should go now.” Micha quickly stood up and scrambles away. “Micha don’t forget your books!” N chases after her. “Oh right, thanks N.” Micha  turns back and smiles at him. She takes her books before running down the half empty hallway.

“Hey, Hakyeon…” Chaehee calls out for N. N turns back to be greeted by an apple flying his way. He quickly catches it. “You should eat. You’ll need all the energy you can get for the classes or else it’ll be hard for you to concentrate. There’s nothing nice about studying with an empty stomach, right?” Chaehee tells him calmly. “Oh right…thanks Chaehee.” N smiles back at the girl. “Well, see you later.” Chaehee waves at him before walking off. “And remember! You don’t need a diet!” She calls out causing N to pout. “For the last time, I’m not dieting!”

 

The day passes by with nothing much happening until it eas time for the six to head home.

 

“Hey guys, have you seen Hyuk?” Micha looks around. “Nope. He disappeared at lunch. I haven’t seen him since then since we don’t take the same subjects.” Ken shrugs. “I’ll go find him.” Leo sighs softly before walking away. “Make sure you don’t bring him back limb by limb like the last time.” N calls out but it seemed as if Leo completely ignored him. “I’ll come with him just to make sure.” Ravi sighs too before running after Leo. “Make sure he doesn’t rip your limbs off either.” Ken laughs as he calls out for Ravi. “Yeah! It’s tiring you know, to sew you guys back into one! One doll will already take hours, so don’t make me stay up all night.” Micha also calls out before laughing as well. “Oh, can I come with you guys too?” N shouts at Ravi and Leo, causing him to receive a smack from Micha.

“Well hello there, sister.”

“Huh? O-Oh…Minji unnie. What is it?” Micha looks at her sister who suddenly appeared in front of her.  She was quite shocked that her sister actually went up to her. “Will you excuse me for a while? I need to have a word with Hongbin.” Minji says as she gently shoved her sister aside and grabbed Hongbin’s arm.  She pulled him away from the group. “Don’t worry, I’ll be back soon.” He calls out to Micha before disappearing.

“Well that was weird.” N tilts his head. “Should we wait for them or…?” Ken looks at Micha. “Yeah, let’s just wait for them here…” Micha tells the two. “Or…if you want, we can wait at that ‘café’ N’s so hyped about.” She suddenly grinned at N. “Wh-what!? I was just joking back there!” N pouted. “But there truly is a café near here! Want to go there? N, would you kindly recommend us your favourite dishes from there?” Ken plays along. “Oh shut up you.” N smacks Ken’s face, causing the younger one to burst out laughing. Micha says nothing and smiles at the two. “Let’s just wait here. I’m sure the others wouldn’t take so long…”

 

****************************

 

Hongbin was led back into the school where he was met with three more girls. “Oh! Hello again, girls!” He notices Kyungmi. “Oh, Kyungmi! And…you are Minhee, right?” He looks at a shorter girl with pigtails. “Oh, and you’re  Youngmi, Kyungmi’s younger sister.” He then faces a girl with medium-straight brunette-coloured hair. Hongbin recalled the time they chatted back in lunch. “So, Minji , what’s up?” He looks back at the girl. “Awww, you remember their names. Isn’t that cute.” Minji smiles. The three girls blushed before whispering to each other.  Minji walks around Hongbin. “I have something for you. Girls! Where was it?”

 “Here, Minji unnie!” Youngmi gives Minji a piece of envelope.  “Here you go, Hongbin! I was about to put it in your locker but I decided to give it directly to you instead.” Minji handed it over. Hongbin opens up the envelope and looks at the paper inside it. “An invitation?” He looks back up at her. “That is right! You’re invited to the party, silly. I’m hosting it this year. It’s going to be the biggest celebration of the school year!” Minji had a wide smile on her face. “Oh…okay…” Hongbin didn’t sound so convinced. ‘Don’t worry, your friends are coming too. That Ravi guy and that Sanghyuk kid are also coming.” “Huh? Those two are coming too?” “Of course, silly!” Minji reaches out to pinch Hongbin’s cheek. “Well, see you there.” Minji and the girls walked away.  Minji takes one last look at the boy. “Toodles~”

“Minji, wait.”

“Huh?”

“Is…Micha invited too?” Hongbin asks quietly.

 “Huh…well…not really.” Minji tries to explain. “But you’re still going to come right?” She says while doing an aegyo. “Can I take her with me? She can come with me, right?” Hongbin continues. “Yeah yeah, whatever. Sure my sister can come, like I care anyways.” Minji’s tone suddenly changed. She didn’t sound so amused. Before Hongbin could reply, the girl had already turned her back and walked away.

 

---------------------------------------

 

Hi guys ^_^ Sorry for the late delay.

As usual, i apoligize for any errors or typos *bows*